Shipping Times

Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

mrs_sparky12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Times

Hi All

Some really useful posts on the forum re quotes for shipping costs. I was wondering about shipping times? We need to get our stuff shipped over in as short a time as possible when we depart the UK. First quote we've had (from Allied) is for 47days (Scotland to Brissie) shipping (via middle east) then another 7-10 at Customs in Oz.

Has anyone got recent experience of shipping times from other providers - I understand they can vary depending on the routes shippers' use?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 8th 2005, 2:00 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Times

The traditional route is on vessels headed to the Far East markets through the Suez. In Singapore they tranship onto other vessels which feed down to Australasia.

Singapore has been a nightmare for best part of 12 months now. Totally congested.

This has meant most of the shipping lines only decide on a weekly basis whether they will carry any cargo on this route for AU/NZ.

It means a lot is now shipped on the longer and more expensive route going the other way round the world but direct into AU/NZ.

Lines do stop at a different amount of ports before heading out and this affects the transit times. The only way you could check this is if they will tell you what shipping line they are using but even then there is that weeklt risk of change to the schedules.

Irrespective of all this the overall time from pick up to delivery will be dictated mainly by AQIS and possibly customs at destination. No one can force them to be quick.

If it goes without a hitch I would estimate 8 weeks transit time from pick up to destination port.

From pick up to delivery my container took 16 weeks
10 weeks to Aus / 6 weeks sitting in Brisbane. AQIS found no problem with ours - it was just the time they took to get around to checking it inspite of the shipping lines efforts to get it cleared.

Ask Allied to sign a guarantee on say 60 days.
I think you will find they will backpedal.