Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping things over whilst travelling?

Shipping things over whilst travelling?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

beachlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping things over whilst travelling?

Hello,

My husband and I are leaving the UK on 23rd September. We're travelling around SE Asia for 3 and a half months before landing in Oz on 4th Jan 2010.

My query is that we're only taking our backpacks travelling, but will want to ship out a suitcase with extra clothes for when we're a little more settled in Oz-maybe have it arrive in the 1st week we're there.

The suitcase will be left at my parents house, so what would be the best way to do this? I don't want to leave my Mum with all the hassle of sorting it out and wondered if there is any way we could arrange it before we go? There will only be clothes and perhaps some electrical items in the suitcase-I wouldn't have thought it would be more than 25kg.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as time is starting to run out!

Many thanks
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping things over whilst travelling?

Originally Posted by beachlou
Hello,

My husband and I are leaving the UK on 23rd September. We're travelling around SE Asia for 3 and a half months before landing in Oz on 4th Jan 2010.

My query is that we're only taking our backpacks travelling, but will want to ship out a suitcase with extra clothes for when we're a little more settled in Oz-maybe have it arrive in the 1st week we're there.

The suitcase will be left at my parents house, so what would be the best way to do this? I don't want to leave my Mum with all the hassle of sorting it out and wondered if there is any way we could arrange it before we go? There will only be clothes and perhaps some electrical items in the suitcase-I wouldn't have thought it would be more than 25kg.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as time is starting to run out!

Many thanks
When I did that I just sent it with PSS. They just added it to someone elses container. If you send it when you leave and travel for 3 months it'll be waiting for you in port when you get there.

When we came back from Oz last time we also boxed up a few things and used the post office to post it back. It wasn't too expensive and took 12 weeks. So.. depending on how much you're taking i'd suggest post office for small packages and PSS for a carton or two.
Hope that helps?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
When I did that I just sent it with PSS. They just added it to someone elses container. If you send it when you leave and travel for 3 months it'll be waiting for you in port when you get there.

When we came back from Oz last time we also boxed up a few things and used the post office to post it back. It wasn't too expensive and took 12 weeks. So.. depending on how much you're taking i'd suggest post office for small packages and PSS for a carton or two.
Hope that helps?
Thanks for that advice. I'll look into PSS. We will be travelling for 14 weeks in total, so what would happen if we weren't at the port for 2 weeks? Would they keep it there for free or would we pay extra? Also, how do we go about getting it to the people who will transport?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to be really organised.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

We've just sent our stuff out and moved into my mum's to recoup our loses. ( We won't be arruving in Adealide until around the 1st Jan) It was cheaper to store it in port (about £15 a week) but that's the contents of a 3 bed house! I don't think they'd charge you much to hold on to a couple of suitcases for a week or two.

Give them a call and they'll fill you in
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
We've just sent our stuff out and moved into my mum's to recoup our loses. ( We won't be arruving in Adealide until around the 1st Jan) It was cheaper to store it in port (about £15 a week) but that's the contents of a 3 bed house! I don't think they'd charge you much to hold on to a couple of suitcases for a week or two.

Give them a call and they'll fill you in
Thanks for your replies. I've looked into PSS and it looks like it'll only cost £136 to have 2 suitcases shipped over, which I though was pretty good. It'll cost an extra £20 for collection, which is fine with us.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:13 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Hi Beachlou, have no advice re shipping sorry (lucky to have mates where we're headed) but just to say have a great time in se asia. My husband and I are doing the same thing - we left UK in April and planning to arrive in Australia in January. In Thailand atm, been in Burma & Malaysia since April (plus Perth for a quick visa validation ), going to Laos soon, then Vietnam, Indonesia....you will have a blast!! It is great over here, not our first trip here but for sure the best so far. Great to have this time out as well, after all the visa trauma and before settling into the realities of house and jobhunting Down Under... Enjoy!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PamE
Hi Beachlou, have no advice re shipping sorry (lucky to have mates where we're headed) but just to say have a great time in se asia. My husband and I are doing the same thing - we left UK in April and planning to arrive in Australia in January. In Thailand atm, been in Burma & Malaysia since April (plus Perth for a quick visa validation ), going to Laos soon, then Vietnam, Indonesia....you will have a blast!! It is great over here, not our first trip here but for sure the best so far. Great to have this time out as well, after all the visa trauma and before settling into the realities of house and jobhunting Down Under... Enjoy!!
Wow, that's a mega trip-we're only travelling for 14 weeks. We haven't quite finalised our route, but will include Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and hopefully we'll be in Bali/Lombok over Xmas and New Years. Where are you going to be?

Also, got another quote from Simpsons, which were cheaper than PSS-has anyone experience them? Thanks.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:28 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by beachlou
Wow, that's a mega trip-we're only travelling for 14 weeks. We haven't quite finalised our route, but will include Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and hopefully we'll be in Bali/Lombok over Xmas and New Years. Where are you going to be?
We'll probably be around same area for xmas & new years - closest point to start of New Life, right?
If you want any recommends on (budget) accom or anything feel free to contact me. Enjoy the final weeks of excitement & anticipation before you leave...and have a brilliant time!