Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping times, particularly for half a container

Shipping times, particularly for half a container

Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Shipping times, particularly for half a container

Hi

Hope someone may be able to give some advice. I am looking to ship a flats worth of gear to arrive in OZ around the end of September. I am guessing that I will probably only need half a container.

Can anyone advise the approximate times for shipping. I have tried to read as many threads as I can and it seems to be in the region of 12 weeks, with some saying 9-10.

I was planning to ship at the end of June, but want to make sure that my stuff doesn't arrive too early and then get hit by storage penalties.

Any advice would be great
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping times, particularly for half a container

Hi

When sharing a container there will be a slight delay as they have to find someone else to have the other half so you could wait a week or it could be 5 weeks.

A friend had her half of the container leave her house at the start of December and as yet only has an estimated arrival in Australia as mid April.

We had a full container and this only took 35 days from Sheffield to Adelaide.

My cousin shared his container from Brisbane back to the UK and this took nearly 5 months.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

We had just over 1/2 a 20ft container for a shared shipment. Our stuff got packed and taken away 05/12 and is due to arrive in Sydney 06/04 (it didn't even leave the UK till 19/02), then there's 2-3 weeks waiting for it to clear and be delivered so prob mid to late April when we see it again. We were told it would be 12-14 weeks, thankfully though we haven't got a house to put it into yet so it's done us a favour taking longer than expected.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 1/2 container and it took 12 weeks.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Hi

Hope someone may be able to give some advice. I am looking to ship a flats worth of gear to arrive in OZ around the end of September. I am guessing that I will probably only need half a container.

Can anyone advise the approximate times for shipping. I have tried to read as many threads as I can and it seems to be in the region of 12 weeks, with some saying 9-10.

I was planning to ship at the end of June, but want to make sure that my stuff doesn't arrive too early and then get hit by storage penalties.

Any advice would be great
1/2 a container left our house on Dec 20th
Arrived in Sydney Feb 8th and we got it about Feb 20th.

I guess all will be different but at least this gives you an idea
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Cheers for the advice guys. I think I will go ahead and ship at the end of June then.

Does anyone know what kind of penalties are charged if they need to store your gear (i.e if you have not arrived yet?

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:11 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - shipping a full container load can take approx 12weeks, but as you are only doing a half, it'll probably take approx 6weeks.

cheers
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

We had a number of companies round to do quotes and there were a few different options w.r.t. storage:

- some would throw in up to 6 weeks free storage into the costs
- some did free storage in UK but not in Oz
- those who didn't take it all the way (i.e. sent out by one company delivered by another) gave us quotes for storage at Oz end

I think with the ones we chose it was something like $200 admin fee + $25 a week. You may also have to factor in additional insurance depending on the policy you get too.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

maggi01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GracieK
We had a number of companies round to do quotes and there were a few different options w.r.t. storage:

- some would throw in up to 6 weeks free storage into the costs
- some did free storage in UK but not in Oz
- those who didn't take it all the way (i.e. sent out by one company delivered by another) gave us quotes for storage at Oz end

I think with the ones we chose it was something like $200 admin fee + $25 a week. You may also have to factor in additional insurance depending on the policy you get too.
Hi, we just got news today of our shipping time. 61 items in a shared container. We were told it could take up to 12 weeks but could take longer as we were sharing. Our stuff was packed 19/12/08, we called after 7 weeks to be told things out of uk were slow... today we received a letter from handling agents here, as follows;
departure date UK 30/3/09
arrival date Oz 30/04/09
Then the quarantine and checking process + 2 weeks
Total time 5 months, with most of it still in UK...
And they don't tell you it will cost you a quarantine exam fee plus tax..
Hope this helps you decide what to do
Maggi
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GracieK
We had just over 1/2 a 20ft container for a shared shipment. Our stuff got packed and taken away 05/12 and is due to arrive in Sydney 06/04 (it didn't even leave the UK till 19/02), then there's 2-3 weeks waiting for it to clear and be delivered so prob mid to late April when we see it again. We were told it would be 12-14 weeks, thankfully though we haven't got a house to put it into yet so it's done us a favour taking longer than expected.
Hey just reading the treads, i was just wondering what kind of prices you got quoted for shipment ? is it expensive who did you use?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sarahhartopp
Hey just reading the treads, i was just wondering what kind of prices you got quoted for shipment ? is it expensive who did you use?
I am just in the process of obtaining quotes for a shared container (London to Perth). To give you an idea I am taking over 10 Boxes plus 1 bike, dryer, double bed, coffee table, side table, computer table, swivel chair, rug, PC & Monitor. This equates to 220cubic feet approx.

My quotes thus far are:

Anglo Pacific £1130
Doree Bonner £1250
Pickfords £1268

Awaiting quotes from PSS & John Mason. None of the above include Insurance, storage or customs\quarantine fees.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey

Thanks for all the really great advice. This whole movng thing is a minefield!!

Those prices are really good Kyptonix and you sound like you are taking a similar amount to me. I would be interested to know how much as a total with taxes etc.

Does anyone know or have experience if sharing a container causes more of a problem at the other end potentially with customs?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Hey

Thanks for all the really great advice. This whole movng thing is a minefield!!

Those prices are really good Kryptonix and you sound like you are taking a similar amount to me. I would be interested to know how much as a total with taxes etc.

Does anyone know or have experience if sharing a container causes more of a problem at the other end potentially with customs?
I'll try and work out what the insurance etc is on those who've quoted later. That said I guess it depends on your value of your items.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

On the insurance we've just had shippers round and they all wanted between 2.75 and 3 % of goods value for full cover insurance. But we phoned another company Letton Percival - they've been mentioned on here before and they are only charging 1.6%.

As far as I can tell the cover is the same except they have a £100 excess, might be worth checking them out.

Lindsay x
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
On the insurance we've just had shippers round and they all wanted between 2.75 and 3 % of goods value for full cover insurance. But we phoned another company Letton Percival - they've been mentioned on here before and they are only charging 1.6%.

As far as I can tell the cover is the same except they have a £100 excess, might be worth checking them out.

Lindsay x
Thanks for the tip re Letton Percival. I work for an Insurance Broker who deal with Marine Insurance so I'll probably find out if they can do it any cheaper too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.