British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shock/Puzzled letter from LHC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shock-puzzled-letter-lhc-107168/)

Lynn-ann Mar 24th 2002 7:37 am

Shock/Puzzled letter from LHC

Shocked to have a letter at last from LHC. Heart though the floor as it does. Then worry because it was a big letter so then (What Now?) kicks in.
Open letter, puzzled. THey want to have a medical and character check of Vaughan's 17 year old son of previous marrige even though he is not going with us.
Then felt positive because included in the letter: Please forward passport with the reguested information.
So although it means alittle longer wait to get medical's done and sent in, it still looks like Vaughan's spouse visa is just around the corner.
We had no idea that they would want this information until now, so anyone out there who might have stepchildren be warned.

jet Mar 24th 2002 9:28 am

Re: Shock/Puzzled letter from LHC

Dear Lynne ann

I too got the same shock as you when it was requested that my 2 children also undergo medicals when I do even though they are not going with me. I received 3 medicals forms for us all and 1 chest xray form for myself but when I rang Hull Hospital I was informed that we as from March 25th we would all require X-Rays (bumping up my expenses even more!!!) I was also informed by the secretary that my 15 yr old daughter would have to undergo the blood test for HIV! Full cost for all this treatment was £500.

This is were my problems set in, my ex husband quite understandably refused to let our daughter be tested for HIV because of insurance implications as she got older etc. I rang the hospital and spoke to a senior member of staff who had never come across the problem of only the parent leaving but the children having to have the medical, she very kindly rang AHC medical dept for me and was told by a doctor there that as my daughter wouldnt be living in the country she didnt need the blood test and as my immigration officer had only sent one chest xray form not to have them xrayed either and all being well that should be suffice.

Aparently the reason for children not emigrating to be checked is that if anything happens to the person they are living with chances are they would come and live with the remaining parent and AHC need to check that the child wouldnt be a burden on the Australia Medical system....or at least thats the reason I was given!!

Hope it all goes ok and you get your visa soon but it does sound encouraging them asking for the passport. Debs

Lynn-ann Mar 24th 2002 11:29 pm

Debs, Thanks for your answer. Vaughan's son Grant came over today and bless him filled the charater ref. form, its now in the post. Now just the medical to go, hope we can get an appointment soon. Best wishers to you.

Smiley Mar 26th 2002 4:07 am

Anyone have experience with less accomodating ex-spouses? We sent money to his ex to
pay for child medicals, but she refused. They live interstate, and we cannot get them
to come visit here & do medicals here, so we requested a waiver from DIMA. HAs anyone
else done this? Any idea how long we can wait for a response now?

thanks Smiley

Lynn-ann <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Debs, Thanks for your answer. Vaughan's son Grant came over today and bless him
    > filled the charater ref. form, its now in the post. Now just the medical to go,
    > hope we can get an appointment soon. Best wishers to you.