Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SHIPPING!!! What to do!

SHIPPING!!! What to do!

Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

pinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the rough
Default SHIPPING!!! What to do!

Please bear with me on this - try to make it as short as possible!

Shipping from Midlands, England to Melbourne. Want to take personal things but not sure whether to take furniture. Been told you can purchase full, half or part container. If just taking personal stuff and it costs X amount but to take furniture it bumps it up by say £200 to me it would make sense to take it.

Do you buy container on space you require or do you have to puchase a set size obviously then we would want to fill this space.

Hope this makes sense. Does anybody know of a good shipping company?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHIPPING!!! What to do!

Hi. Well we are in leicester as well and moving to Sydney in 3 weeks. We are not taking our furnishings, as they are not worth it - a lot of it i wouldnt even give away.
So are taking about 60 cubic feet in packing boxes for personal stuff. We have arranged it with Anglo Pacific as they were the cheapest and are charging about £700 including supply of boxes, and door to door deliverY
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

pinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the roughpinkjane8 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that. Thats actually not a bads price at all. God 3 weeks!! How are you feeling about it all?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pinkjane8
Please bear with me on this - try to make it as short as possible!

Shipping from Midlands, England to Melbourne. Want to take personal things but not sure whether to take furniture. Been told you can purchase full, half or part container. If just taking personal stuff and it costs X amount but to take furniture it bumps it up by say £200 to me it would make sense to take it.

Do you buy container on space you require or do you have to puchase a set size obviously then we would want to fill this space.

Hope this makes sense. Does anybody know of a good shipping company?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
We only took personal belongings with us (as well as a suitcase each) through a company called 'seven seas worldwide' we had a 'tea chest' each and it cost us around 400 quid all in. They were excellent and kept us fully up to date with where our belongings were and they arrived on time! Took just over two weeks by air. Check their website for details.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkjane8
Thanks for that. Thats actually not a bads price at all. God 3 weeks!! How are you feeling about it all?
Excited, nervous, terrified and very aware that i have SOOO much to do.
But cant wait to get on that plane.
Have you booked your tickets yet? That was a very strange feeling booking one way tickets
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We used John Mason's who were fine. We brought everything except toys the kids had grown out of because even at IKEA or Fantasticfurniture prices it would cost a fair bit to kit out a home.

The insurance is a pig to do though as you have to itemise everything.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for your replies - to be honest its not as expensive as I thought it would be!!!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

prissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask, what do you do when you dont have an address in Oz where your stuff is going to. Am meaning when you are new and do not know anyone in the area where you are going. Can you tell the shipping company to hold on to your stuff until you get a rental?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Prissy, we had friends emigrate 2 years ago and their stuff went into storage until they had a permanent address.

I take it you are in a similar position to us as we are going into holiday accommodation for a month and then look for rented when we are there, so we haven't got a permanent address either.

Jane

Originally Posted by prissy
Can I ask, what do you do when you dont have an address in Oz where your stuff is going to. Am meaning when you are new and do not know anyone in the area where you are going. Can you tell the shipping company to hold on to your stuff until you get a rental?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

prissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks PinkJane8. Yep pretty much in the same situation. The migrating thing can get confusing. Where would I be without BE?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

I know everyones been great. What stage are you at with visas etc.

Originally Posted by prissy
Thanks PinkJane8. Yep pretty much in the same situation. The migrating thing can get confusing. Where would I be without BE?