shoe sizes

Old Mar 3rd 2003, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shoe sizes

I was shopping for shoes on Saturday (in Adelaide) when I remembered that womens shoe sizes are different in Asia and Australia to the UK. So if you are planning to stop over in Asia on the way here, and are thinking of buying some shoes, make sure you try them on before purchase. Womens shoes here are two sizes bigger than the UK. If you were a size 6 in the UK you'll need an 8 in Asia or Australia. Just a bit of trivia for you. adelaidegirl
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 4:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: shoe sizes

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
I was shopping for shoes on Saturday (in Adelaide) when I remembered that womens shoe sizes are different in Asia and Australia to the UK. So if you are planning to stop over in Asia on the way here, and are thinking of buying some shoes, make sure you try them on before purchase. Womens shoes here are two sizes bigger than the UK. If you were a size 6 in the UK you'll need an 8 in Asia or Australia. Just a bit of trivia for you. adelaidegirl
Hi,
I have difficulty buying shoes here in Aus, I'm a UK 4. Here in Aus, depending on the shoe, I wear size 5 and 6's (aussie sizes) . Some 6's are just way too big. I saw a chart somewhere (can't remember what web site it was on now, I think it was the doc martin site) that listed a uk 4 as an aussie 5 1/2 (there was a one and half size difference in the chart I saw - so it sort of ties in with the difficulty I have getting for shoes to fit perfectly, I can't seem to find any aussie half sizes here at all, so I either wear aussie 5's or 6's depending on the fit of the shoes.(instead of what I should be wearing - a 5 1/2 which I am unable to get/find)

I did a search a few months back on the net looking for size charts because of the difficulty I have finding "perfect" shoes - every chart I came across was different, some said like you have mentioned it's two sizes bigger, then other charts list them a size and a half bigger - I'm going with the size and a half bigger chart because I do find most 6's here (which is supposed to be a uk 4) too big for me.

cheers

P.s - I also find the clothes sizes diff as well , I have to go down a size here. I found this in Asia too, there's a huge difference in the clothing so called sizes, like when I used to buy things such as shorts, trousers in Asia they fitted perfectly an 8 was an 8, a 10 was a uk 10 , but the tops such as blouses etc were smaller they were were always tighter across the back (I think they were made narrower for the Asian body) . In Aus I actually find an 8 is more like a uk 10 and a 10 is like a uk 12 - they seem to be a wee bit bigger/looser sizes here than the uk sizes - just my experience anyway.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 3rd 2003 at 4:46 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Ceri, you are right about the clothes sizes. I am a 16 here (OK, so shoot me) and was horrified when I was in UK last year and had to buy an 18. I'll be back there for a few days next month, will steer clear of the clothes shops, don't want to depress myself! cheers adelaidegirl
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 5:03 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ceri
Hi,
I have difficulty buying shoes here in Aus, I'm a UK 4. Here in Aus, depending on the shoe, I wear size 5 and 6's (aussie sizes) . Some 6's are just way too big. I saw a chart somewhere (can't remember what web site it was on now, I think it was the doc martin site) that listed a uk 4 as an aussie 5 1/2 (there was a one and half size difference in the chart I saw - so it sort of ties in with the difficulty I have getting for shoes to fit perfectly, I can't seem to find any aussie half sizes here at all, so I either wear aussie 5's or 6's depending on the fit of the shoes.(instead of what I should be wearing - a 5 1/2 which I am unable to get/find)

I did a search a few months back on the net looking for size charts because of the difficulty I have finding "perfect" shoes - every chart I came across was different, some said like you have mentioned it's two sizes bigger, then other charts list them a size and a half bigger - I'm going with the size and a half bigger chart because I do find most 6's here (which is supposed to be a uk 4) too big for me.

cheers

P.s - I also find the clothes sizes diff as well , I have to go down a size here. I found this in Asia too, there's a huge difference in the clothing so called sizes, like when I used to buy things such as shorts, trousers in Asia they fitted perfectly an 8 was an 8, a 10 was a uk 10 , but the tops such as blouses etc were smaller they were were always tighter across the back (I think they were made narrower for the Asian body) . In Aus I actually find an 8 is more like a uk 10 and a 10 is like a uk 12 - they seem to be a wee bit bigger/looser sizes here than the uk sizes - just my experience anyway.
so that explains it. went shopping for clothes with my wife (birthday) yesterday and everything was too big. she's tiny, a size 6 or 8 in the uk and even the size 6 stuff here was a bit too big. we thought either she's shrunk, which i think is possible as she is a pixie, or the clothes here are weird sizes!
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 5:18 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Ceri, you are right about the clothes sizes. I am a 16 here (OK, so shoot me) and was horrified when I was in UK last year and had to buy an 18. I'll be back there for a few days next month, will steer clear of the clothes shops, don't want to depress myself! cheers adelaidegirl
My friend back home is a size 16 in most shops/brands in the UK - she goes shopping in BHS sometimes for the own brand Jeans/trousers - and gets into a size 12 there which makes her really 'chuffed" I suppose it depends on the shop/brand too.

Now on the other hand, although I think female aussie clothing is a wee bit bigger than the UK, I find men's clothing smaller here - my "hubby" wears large T-shirt /tops etc here, when in the Uk he used to wear medium, unless he's put on weight and I haven't noticed!

cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 5:25 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Herman
so that explains it. went shopping for clothes with my wife (birthday) yesterday and everything was too big. she's tiny, a size 6 or 8 in the uk and even the size 6 stuff here was a bit too big. we thought either she's shrunk, which i think is possible as she is a pixie, or the clothes here are weird sizes!
Maybe she should try the young fashion surf type shops, the ones meant for teens - like "valley girl" etc, they tend to be a bit smaller in sizes because they are made for the 16, 17 year old etc - slimmer.

that's if she dosen't mind looking like a young 17 year old - who wouldn't?!!

cheers