Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shopping in perth ???

shopping in perth ???

Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:44 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shopping in perth ???

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Yeah they are ok i suppose, like i said you get used to it.
I do like Karrinyup Mall and i know there are afew more i would like to try that i have heard of.
But in general the clothes shopping to me is nothing compared to the UK for choice.
Melbourne is a different kettle of fish though so they say.

Shopping is no different in Melbourne, same shops selling the same stuff just more of them.

Sam
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard Carousel is good, but i don't know where it is!!

Laura Ashley not my thing, too flowerey for me, more my mums thing.
Carousel is the place to go. It's massive and has everything you need.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Carousel is the place to go. It's massive and has everything you need.
Do they have Aunt Bessie's Yorkshire Puddings or proper Marmite?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Shopping is no different in Melbourne, same shops selling the same stuff just more of them.

Sam
That was certainly not my experience when I lived in Melbourne, there are a lot of small individual type clothes shops that do stuff that is not sold in the mainstream shops like Myers and DJs....areas like Fitzroy etc has some great shops.

Cheers

Paul
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:40 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Do they have Aunt Bessie's Yorkshire Puddings or proper Marmite?
And washing powder that washes
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:43 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sme
And washing powder that washes

Don't buy any branded latest designs. No one here to see what you are wearing. I have not seen anyone walking on streets here other than the few tourist hop around in Perth City area. Instead, find a good heater.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bru
Don't buy any branded latest designs. No one here to see what you are wearing. I have not seen anyone walking on streets here other than the few tourist hop around in Perth City area. Instead, find a good heater.
Harbour town is a big outlet full of clothes shop, not bad for shoes too.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:12 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard Carousel is good, but i don't know where it is!!

Laura Ashley not my thing, too flowerey for me, more my mums thing.
Carousel is bigger than all the other malls, but has the same old Katies, Sussan, Rockmans etc.etc., nothing different or worth driving down there for, but that's my opinion.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:11 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen some threads in the past with bad advice, but this one is right up there. So there are no decent clothes shops here. Childrebs clothes are as good if not better at Target than any we ever bought at Next or M&S in the Uk.......and a fraction of the price. Y.D is an excellent shop for trendy mens clothes, right up there with any I have seen in the UK, and my wife has found loads of clothes shops that she enjoys, and thats just at Whitfords, as others have said you also have Myer and David Jones, equivalent to stores like Debenhams in the UK, so dont worry there are plenty of clothes shops here. As for winter depends which coast you are heading for, the temp on the west coast rarely drops below 55-60 all year round, so think what you would wear in that weather in the UK. We left loads of our cold weather clothes in charity shops in the UK, and havent really found the need to replace many of them.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:23 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I think Next are cack.

Just thought I'd add that. Not sure why I felt the need

To be fair, we only spent one week in Perth so it's hardly right that I comment on the clothes!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
I have seen some threads in the past with bad advice, but this one is right up there. So there are no decent clothes shops here. Childrebs clothes are as good if not better at Target than any we ever bought at Next or M&S in the Uk.......and a fraction of the price. Y.D is an excellent shop for trendy mens clothes, right up there with any I have seen in the UK, and my wife has found loads of clothes shops that she enjoys, and thats just at Whitfords, as others have said you also have Myer and David Jones, equivalent to stores like Debenhams in the UK, so dont worry there are plenty of clothes shops here. As for winter depends which coast you are heading for, the temp on the west coast rarely drops below 55-60 all year round, so think what you would wear in that weather in the UK. We left loads of our cold weather clothes in charity shops in the UK, and havent really found the need to replace many of them.
I guess it just depends what you were used to in the UK, we used to have a lot of "non high street" type shops near us in the UK (in Brighton) and you do not get that sort of stuff in Perth. There are some good kids shops here but they tend to be quite pricey (Oblong etc), although as you say you can get basic stuff in target, although not sure I would agree about the comparison to M&S. In the end it just depends on what you like and if you like clothes shopping (like my wife does!) then there is a good chance that you may not be satisfied with the options in Perth. This is actually a sentiment shared by a lot of the younger people I work with who also tend to stock up when over in Melbourne.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
I guess it just depends what you were used to in the UK, we used to have a lot of "non high street" type shops near us in the UK (in Brighton) and you do not get that sort of stuff in Perth. There are some good kids shops here but they tend to be quite pricey (Oblong etc), although as you say you can get basic stuff in target, although not sure I would agree about the comparison to M&S. In the end it just depends on what you like and if you like clothes shopping (like my wife does!) then there is a good chance that you may not be satisfied with the options in Perth. This is actually a sentiment shared by a lot of the younger people I work with who also tend to stock up when over in Melbourne.
I have to agree with this and so do many shop assistants i talk to. They say if you want better chioce and value...off you go to Melbourne. Just gets expensive these plane flights
I loved shopping in UK, was my favourite hobby but now i just wear the stuff you can get here unfortunatley, i always get holes in my T-shirts though after afew washes. Cheap quality i put it down to. Target is more like Primark. Cheap and cheerful.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:21 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
But that is your opinion CF and others have the right to theirs. There must be something in the fact that so many people say that the choice and the quality here is not what they are used to, surely? You cannot say that other people are giving 'bad advice' and that your advice is the one they should take note of just because you and your family have found what you like here.

As for the temperature never rarely dropping below 55Fº, that is just not so. It gets very cold in the winter evenings here, even sometimes in November and December, so in my opinion, you do need sweatshirts, jumpers and even coats or a warm jacket if you go out in the winter evenings. Temperatures drop down to 30Fº on many a night in the winter here.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
But that is your opinion CF and others have the right to theirs. There must be something in the fact that so many people say that the choice and the quality here is not what they are used to, surely? You cannot say that other people are giving 'bad advice' and that your advice is the one they should take note of just because you and your family have found what you like here.

As for the temperature never rarely dropping below 55Fº, that is just not so. It gets very cold in the winter evenings here, even sometimes in November and December, so in my opinion, you do need sweatshirts, jumpers and even coats or a warm jacket if you go out in the winter evenings. Temperatures drop down to 30Fº on many a night in the winter here.
Whats all this Fahrenheit stuff!

You might wake up in the morning and on a few days at 6am it'll be about 4 or 5 degrees centigrade (around 40F in old money ) but it practically never gets down below 0C here (32F). Even in winter Daytime temps hardly ever dont reach 60F.
Still bloody cold once your body's has adjusted to the much warmer constant summer temps, you definitely need a jacket at night to go out in winter.

Just checked BOM:

Lowest Day Lowest Overnight Mean O/N low Mean Daytime High
June06 15.8C -0.7C 5.8C 20.3C
July06 14.6C 0.2C 6.5C 18.8C
August06 16.0C 3.1C 9.7C 20.2C
Sept06 16.4C 3.7C 10C 20.6C

Last edited by steve99; Feb 14th 2007 at 2:00 am.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:00 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by steve99
Whats all this Fahrenheit stuff!

You might wake up in the morning and on a few days at 6am it'll be about 4 or 5 degrees centigrade (around 40F in old money, but it practically never gets down below 0C here. Even in winter Daytime temps hardly ever dont reach 60F.
Still bloody cold once your body's has adjusted to the much warmer constant summer temps, you definitely need a jacket at night to go out in winter.
Hi my gooner friend, I only answered in Fº 'cos the other person did (had to look it up tho'), but I beg to differ about it only being cold on a few days. Hubby (when he's here) goes off to work around 5.30-6am most days and it is definitely cold on more than just afew mornings.

Are you getting up in the early hours to watch the match?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.