British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping Volume Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-volume-question-483051/)

Villaman Sep 23rd 2007 7:32 pm

Shipping Volume Question

Hi there. This site has been a great help so far. After reading lot's of posts I managed to get my Spouse Visa in 5 weeks from start to finish (would have been quicker if the Police Check had arrived sooner!)

Anyway we're off to Sydney in a month and we're looking into shipping quotes. We will be renting our flat out fully furnished so won't be taking any furniture or china or glasses etc. We will be taking our all personal possessions though i.e CD's (hundreds!) stereo system, cloths, kitchen equipment, photos etc.

I've got quotes from Excess Baggage, London Baggage and Severn Seas for the boxes by ship. I just guessed the number of boxes we would need and it came to 75 cubic feet. Quotes were around the £500. Now it comes down to ordering them I thought I'd do a quick check and I think I've underestimated!

So here is the question. Does anyone know how many cubic feet you can get in a shared container? I'm trying to work out at what point we give up on the self packed boxes and go for a shared container. Also any previous experience on the amount of cubic feet a couple need when they are taking everything apart from furniture would be helpful.

Thanks

Max

DrWho Sep 23rd 2007 10:08 pm

Re: Shipping Volume Question

A typical 20' box has an internal volume of 1173 cubic feet... How much of that you'll need only you will know...! 75 cubic feet does sound a bit small though... :)

aston man Sep 24th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Villaman (Post 5345796)
Hi there. This site has been a great help so far. After reading lot's of posts I managed to get my Spouse Visa in 5 weeks from start to finish (would have been quicker if the Police Check had arrived sooner!)

Anyway we're off to Sydney in a month and we're looking into shipping quotes. We will be renting our flat out fully furnished so won't be taking any furniture or china or glasses etc. We will be taking our all personal possessions though i.e CD's (hundreds!) stereo system, cloths, kitchen equipment, photos etc.

I've got quotes from Excess Baggage, London Baggage and Severn Seas for the boxes by ship. I just guessed the number of boxes we would need and it came to 75 cubic feet. Quotes were around the £500. Now it comes down to ordering them I thought I'd do a quick check and I think I've underestimated!

So here is the question. Does anyone know how many cubic feet you can get in a shared container? I'm trying to work out at what point we give up on the self packed boxes and go for a shared container. Also any previous experience on the amount of cubic feet a couple need when they are taking everything apart from furniture would be helpful.

Thanks

Max

max,ring atlantis shippers01214511588,ask for stuart..tell him marcus sent you.

cheap as chips,fantastic service..no problems what so ever.

up the villa mate....

ast

nick72 Sep 24th 2007 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Villaman (Post 5345796)

Thanks

Max

http://www.ai-uk.co.uk

They have a cubic feet calculator and shipped us out here superb !!

charb Sep 24th 2007 6:27 am

We just shipped personal bits & pieces with Pickfords, 99cuft was just under £700 inc insurance. It was roughly 10 - 12 boxes - half were bigger than the traditional tea chest size, other half were half the size again... Does that even make sense??!!

karenjc Sep 24th 2007 8:37 am

You may save a little bit of space as no vile shirts are allowed into Oz as they are trying to keep the rif raff out :D. Keep right on. Quill

karenjc Sep 24th 2007 8:38 am

As some other viler has said contact atlantis. We found them to be really good. Good luck. Quill

Villaman Sep 24th 2007 2:32 pm

Cheers for the advice everyone. Decided to go for the box option rather than a shared container as pretty sure we wouldn't get anywhere near filling it (even with all photos of Villa winning several League Championships, FA Cups, European Cup etc!) Glad there will still be a bit of Midlands banter over there!

I live in London now so have got quotes from companies nearby.

karenjc Sep 25th 2007 7:52 am

Gosh they must be really old photos :D