Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Wicker Furniture anyone?

Shipping Wicker Furniture anyone?

Old Feb 14th 2006, 6:36 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Wicker Furniture anyone?

We had Pickfords here a couple of weeks ago and the bloke told us that shipping wicker furniture was a big no no because it would end up getting fumigated and cost us a fortune. Fair enough I thought - its only bathroom furniture - so I sold it. Now however I have realised that the flamin seats of our Dining Table & Chairs are Wicker/Straw!! I've emailed Pickfords who have said 'it shouldn't be a problem'! But what does that mean?? Do they know for sure that it won't cost us or what? Has anyone else shipped similar goods please??

TIA

Rach xxxx

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping Wicker Furniture anyone?

Ive just had crown round today for a quote were off to sunshine coast in June he said NO wicker/cane furniture ive got some chairs too.
My friend went to Queensland last year and was told to change her dining chair seats as they were wicker seats. helen
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helen/andy
Ive just had crown round today for a quote were off to sunshine coast in June he said NO wicker/cane furniture ive got some chairs too.
My friend went to Queensland last year and was told to change her dining chair seats as they were wicker seats. helen
This isn't sounding good!
We have some wicker goods I was planning to take.
We also have mexican reclaimed pine furniture, was planning on bringing that too! Shipping costs are going to be cheap at this rate! Does anybody know the cost of putting these items through quarantine?
Leigh
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:32 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

We have loads of wicker........but its a no go for us. Not happy, but its a small price to pay for our new lives in Oz.....

Trish xx
Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:35 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
This isn't sounding good!
We have some wicker goods I was planning to take.
We also have mexican reclaimed pine furniture, was planning on bringing that too! Shipping costs are going to be cheap at this rate! Does anybody know the cost of putting these items through quarantine?
Leigh
Sorry Leigh I don't know the costs. I think you should be ok with the pine furniture though. Its things like wicker, straw & rope etc that they're not keen on. Any other wood seems to be ok (well all of our furniture is wood so god help us if it isn't!! :scared: )

Cheers

Rach xxxx

Old Feb 14th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tygwyn
We had Pickfords here a couple of weeks ago and the bloke told us that shipping wicker furniture was a big no no because it would end up getting fumigated and cost us a fortune. Fair enough I thought - its only bathroom furniture - so I sold it. Now however I have realised that the flamin seats of our Dining Table & Chairs are Wicker/Straw!! I've emailed Pickfords who have said 'it shouldn't be a problem'! But what does that mean?? Do they know for sure that it won't cost us or what? Has anyone else shipped similar goods please??

TIA

Rach xxxx

I've got wicker baskets and our movers say she would double-check with them...she said the response she got was that wicker is acceptable as long as it has been treated/varnished etc.
If it ia a manufactured item bought,it should br fine.
Lynn
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
I've got wicker baskets and our movers say she would double-check with them...she said the response she got was that wicker is acceptable as long as it has been treated/varnished etc.
If it ia a manufactured item bought,it should br fine.
Lynn
Hi Lynn

Thanks for that. Our man told us wicker was pretty much a no no! Looks like its another one of those things where we all get different answers! I think we'll probably end up selling the table and chairs 'just in case'. I don't like it enough to have to spend more money on it when they decide to fumigate it!! :scared:

I'll get myself to IKEA within 24 hours of arrival I reckon! That should see me right!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Feb 15th 2006, 9:45 am
www.perthcrest.com.au

The Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud of

TIA

Rach xxxx

Hi Rach

We had Pickfords round yesterday, and they said our wicker conservatory furniture would be fine, although it would probably be treated over there and there would be a small charge, but he said definately to take it!

They seem to be singing from a different song sheet!

Nicola
x
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Vallies
Hi Rach

We had Pickfords round yesterday, and they said our wicker conservatory furniture would be fine, although it would probably be treated over there and there would be a small charge, but he said definately to take it!

They seem to be singing from a different song sheet!

Nicola
x

if you look at the aus customs site, i believe theres a list of no no's on it.

i was told that fumigation was about $250 but dont quote me
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:25 am

Question Re: Shipping Wicker Furniture anyone?

Originally Posted by debbiemc
if you look at the aus customs site, i believe theres a list of no no's on it.

i was told that fumigation was about $250 but dont quote me

Hi Debbie - thats my worry - this 'small charge' may turn into hundreds and to be honest the table and chairs isn't worth it. I'll sell them and look forward to getting a new one when we arrive. At least that way we don't have to wait around for it!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:28 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

TIA

Rach xxxx

Our stuff is still on the high seas, but we're worried about our dining chairs, which are woven bannana leaves. We were warned about sending them, but a very helpful person at the department that deals with the imports, said that it could cost $500 or have to be destroyed... it's a gamble!
Should find out in a few weeks.
Neil.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Unfortunatley, Wicker and aussie customs just don't mix. I'd say sell it and by new over here. The wicker furniture is lovely out here. You might get lucky and get it through, I had all my furniture arrive a couple of weeks ago, I had a wicker floor standing vase shipped over and luckily enough it passed customs. But the shippers just put down it was a vase-not a wicker vase. I shopuldn't imagine they check absolutley everything that comes through, but something as big as a table and chairs is bound to be checked. And might have to be put down its wicker. I had a hand drum that was stopped at customs and it is still there now. It got stopped because of the skin, so I have to write a letter to them telling them its over 5 years old! I might get it back then, if not I have to pay $300 to have it skimmed, or $25 to get it destroyed It makes me sick, cos they sell the same drums everywhere over here. Also if your taking your Xmas tree over, make sure its one without cones on. That something else we couldn't bring with us because of the pine cones.
Hope this helps.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by funkybuddah
Unfortunatley, Wicker and aussie customs just don't mix. I'd say sell it and by new over here. The wicker furniture is lovely out here. You might get lucky and get it through, I had all my furniture arrive a couple of weeks ago, I had a wicker floor standing vase shipped over and luckily enough it passed customs. But the shippers just put down it was a vase-not a wicker vase. I shopuldn't imagine they check absolutley everything that comes through, but something as big as a table and chairs is bound to be checked. And might have to be put down its wicker. I had a hand drum that was stopped at customs and it is still there now. It got stopped because of the skin, so I have to write a letter to them telling them its over 5 years old! I might get it back then, if not I have to pay $300 to have it skimmed, or $25 to get it destroyed It makes me sick, cos they sell the same drums everywhere over here. Also if your taking your Xmas tree over, make sure its one without cones on. That something else we couldn't bring with us because of the pine cones.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for that funky! God it sounds ridiculous doesnt it but I suppose there are reasons for it? !!

I'm a shopaholic though so a trip to IKEA when I get there wont kill me!

Trouble is if I sell the table and chairs now I've got sod all to put my PC on! :scared: The desk has already been sold. God this house is looking emptier by the minute! Bring on 22nd March when the entire lots goes!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:24 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=tygwyn]We had Pickfords here a couple of weeks ago and the bloke told us that shipping wicker furniture was a big no no because it would end up getting fumigated and cost us a fortune. Fair enough I thought - its only bathroom furniture - so I sold it. Now however I have realised that the flamin seats of our Dining Table & Chairs are Wicker/Straw!! I've emailed Pickfords who have said 'it shouldn't be a problem'! But what does that mean?? Do they know for sure that it won't cost us or what? Has anyone else shipped similar goods please??

TIA

Rach xxxx

Hi
When we arrived I had a cane chair, we bought it with us as it was a pressie some years back and I didn't want to loose it. It was clearly down as cane chair on the inventory but quarantine didn't bother with it, they looked at the usual christmas decs and tumble drier!
Jenny
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Thanks for that funky! God it sounds ridiculous doesnt it but I suppose there are reasons for it? !!

I'm a shopaholic though so a trip to IKEA when I get there wont kill me!

Trouble is if I sell the table and chairs now I've got sod all to put my PC on! :scared: The desk has already been sold. God this house is looking emptier by the minute! Bring on 22nd March when the entire lots goes!

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Went to Ikea the other day. I couldnt beleive it. There was hardly anyone in there, and when I got to the check out (expecting massive cues) there was only one lady sittin at the checkout and I walked straight up and payed for my goods. I couldnt beleive it. Not like Lakeside Thurrock!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.