Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping v buying new

Shipping v buying new

Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:39 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping v buying new

Hi

Just been trying to work out what is more cost-effective, shipping your bits to Australia or buying new over there.

Plus if you do ship your stuff over there what about electrical items, i.e. hoovers, dishwashers, washing machines etc? Will they work? I know the answer to the TV problem has been sorted out on another thread but I was interested in other electrical stuff.

Not sure what the best solution is. On top of that you have to add into the equation the 'personal stuff that you don't want to leave behind or sell' like Great Aunt Maud's chest of drawers (or whatever!!) although seems like most people are shipping their stuff.

What are you doing?

D D
Old Jun 5th 2004, 8:50 pm
Blue army down under!

nickram is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been pondering over the same question as I don't intend taking over any large furniture just electrical items.
Doesn't help any but at least your not on your own
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping v buying new

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Hi

Just been trying to work out what is more cost-effective, shipping your bits to Australia or buying new over there.

Plus if you do ship your stuff over there what about electrical items, i.e. hoovers, dishwashers, washing machines etc? Will they work? I know the answer to the TV problem has been sorted out on another thread but I was interested in other electrical stuff.

Not sure what the best solution is. On top of that you have to add into the equation the 'personal stuff that you don't want to leave behind or sell' like Great Aunt Maud's chest of drawers (or whatever!!) although seems like most people are shipping their stuff.

What are you doing?

D D
Hi, we're taking all our stuff in 40ft. container - definitely cheaper than buying new - as for electric items, just change the plug as most stuff is roughly same voltage just odd shape plug

All depends on how much dosh yoou got as stuff in Oz roughly same price as over here but off course your wages are less - therefore costs more in the end.

hope this helps
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:18 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Stuff in Oz/NZ maybe the same/similar price to here, but

you have to sell/give away your stuff here..
Then replace it there...

Always a personal choice
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We brought most of our good stuff with us and filled a 20ft container completely up. I am so glad we did. If you sit down and work out the cost of everything for insurance purposes you will be astounded by how much your stuff is worth.

Write a list with the cost of everything you own on it and add it up. Then multiply it buy 2.5 and that is at least what you will have to pay to replace it all. Also consider the irreplaceable cost of personal items.

Also factor in the amount of time it is going to take you to go out and buy the stuff, you wont know the cheapest places so may well pay over the odds anyway. Also will you know exactly what style of furniture you want when you just arrive?

By all means only bring your good stuff, we replaced most of our beds etc out here as they were shabby anyway. But the costs mount up and the 3200 pounds we paid PSS would not have gone near buying all of our stuff new. $8000 will not fill a whole house with furniture!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I meant to say we brought ALL of our electrical goods, power tools, hair driers, bread maker, food processor, coffee maker, DVDs, TV's, computer, printers, lamps etc They all work fine we have just changed the plugs on the end.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
I meant to say we brought ALL of our electrical goods, power tools, hair driers, bread maker, food processor, coffee maker, DVDs, TV's, computer, printers, lamps etc They all work fine we have just changed the plugs on the end.
Ahem...Tina meant to say she hired an electrician to change all the plugs...ahem......didn't you Tina ?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:47 pm
mickj

Tina,

Sounds like you brought everything but the kitchen sink It's true what you said though, just bring all the important appliances you are going to need temporarily and sentimental stuff, the rest you can buy over there.

Sell other stuffs before you leave the UK, to friends and others, that might need it.

Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:53 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by mickj
Tina,

Sounds like you brought everything but the kitchen sink It's true what you said though, just bring all the important appliances you are going to need temporarily and sentimental stuff, the rest you can buy over there.

Sell other stuffs before you leave the UK, to friends and others, that might need it.
Hiya Mickie,
I moved out from my parent 3 years ago and I might hav finally finished buying stuff for the house!
I had a quick reconing when doingures the insurance for the house contentarents and £35K for everything looked about right. (inclufing fixtures and fittings) so say £ 25K for asll the stuff.

I think we will be filling a container when we eventually go.

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 5th 2004, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Bix
Ahem...Tina meant to say she hired an electrician to change all the plugs...ahem......didn't you Tina ?

Of course... would I ever break one of these fantastic Aussie laws!!

We didn't bring the kitchen sink, but did even bring the kids ELC outside playground equipment thing. Good job as I have not seen anything simialr out here yet.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DollyDaydream
Hi

What are you doing?

Hi

Like Tinaj says - it would cost a whole lot more than the shipping price to replace a whole house of furniture.

There is another side to this apart from just the replacement cost of furniture items though. I found the move here to be a huge upheaval for the whole family. We spent 3 months in a rented house with hardly anything familiar around us (apart from what we managed to bring in our suitcases and our cats of course!).

When our container was delivered it was wonderful. I don't think you really appreciate having your familiar stuff around you until it's not there. Everyone is different of course but I feel really settled now I have all my bits & pieces around me. It feels like home.

Dawn
Old Jun 6th 2004, 3:39 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I would say bring the lot with you we did to nz and are so glad we did in fact I wish Id brought more as the variety over here is not so good and also who in their right minds wants to shop for stuff for the house when they have just started a brand new life abroad ... it is bad enough settling the kids, getting work, finding a house, buying cars etc without having to buy house stuff. We left our old appliances so had to buy new here and that was bad enough.
When our container arrived it was wonderful all our bits and stuff, the kids toys, I was even blubbering over our bed covers/linen etc cos it still smelt of home
Old Jun 6th 2004, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Prestons
When our container was delivered it was wonderful. I don't think you really appreciate having your familiar stuff around you until it's not there. Everyone is different of course but I feel really settled now I have all my bits & pieces around me. It feels like home.

Dawn
We are taking most of our stuff, which is costing about £5,800,
but as the value of the stuff is about £30,000 (still in the process of doing the list for the insurers) it seems like a good deal.

I agree with the above sentiment, which is another reason why
we're taking most of our stuff. Also as we won't have seen in all for about 3 months, it will seem like getting a load of new stuff anyway!!!

Anyway all the best with your decision.

Karen
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:27 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I probably have a slightly different outlook than most others on here.

I'm only taking personal stuff, ornaments I value, bedding, kitchen stuff etc. No furniture or appliances (apart from my hifi and DVD player) as my daughters are getting everything from my house, to help them set up their own homes.

I'm actually looking forward to a complete new start in Adelaide and will be setting aside $30k or so to start me off furnishing my new house when I get it. Yes it will be time consuming, but I'm not sentimental about my furniture here and none of it is really valuable. The things I'm sentimental about are going with me.

But that's just my view in my situation - on a cost basis it's more sensible to take everything with you and replace over time as and when needed.

Elaine M
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:06 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

... we replaced most of our beds etc out here...
Presumably you somehow disposed of the old mattresses before leaving? Is there an easy+cheap+legal way to do that? Hiring an entire large-enough skip seems annoyingly expensive just for a couple of old mattresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.