Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping. Vacuum bags a good idea???

Shipping. Vacuum bags a good idea???

Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:57 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Question Shipping. Vacuum bags a good idea???

Hi all,

Sorry if this yet another tiresome, brain dead question............. but do people use those vacuum bags for bedding towels etc to minimize on the space taken when shipping stuff

My life is so mundane that this all I have to worry about this week!!!
Well, that and the visa we still don't have

We had a mixed response from the shipping companies who sited allsorts of reasons against (none mentioned us keeping the cost down!) and one just couldn't answer the question as he didn't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Philomena x
Old Nov 1st 2004, 12:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping. Vacuum bags a good idea???

Didn't use them myself, but Larissa did and Swifts did, and I've heard no adverse reviews yet.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223802

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230279
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by philian4
Hi all,

Sorry if this yet another tiresome, brain dead question............. but do people use those vacuum bags for bedding towels etc to minimize on the space taken when shipping stuff

My life is so mundane that this all I have to worry about this week!!!
Well, that and the visa we still don't have

We had a mixed response from the shipping companies who sited allsorts of reasons against (none mentioned us keeping the cost down!) and one just couldn't answer the question as he didn't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Philomena x
Hi Philomena

We are now packing our boxes to be shipped to Oz, & we to are going to use the bags to save space.
So have the shipping companies told you not to use them, do you have to check with the shipping company if you can use them or not (i haven't)???

Thanks
Paula
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hiya,

I used them. A couple 'popped' within minutes of 'shrinking'. Still used them though. Only problem I found was that my cushions were really creased, and even after washing, couldnt get the creases out. But for towells, sheets etc, they were fine.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hiya,

I used them. A couple 'popped' within minutes of 'shrinking'. Still used them though. Only problem I found was that my cushions were really creased, and even after washing, couldnt get the creases out. But for towells, sheets etc, they were fine.
Can you tell me which size you used? And where you got them. I see Lakeland Limited has them- but only Jumbo and XL. Are those not too big to fit in the shipping boxes?

Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2004, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nmccallum
Can you tell me which size you used? And where you got them. I see Lakeland Limited has them- but only Jumbo and XL. Are those not too big to fit in the shipping boxes?

Thanks

Not sure of actual measurements......suppose about 4 foor by 2 foot?????and that is a guess. Got them from argos. but apparently black bags also do the trick. try one out.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:13 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by paula 1
Hi Philomena

We are now packing our boxes to be shipped to Oz, & we to are going to use the bags to save space.
So have the shipping companies told you not to use them, do you have to check with the shipping company if you can use them or not (i haven't)???

Thanks
Paula
hi Paula,

No one said don'y use them they just didn't rave on about them, and one suggested they could pose a problem if they weren't good quality ones.

Friends have advised us to bring Manchester goods with us as the quality/value is better but they are so bulky!

I don't think you have to check with the companies...........I'm just fretting over the visa and trying to divert my stress in other directions so I can do something practical instead of leaving it all to the last minute!

Cheers,

Phil x
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by philian4
hi Paula,

No one said don'y use them they just didn't rave on about them, and one suggested they could pose a problem if they weren't good quality ones.

Friends have advised us to bring Manchester goods with us as the quality/value is better but they are so bulky!

I don't think you have to check with the companies...........I'm just fretting over the visa and trying to divert my stress in other directions so I can do something practical instead of leaving it all to the last minute!

Cheers,

Phil x
Hi Phil
Thanks for the reply, what do you means when you say friends have told you to take Manchester goods with you???? Sorry having a stupid moment , & believe me i have plenty of them (no comment Moneypenny if you read this thread )
What stage of the visa are you up to?? & what part of Oz do you hope to settle in??
Hope to hear from you soon
Paula
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't spend long enough on here, do you Paula. Manchester is the aussie name for linen (bed variety) type stuff.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20

You don't spend long enough on here, do you Paula. Manchester is the aussie name for linen (bed variety) type stuff.

Hi Mate

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i knew i could count on you !! (I thought he mean't Manchester United stuff, how stupid am I, please do not comment)
How many times have you been on this site today(i've count at least 10) but i won't tell Kevin.
Bye
Paula xx
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mate

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i knew i could count on you !! (I thought he mean't Manchester United stuff, how stupid am I, please do not comment)
How many times have you been on this site today(i've count at least 10) but i won't tell Kevin.
Bye
Paula xx

No me, someone stealing my identity - good luck to them.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:04 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Hi Mate

Bye
Paula xx
Hi Paula,
Firstly I'm a 'she'. Confusing I know but Phil is short for Philomena!

We are heading for Wollongong, 1 hr south of Sydney. Applied Mid June 136 on MODL-nurse. Just submitted meds and police checks............slowly losing my mind. Sold the house almost 2 weeks ago and really want to get moving but just that elusive visa. 4 young children and it's hard to prepare them until there's something solid.
Sorry about the Manchester reference......I had been talking to my friend earlier and was just regurging my conversation with her!

How about you, where are you up to and where are you heading?

Phil x
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

can anyone tell me where i can get these bags - what kind of store would have them (i'm in holland so names of stores probs wouldt do me any good)?

thanks, tanja
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:15 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by sunny side up
can anyone tell me where i can get these bags - what kind of store would have them (i'm in holland so names of stores probs wouldt do me any good)?

thanks, tanja
Hi,

Over here it's places that sell household goods. Argos is a catalogue store where you can buy anything and everything, Lakeland is kitchenware and storage also a few catalogue companies do them...........Holland I really wouldn't have a clue!!! Have you tried Ebay? That's bound to be full of them!!!

Phil x
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:35 am
rudo1ph

Hi Mate

Bye
Paula xx
You are not the only one For my first two months living here I thought that each time a "20% off Manchester Sale" was advertised on the TV here, people would be rushing out to get their Manunited kit!

Rudi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.