Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping work tools?

Shipping work tools?

Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Question Shipping work tools?

Hi,
My hubby is a motor mechanic and we are off to Adelaide soon, the thing is he has a lot of tools and needs them sooner than a ship would get there.
I was wondering if anyone has used air freight, and if so who?
Thankyou.
Libby
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:16 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping work tools?

Hi Libby

We have not organised any freight yet, but if I were in your position, I would do one of two things:

Do a search on this forum, I would be surprised if no one has come up against the same problem and found a solution, or at least someone who has the answer.

It sounds like you have arranged for all your other belongings to go to Oz via sea, so I would pose the question to whoever you are using to transport all your other items. I would be amazed if they did not know the answer.

On a final note though, if you are sending by air and your hubby has a lot of heavy tools it will most likely cost an arm and a leg to get them over there.

Best of luck, Gary

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Hi,
My hubby is a motor mechanic and we are off to Adelaide soon, the thing is he has a lot of tools and needs them sooner than a ship would get there.
Thankyou.
Libby
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Libby

We have not organised any freight yet, but if I were in your position, I would do one of two things:

Do a search on this forum, I would be surprised if no one has come up against the same problem and found a solution, or at least someone who has the answer.

It sounds like you have arranged for all your other belongings to go to Oz via sea, so I would pose the question to whoever you are using to transport all your other items. I would be amazed if they did not know the answer.

On a final note though, if you are sending by air and your hubby has a lot of heavy tools it will most likely cost an arm and a leg to get them over there.

Best of luck, Gary
Thankyou for that Gary,
We are actually not taking anything with us other that what we can fit it suitcases. A little mad perhaps but we had a quote from a couple of shippers.
For saying we were only taking 2 sofas, 1 kingsize bed, and a few boxes of stuff we thought £1845.00 and £1690.00 was a bit steep.
Take care,
Libby.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:49 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Libby

No problem, glad to help.

If you are going to Sandown, maybe you could ask there.

Just a thought.

Gary

Thankyou for that Gary,
We are actually not taking anything with us other that what we can fit it suitcases. A little mad perhaps but we had a quote from a couple of shippers.
For saying we were only taking 2 sofas, 1 kingsize bed, and a few boxes of stuff we thought £1845.00 and £1690.00 was a bit steep.
Take care,
Libby.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

chrisp6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Libby,
Who was the quotes with?
How big a container was it for?
Regards
Chris
Thankyou for that Gary,
Take care,
Libby.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisp6
Libby,
Who was the quotes with?
How big a container was it for?
Regards
Chris
Chris,

Cant remember exactly what the cubic measurement was but it was around 300 - 350. In a shared container. One was Donner, the other Atlantis.
Sorry I cant be more help.

Take care
Libby
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

pete hoy is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Thankyou.
Libby
Hi Libby
I,m in the same position i,ve loads of joinery tools going out when i checked it out online with DHL it came to nearly £700 by airfreight. I,ve decided to buy some basic tools just to get me started till our shipment arrives. Our 20ft container inc insurance is nearly £4000 with Anglo Pacific hope this helps

PETE-H
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thankyou.
Libby
TRY an online quote, with www.excessbaggage.com we clear tool shipments for people all the time. .................. mm
Old Mar 5th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr mover
TRY an online quote, with www.excessbaggage.com we clear tool shipments for people all the time. .................. mm
Thankyou for that, we have submitted an online quote.
Libby.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point

We sent six boxe's of mechanic's tool's,every one had the padlocks smashed off,and any thing with Snap-on it removed.Insurance company did'nt want to know,as each tool was'nt listed seperalty. Ot appears we were only covered if the whole lot went missing,just some thing to think about
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:20 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chew
We sent six boxe's of mechanic's tool's,every one had the padlocks smashed off,and any thing with Snap-on it removed.Insurance company did'nt want to know,as each tool was'nt listed seperalty. Ot appears we were only covered if the whole lot went missing,just some thing to think about
Who was that with, and was it sea freight or air freight??????? mm
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr mover
Who was that with, and was it sea freight or air freight??????? mm
Hi,
It was air freight, I will let you know what the quote was if they email me back.

Libby
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Hi,
Thankyou.
Libby

Libby

Hubby took around 45kg worth of tools when he came - just paid excess baggage. He has sent the rest on the ship which is due to arrive shortly (after 8 weeks)!!! I do know that one piece of item should not weigh more than 32kgs - we therefore had to juggle the tools around to even the baggage weight - they complain about the staff having to pick up the luggage that is heavy - that was on BA.

Yvette
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by capacity
Libby

Hubby took around 45kg worth of tools when he came - just paid excess baggage. He has sent the rest on the ship which is due to arrive shortly (after 8 weeks)!!! I do know that one piece of item should not weigh more than 32kgs - we therefore had to juggle the tools around to even the baggage weight - they complain about the staff having to pick up the luggage that is heavy - that was on BA.

Yvette
Hi Yvette,

Did not even think about doing that way. John has about 52Kg to go with.
Was it expensive that way?

Thankyou
Libby
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
Thankyou.
Libby

Hi There,

I've been wondering about this myself - hubby is an electrical engineer and obviously has heavy tools that he'll need to take but, like yourself, we're not sure what will be the best way to send them.

We're going to the Emigrate show at Sandown on the 18th March and if we find out anything useful regarding this I'll post info on here.

Take care
Kari

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.