Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shocked at Oz Customer service!

Shocked at Oz Customer service!

Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future
Default Shocked at Oz Customer service!

Over the last few weeks we've had to ring agents, Banks and government offices in Aus for various things and we've been shocked that A: Every single call we got through to a human being first time (ie no IVR menus), B: The people all knew what they were doing and C: They were all polite, courteous and Friendly.

For instance my wife called the Pet import DAFF (or whatever they are called) in Oz and they were amazingly friendly and helpful, but she also had to call the British equivalent with a question on Export certificates and the girl on the end of the phone answered with ''What'' ''what do you want'' long pause then ''what'' again, absolutley no courtesy and downright miserable and thinking about it the majority of times this is what we nowadays get in UK with the rise of front end agents manning call centres who generally don't know anything about their jobs.

Just a simple observation based on a snapshot, whats been everyone elses general experience?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:04 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shocked at Oz Customer service!

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Over the last few weeks we've had to ring agents, Banks and government offices in Aus for various things and we've been shocked that A: Every single call we got through to a human being first time (ie no IVR menus), B: The people all knew what they were doing and C: They were all polite, courteous and Friendly.

For instance my wife called the Pet import DAFF (or whatever they are called) in Oz and they were amazingly friendly and helpful, but she also had to call the British equivalent with a question on Export certificates and the girl on the end of the phone answered with ''What'' ''what do you want'' long pause then ''what'' again, absolutley no courtesy and downright miserable and thinking about it the majority of times this is what we nowadays get in UK with the rise of front end agents manning call centres who generally don't know anything about their jobs.

Just a simple observation based on a snapshot, whats been everyone elses general experience?
Dealing with Gvt agencies here has been excellent... had no probs whatsoever, even had excellent service in Kmart!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:11 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

wait till you have to deal with rental agents - that'll soon reset your opinions ;-)
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=caleb2003;4266270]Over the last few weeks we've had to ring agents, Banks and government offices in Aus for various things and we've been shocked that A: Every single call we got through to a human being first time (ie no IVR menus), B: The people all knew what they were doing and C: They were all polite, courteous and Friendly.

QUOTE]

Odd, all the major banks usually have recorded menus to go through first. Which bank connects direct to consultants?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Obviously not Clownsville then

WW
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:17 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Or wait until you need to complain about something, you'll soon see how courteous some folk are here

I've learned one thing here; always keep receipts for everything, get peoples names on the phone when you've talked to someone, and be prepared to wait...forever...to get anything official done! Then again, I do live in the 'Wait Awhile; state
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

billywetpants will become famous soon enough

I have found the general levels of customer service shockingly bad. Especially telstra who took nearly 3 months to get me online, mainly waiting for the modem I spent forever on hold while they tried to sort it out.
Dealing with the rental agency is awful one broken promise after another all my problems were at the beginning setting things up etc.
All sorted now so life is wonderful again.

Dean
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billywetpants
I have found the general levels of customer service shockingly bad. Especially telstra who took nearly 3 months to get me online, mainly waiting for the modem I spent forever on hold while they tried to sort it out.
Dealing with the rental agency is awful one broken promise after another all my problems were at the beginning setting things up etc.
All sorted now so life is wonderful again.

Dean
Coles here are great. I had a small bunch of grapes and the woman accused me of eating half on the way round the store !! I honestly thought I was going to have to be weighed on the way in and way out and charged for any difference !
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=The Bloke;4266317]

QUOTE]

Odd, all the major banks usually have recorded menus to go through first. Which bank connects direct to consultants?

The bank is Westpac but I suppose it could have been their international number.

Thanks for the comments,
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billywetpants
Funny how we get different impressions of companies. We had a 99.9% cock up rate from all the companies we dealt with. The only one to get it right first time, and I really do mean the ONLY one, was Telstra.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

When i ring big companies such as my Bank i have to wait in an automated line, so god knows how you get straight through. I also find it quite annoying that some don't understand me, the accent. I feel i need a parrot on my shoulder
Then again some calls i make are OK, luck of the draw i guess.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

billywetpants will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Funny how we get different impressions of companies. We had a 99.9% cock up rate from all the companies we dealt with. The only one to get it right first time, and I really do mean the ONLY one, was Telstra.
just goes to show you can never take only one persons view to form opinions.

Dean
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

I agree totally!! People are quick to critasize and complain when things arnt going your way....try ringing British Gas or NTL....NO CHANCE - and when after half an hour of waiting for NTL they couldnt help so told me they needed to out me through to faults dept...who promptly cut me off!! VIRGIN BLUE! Totally different!! friendly person answered after two rings!! I asked her how come you dont have automated service and she said many companies work like theirs and that Australian people "wouldnt put up with it!!"
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
Australian people "wouldnt put up with it!!"
Well they do because Virgin Blue must be the exception. Every other organisation that I have called here has had automated menus.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:56 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speargun
I agree totally!! People are quick to critasize and complain when things arnt going your way....try ringing British Gas or NTL....NO CHANCE - and when after half an hour of waiting for NTL they couldnt help so told me they needed to out me through to faults dept...who promptly cut me off!! VIRGIN BLUE! Totally different!! friendly person answered after two rings!! I asked her how come you dont have automated service and she said many companies work like theirs and that Australian people "wouldnt put up with it!!"
Were you calling Virgin Blue to buy some tickets, by any chance? I've often found that if you call a company's sales department you get through straight away to a person, but if you are calling customer services (ie you have a problem you wish to discuss with someone) you have to go through an automated system. Funny that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.