Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping troubles!

Shipping troubles!

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:23 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping troubles!

Well it has been a couple of weeks now and I am finally sitting in my own house and typing on my own computer but I am sitting on the floor! Yes our shipping has still not arrived. Well it has been sitting in dock or in quarantine or somewhere since 10th July! We are living a very minimalist lifestyle with only what we needed to buy! So we have very little as we have everything we need in the container!
How long did everyone elses shipping take to get out of dock and to their new house!
Apart from that everything is still good. Realised I will need to work soon so have put my name out there. My husband has already done a few temporary contracts so things are looking ok jobwise.
I am really enjoying being back in Australia. Have caught up with old friends and already made new friends! Forgot also that going to the shops is never just a quick trip as you always tend to get chatting with whoever serves you!
Anyway good luck to all those still waiting on visas. You too will be able to sit in a furnitureless house in Australia waiting for yor shipping soon I am sure!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

I know only of two cases and that took in total about 3 months (of which only the first 6 weeks were the actual shipping!). So, you can look at waiting till August or September.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:50 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my god!!!!!!! So spartan lving for a few weeks then! Well talk about a life laundry!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by fimart
Oh my god!!!!!!! So spartan lving for a few weeks then! Well talk about a life laundry!
Well, I've also heard stories that it took only a week or two. It all depends when customs has time to inspect the container. All in all, you never have a clue when it finally goes through customs.
But I think that most have to wait at least a month.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Our furniture is collected on 9th August. Any ideas as to when our furniture will arrive????????
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping troubles!

I don't know how much you have already chased the goods, but do know the name of the shipping company this end? If so, have you chased them, they should be able to tell you where the goods are - Customs is first, then AQIS. Pester them - I did!!!!

Customs is usually the slow bit, my stuff arrived Dec 27th, but was in Customs till mid Feb! then it went through AQIS in 2 days. You are dependent on the amount of ships arriving together, and stuff like that - mine was over Christmas for example.

Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Our furniture is collected on 9th August. Any ideas as to when our furniture will arrive????????
Our goods are shipped around the 10th of September. Add at most a week to load it onto the first ship going to Oz, siz weeks of sailing time and perhaps a month and a half at customs. We are hoping that everything arrives at our place in Oz before Christmas! Luckily, my wife has some items already in Oz and we can always borrow some items off family and friends during that time.

Hope that you can rely on family or friends as well.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:05 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by ssinnige
Add at most a week to load it onto the first ship going to Oz, siz weeks of sailing time and perhaps a month and a half at customs.

My stuff took two weeks and I'm still waiting for confirmation its gone. Apparently it arrived the day the last ship went out, just unfortunate really. I'm lucky and in the position of going into a fully furnished house, where I already have some stuff so its not stressing me out. Yet!
Old Jul 24th 2004, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Alpha Scallywag is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Customs

Can take up to 4 weeks as the customs only check Tues And Thurs at the bond w/house. They will only check a few at a time and also on how much stuff you have. Your shipper can only tell you if customs have had a look, then they will give you a date. If its OPS keep ringing