British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   On shore spouse visa - advice needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shore-spouse-visa-advice-needed-109375/)

dp Jul 10th 2002 11:34 pm

On shore spouse visa - advice needed

**I originally responded to another thread regarding another example of on-shore spouse visa. But I was wondering if I can get some advise on our case.

we applied in Oz for a de-facto spouse visa 4 months ago after my partner (a brit) arrived in oz on a tourist visa. I am an auusie and after being made redundant in UK - we thought we would come here and check it out and see if its what we wanted. We checked with immigration in the UK and In oz and they all stated that we were perfectly within our rights.

We put the application in with full medical and police checks and we meet the conditions (have been together 3+ years, and living together for 18 months) they interviewed us, went through our forms (it was about a foot high) and we paid our money, we recieved a letter after 2 weeks asking for a couple of extra forms - which we sent in and since then - nothing. We know that spouse visas are taking shorter and shorter times to be processed in the UK, any idea in Oz?

My partner cannot work - and until we know what is going on it is difficult for me to take on a full time position and I can only take temporary work. The stress is beginning to wear us down.

We have tried to speak to the case officer - but been fobbed off - with the answer that he will email us - but nothing.

Any suggestions/simular situations/expectations on how long to wait.

Is the defacto visa so difficult to get - we assumed it was for people in our position - long term committed couples who dont want to just get married to get a visa. The annoying thing is that he will only get a 2 year temporary visa initially so its not like there is a handout or anything.

We would like to get married and buy a house once this is all sorted out but cannot sell house in UK until know what is going on.

thanks for your time

Bob M Jul 11th 2002 8:20 am

Re: On shore spouse visa - advice needed

We applied On-shore June 1999 Interviewed August 99 Paid and were Granted Bridging
Visa at the same time.

Heard nothing at all even though we contacted the DIMA office every 6 months (no one
ever replied or returned calls)

June 2000 received letter for stage 2 More stat decks and conformation material.
giving us 14 days to reply (took 6 days for thier letter to get to us)

they phoned us to confirm that we would have the stuff in on time.

July 2002 received Temp Visa.

Should have PR soon as the last thing they needed was a new police check which was
mailed back to the a week after the conformation stuff.

So don't worry if it's slow it Will Come.. Get a full Time Job and continue your life
as normal. Make sure that you do everything in both names and keep records of postage
envelopes , letters, bills Purchases in BOTH names.

Best of Luck.. Bob M "dp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > **I originally responded to another thread regarding another example of on-shore
    > spouse visa. But I was wondering if I can get some advise on our case.
    >
    > we applied in Oz for a de-facto spouse visa 4 months ago after my partner (a brit)
    > arrived in oz on a tourist visa. I am an auusie and after being made redundant in
    > UK - we thought we would come here and check it out and see if its what we wanted.
    > We checked with immigration in the UK and In oz and they all stated that we were
    > perfectly within our rights.
    >
    > We put the application in with full medical and police checks and we meet the
    > conditions (have been together 3+ years, and living together for 18 months) they
    > interviewed us, went through our forms (it was about a foot high) and we paid our
    > money, we recieved a letter after 2 weeks asking for a couple of extra forms -
    > which we sent in and since then - nothing. We know that spouse visas are taking
    > shorter and shorter times to be processed in the UK, any idea in Oz?
    >
    > My partner cannot work - and until we know what is going on it is difficult for me
    > to take on a full time position and I can only take temporary work. The stress is
    > beginning to wear us down.
    >
    > We have tried to speak to the case officer - but been fobbed off - with the answer
    > that he will email us - but nothing.
    >
    > Any suggestions/simular situations/expectations on how long to wait.
    >
    > Is the defacto visa so difficult to get - we assumed it was for people in our
    > position - long term committed couples who dont want to just get married to get a
    > visa. The annoying thing is that he will only get a 2 year temporary visa initially
    > so its not like there is a handout or anything.
    >
    > We would like to get married and buy a house once this is all sorted out but cannot
    > sell house in UK until know what is going on.
    >
    > thanks for your time
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

dp Jul 11th 2002 9:23 am

Hi bob,

This means that your application took 3 years to be processed. We were told it should take about 3 months to be processed ( to the stage where my partner- gets the temporary visa , and therefor is allowed to work.

Which office did you put your application in to?

Can you give me any idea of your situation so I can gauge the timline with more insight?

I dont think we can survive for 3 years without my partner being able to work.

thanks for your time and look forward to your response

dp

George Lombard Jul 11th 2002 12:20 pm

Hi dp,

You can't get a simple answer to a complex question like that here. Basically there
is some fundamental issue about either your application and paperwork or background
which is causing the delay, and it might be as simple as a lazy case officer or as
difficult as not having proven 12 months cohabitation.

Depending on where you are I think you should ask a registered migration agent for
advice. In Sydney, try the Immigration Advice and Rights Centre on 92811609.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au dp wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >**I originally responded to another thread regarding another example of on-shore
    >spouse visa. But I was wondering if I can get some advise on our case.
    >
    >we applied in Oz for a de-facto spouse visa 4 months ago after my partner (a brit)
    >arrived in oz on a tourist visa. I am an auusie and after being made redundant in UK
    >- we thought we would come here and check it out and see if its what we wanted. We
    >checked with immigration in the UK and In oz and they all stated that we were
    >perfectly within our rights.
    >
    >We put the application in with full medical and police checks and we meet the
    >conditions (have been together 3+ years, and living together for 18 months) they
    >interviewed us, went through our forms (it was about a foot high) and we paid our
    >money, we recieved a letter after 2 weeks asking for a couple of extra forms - which
    >we sent in and since then - nothing. We know that spouse visas are taking shorter
    >and shorter times to be processed in the UK, any idea in Oz?
    >
    >My partner cannot work - and until we know what is going on it is difficult for me
    >to take on a full time position and I can only take temporary work. The stress is
    >beginning to wear us down.
    >
    >We have tried to speak to the case officer - but been fobbed off - with the answer
    >that he will email us - but nothing.
    >
    >Any suggestions/simular situations/expectations on how long to wait.
    >
    >Is the defacto visa so difficult to get - we assumed it was for people in our
    >position - long term committed couples who dont want to just get married to get a
    >visa. The annoying thing is that he will only get a 2 year temporary visa initially
    >so its not like there is a handout or anything.
    >
    >We would like to get married and buy a house once this is all sorted out but cannot
    >sell house in UK until know what is going on.
    >
    >thanks for your time
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

dp Jul 12th 2002 3:09 am

Yes I understand that its very complex - just wanting to know if anyone else had any ideas.

We have lots of evidence of relationship and all the forms - just have to assume that we will hear something soon... if we dont go crazy in the meantime