Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping, what you can & can't take

Shipping, what you can & can't take

Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Shipping, what you can & can't take

Hi there,

Just thinking about shipping our belongings, after reading some of the threads i'm a bit confused. I'm not sure what white goods and electricals you can take. I didn't think you could take fridge/freezers. What about tv's, stereos etc. Any help appreciated thanks
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping, what you can & can't take

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Hi there,

Just thinking about shipping our belongings, after reading some of the threads i'm a bit confused. I'm not sure what white goods and electricals you can take. I didn't think you could take fridge/freezers. What about tv's, stereos etc. Any help appreciated thanks
All fine!

General consensus is if it's of decent quality and condition! ... bring it!

Same voltage over here so all good! ...

Altho UK fridges are generally smaller! ... ask Aston Man for a pic of his! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I'm taking waching machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, stereos but not tv's or fridge/freezer. DAB radios wont work in oz so dont bother with those.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by homewardbound
DAB radios wont work in oz so dont bother with those.
Oh but they will in 2009 I think ...

I bought my beloved DAB and now it's just an FM radio! ... ... altho I think there is parts of Oz that broadcast in digital, don't ask me where tho! ... certainly not here! ... :curse:
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

I bought my beloved DAB and now it's just an FM radio! ... ... altho I think there is parts of Oz that broadcast in digital, don't ask me where tho! ... certainly not here! ... :curse:
Hey! ... my avatar fits at last! ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Hi there,

As has been said above - if its in decent condition and relatively new bring it - just make sure the manufacturer is represented in OZ - so that if it breaks down spare parts can be sourced. Fridges and Freezers can be an issue and in reality need to be 'CFC friendly' to be allowed into the country. Any fridge / freezer bought in the last couple of years will be - anything older you will need to check with the supplier.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Not DAB...but digital TV in Sydney is VHF, in UK it is UHF...so UK set top boxes and TV's with built in digital don't work.

We brought our UK fridge and actually it is working better than the Oz one we bought. Despite everything we were told about how they don't like the higher ambient temp. etc...
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

Just to let you know we brought everything with us, the only things we didn't were the telly's.

We checked first to see if they were represented here.

Some of the Electrical items we shipped

Fridge Freezer (American Double) Samsung
Washer (LG)
Dryer
Neff Oven and a combi microwave and 6 Burner Gas Hob (only 4 months old and not leaving for the robbers that bought our house)
Dishwasher
Oh's work tools
Patio Heater
Garden Ornament (Grandads)
Bikes

The list could go on. All in all we worked out the cost of item's going into the container, researched the second hand sale price. We looked at the cost of buying new here and felt even with the shipping cost it would have cost us more to replace.

I think it's each to their own but for us it was definately worth it.

Jane