Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short Break in Cairns

Short Break in Cairns

Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about
Default Short Break in Cairns

Just after ideas really....... We are taking my parents to Cairns when they come over to stay with us in March. We also have 2 small children aged 5 & 3. We will have 3 and a half days to actually 'sight see' and wanted to know what are the 'must do/see' things in Cairns. We wanted to plan the itinerary before we go so we don't need to waste time when we arrive. We are staying at a Big 4 Crystal Cascades Park and will have a hire car to get around.

And advice would be great.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:06 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short Break in Cairns

We stayed at the Big 4 park too... was really good...

If you get a chance drive up to Port Douglas for a day; do the sky ride thingy and the train ride back; go see crocs in the river on one of the small boat excursions; go into the city centre and wander around; go for a boat ride out to the reef.

Just a couple to kick start it before all the Cairns folks jump in...
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

craigwills is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chugo101
Just after ideas really....... We are taking my parents to Cairns when they come over to stay with us in March. We also have 2 small children aged 5 & 3. We will have 3 and a half days to actually 'sight see' and wanted to know what are the 'must do/see' things in Cairns. We wanted to plan the itinerary before we go so we don't need to waste time when we arrive. We are staying at a Big 4 Crystal Cascades Park and will have a hire car to get around.

Thanks
ye i live in cairns and if i was here for 3 days i would
1-go out to the reef........if ur only gonna visit the one time then its worth spending a bit and going with quicksilver
2-take a drive to port douglas
3-go on the sky rail,drive up kuranda, and gilles range

also if you got a car and want some good food go to yorkeys knob yacht club
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for advice so far I'm making lots of notes............ are the boat trips to the reef family friendly? I'm not sure how my kids would go being on a boat all day??
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chugo101

Thanks
There's a few ideas and links in this thread of just a few days ago

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506634

I suggest you have one or two things in your mind as back-up as it could be hissing it down with rain in Feb.

The Kuranda trip is best if you go up on the train and back on the skyrail. Less squeeky breaks and the seats are that side.

Port Douglas is best done on a Sunday morning when the market is there. Then take a 15 minute drive further on to Mossman Gorge. A walk through the rainforest alongside the fast flowing river, boulders etc. Very nice day out.

A daytrip up to the Tablelands is good too.