Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shopping in Melbourne?

Shopping in Melbourne?

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:07 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold
Default Shopping in Melbourne?

I am in Melbourne next weekend for work and my wife has 'requested' a present. Now the only time I am going to get is Saturday evening. Are any shopping areas going to be open late bearing in mind I wont have any transport of my own. Hotel's in Collins Street if that helps.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by benny the ball
I am in Melbourne next weekend for work and my wife has 'requested' a present. Now the only time I am going to get is Saturday evening. Are any shopping areas going to be open late bearing in mind I wont have any transport of my own. Hotel's in Collins Street if that helps.
Not sure about opening hours Saturday evening but plenty of shops and shopping complexes in Collins St and nearby. I checked one I know and they close at 5.00 pm on Saturday. If you are staying in the Novotel it is part of this complex so you won't have far to go. However there's also the Grand Hyatt, Sofitel etc at the eastern end of Collins St; Le Meridian at the other end but all within comfortable walking distance.

http://www.australiaoncollins.com.au/

At a guess you are going to be limited after 5.00 pm.

OzTennis
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:05 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Cheers. We're staying at the Hilton Rialto. I dont expect we will leave the circuit until about 6.30pm so it looks like I could be out of luck.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:35 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. We're staying at the Hilton Rialto. I dont expect we will leave the circuit until about 6.30pm so it looks like I could be out of luck.
Ohhh, the Rialto - make sure you go to the viewing platform!!!

Graham
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that the Hilton has taken over the Le Meridian hotel at Rialto?

If so here's your hotel (the lovely old building in the front not the hitherto tallest building in the southern hemisphere behind it) from:

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/ima...photos/026.jpg

Being at that end of Collins St you aren't far from Docklands (walking distance) and there might be some shopping opportunities there on Sat evening.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Shopping in Melbourne?-026.jpg  
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now I spot the possible wind-up? You are staying in Hilton Rialto in Melbourne, FLORIDA.

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=MLBMHHF

OzTennis
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:08 am
Humble vaudevillian

Cheers OzTennis
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:10 am
Humble vaudevillian

No, def Australia, since I'm at the GP. Only going by the itinery given out by race team secretary which says Hilton Rialto on Collins.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, def Australia, since I'm at the GP. Only going by the itinery given out by race team secretary which says Hilton Rialto on Collins.
Check with organiser then he might have got his Melbourne's mixed up and booked you into the wrong city and continent! :scared:

There's a Hilton at Melbourne Airport and one in East Melbourne.

Alternatively there is the Novotel Melbourne on Collins, the Rialto on Collins, the Oaks on Collins, the Oakford on Collins etc which all have on Collins in their name. And there is the Grand Hyatt, Sofitel etc all in Collins St.

Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:39 am
Humble vaudevillian

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Check with organiser then he might have got his Melbourne's mixed up and booked you into the wrong city and continent! :scared:

There's a Hilton at Melbourne Airport and one in East Melbourne.

Alternatively there is the Novotel Melbourne on Collins, the Rialto on Collins, the Oaks on Collins, the Oakford on Collins etc which all have on Collins in their name. And there is the Grand Hyatt, Sofitel etc all in Collins St.

Good luck!

OzTennis
It's the Rialto on Collins. As the rest of the team are already there, it's not going to be a problem. The shopping on the other hand....
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's the Rialto on Collins. As the rest of the team are already there, it's not going to be a problem. The shopping on the other hand....
Right, Le Meridian Rialto, a lovely 5 star hotel. Have a look at the building across the road with McPherson's on (one of Australia's biggest firms of Engineers Suppliers) - my first job in the Marketing and Corporate Planning Dept was there! I know that end of town well. Enjoy

OzTennis
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:59 am
Humble vaudevillian

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Right, Le Meridian Rialto, a lovely 5 star hotel. Have a look at the building across the road with McPherson's on (one of Australia's biggest firms of Engineers Suppliers) - my first job in the Marketing and Corporate Planning Dept was there! I know that end of town well. Enjoy

OzTennis

Now owned by Intercontinental not Le Meridian
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now owned by Intercontinental not Le Meridian
Ah! Le Meridian still own the Westin in Collins St and must have recently sold Rialto to InterContinental which grew out of Bass breweries (recently sold off). InterContinetal also own Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Parkroyal, Tennents Caledonian, Carlsberg-Tetley, etc. Big mob!

OzTennis