Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping tea chests

shipping tea chests

Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:38 pm
WBB

Default shipping tea chests

hi, the ongoing saga of what to take/not to take is still dragging on in my house and a new option we are considering is just to ship maybe a dozen tea chests containing sentimental stuff kids toys clothes kitchen stuff etc.on top of that we have 3 bikes we would like to take and then there is the double baggage allowance on the way out, has anybody had any quotes on this type of shipping or similar?

would be interested to see what type of prices are being banded about as we have probably decided against the full container as most of our stuff could be cheaply replaced and most of it is on it's last legs anyway.

cheers guys n gals

Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:55 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: shipping tea chests

Originally posted by welshboybilly
hi, the ongoing saga of what to take/not to take is still dragging on in my house and a new option we are considering is just to ship maybe a dozen tea chests containing sentimental stuff kids toys clothes kitchen stuff etc.on top of that we have 3 bikes we would like to take and then there is the double baggage allowance on the way out, has anybody had any quotes on this type of shipping or similar?

would be interested to see what type of prices are being banded about as we have probably decided against the full container as most of our stuff could be cheaply replaced and most of it is on it's last legs anyway.

cheers guys n gals
We sent one teachest to Mt Gambier yesterday, that cost £154 door to door.

We are sending the rest, which is an unknown number of boxes once we have an address to ship them to.

Quote at the moment is :

For 10 teachests, one rowingmachine, one TV in box and 2 pushbikes. £520 door to door to an address in Brissie. Its less £30 for each box less than 10, or plus £30 for each extra box we use.

Pete.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:05 pm
WBB

Originally posted by PeteY
We sent one teachest to Mt Gambier yesterday, that cost £154 door to door.

We are sending the rest, which is an unknown number of boxes once we have an address to ship them to.

Quote at the moment is :

For 10 teachests, one rowingmachine, one TV in box and 2 pushbikes. £520 door to door to an address in Brissie. Its less £30 for each box less than 10, or plus £30 for each extra box we use.

Pete.

cheers for that pete, sounds like a good price and worth considering.

did you get a few quotes, were they all about the same?

cheers

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

cheers for that pete, sounds like a good price and worth considering.

did you get a few quotes, were they all about the same?

cheers
I only got one quote

My uncle owns a shipping company, so we went with him. He promises he only gave a small discount (i did'nt want to leave him out of pocket).

Sorry i should really have put that in my original post.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi W.B.B,
we are using a company up her ethat are nationwide we are taking maybe 1/4 of a container cost about 1700 with Insurance.
Our stuff was collected 2 weeks ago,given6-8 weeks arrival,
I'll send you a PM if you like.
Cheers chris
P.S shear the sheep before they go in the boxes
Old Sep 30th 2003, 12:34 am
WBB

cheers for that guys, will hopefully do the right thing.

p.s my sheep are inflatable so i just have to let the air out

Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers for that guys, will hopefully do the right thing.

p.s my sheep are inflatable so i just have to let the air out
Do some searches on Seven Seas. I used them and had a nightmare.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:11 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

cheers guys n gals
We had the same dilemma, in the end we decided to replace all our furniture etc. when we get there, and are only taking 30 T. cartons. Been quoted £778 Sussex to Brisbane, door to door.

Slater
Old Sep 30th 2003, 10:26 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm taking next to nothing.......virtually everything can be replaced in time, so I'm selling stuff to raise extra cash, i'll be pretty sad when I sell my BCFC season ticket to a mate of mine......

What will DEFO be going are items like photos; CDS; Videos & DVDS; Clothes and thats about it.

The difference for me is that Sera still has a place there which is fully furnished so I dont have to worry about stuff like furniture, kitchen & bedroom items.

I'll probably only need to use a couple of 5 ft cartons.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 10:58 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

WBB,

Anglo-Pacific quoted me as follows:

£139 for one 5.0 cu ft tea carton

£79 for each additional 5.0 cu ft tea carton (2-5)

£25 for each additional 5.0 cu ft tea carton (6 to 10)

That's door-to-door to the middle of nowhere, NSW.

Had a play on the John Mason website (cool interactive 'pick your items' section - fun, if nothing else) and came up with the tiny and therefore unlikely quote of £175 door to door for about 7 5ft tea chests. Haven't asked them for a proper quote yet.

Excess Baggage Co had prices much the same as Anglo-Pacific.

We're going to take photos, CDs, clothes, books (can't leave my 'library' behind!) and that's about it hence baggage shipping rather than a container. Plus the additional airline baggage allowance, if we get that far.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:14 am
Nov 27th 2003: Brisbane

BrisbaneBrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy

We're going to take photos, CDs, clothes, books (can't leave my 'library' behind!) and that's about it hence baggage shipping rather than a container. Plus the additional airline baggage allowance, if we get that far.

Bundy

Sounds similar to the items I'll be taking.....whats the difference in baggage shipping to tea chest or 5ft containers?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:22 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrisbaneBrummie
Bundy

Sounds similar to the items I'll be taking.....whats the difference in baggage shipping to tea chest or 5ft containers?
That's where I get confused and have to lie down for a bit. As far as I understand it, the difference lies in 'baggage' as opposed to 'shipping'. With baggage, they give you the packing items, you pack your own tea-chests, they come and collect them from you and you hope to see them again 8-12 weeks later.

With shipping, ie the container route, you can opt to 'buy' an entire shipping container (if you were moving your entire house, basically) or part of a container. The company would normally come along and pack for you, shove on a container and, again, you hope to see it 8-12 weeks later.

Because you do your own packing and don't need a whole separate container, the baggage option should be cheaper. But there inevitably comes a point where you may have so many chests (so to speak) that it's cheaper to use a container and be charged by cubic footage, rather than by container.

Of course, there's also excess baggage if you've really only got a box or two, but I haven't gone down that path yet.

Have a look on the Anglo-Pacific website for more guidance - www.anglopacific.co.uk . Don't know if they're any good, but it's somewhere to start...
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:33 am
A Male Member

That's where I get confused and have to lie down for a bit. As far as I understand it, the difference lies in 'baggage' as opposed to 'shipping'. With baggage, they give you the packing items, you pack your own tea-chests, they come and collect them from you and you hope to see them again 8-12 weeks later.

With shipping, ie the container route, you can opt to 'buy' an entire shipping container (if you were moving your entire house, basically) or part of a container. The company would normally come along and pack for you, shove on a container and, again, you hope to see it 8-12 weeks later.

Because you do your own packing and don't need a whole separate container, the baggage option should be cheaper. But there inevitably comes a point where you may have so many chests (so to speak) that it's cheaper to use a container and be charged by cubic footage, rather than by container.

Of course, there's also excess baggage if you've really only got a box or two, but I haven't gone down that path yet.

Have a look on the Anglo-Pacific website for more guidance - www.anglopacific.co.uk . Don't know if they're any good, but it's somewhere to start...
Somthing important to bear in mind if you are packing yourself (as we did), is the insurance is for loss only, and does NOT cover breakage.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:36 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by PeteY
Somthing important to bear in mind if you are packing yourself (as we did), is the insurance is for loss only, and does NOT cover breakage.

Hmmm, thanks PeteY. DIdn't know that, and it obviously makes a difference. Can you insure it in any other way, just in case?

I'm wary of shipping - my dad builds model buildings (don't ask) and once lost a rather striking model of the Alamo when the container it was travelling in fell off the ship it was on somewhere off the coast of South America.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:40 am
A Male Member

Hmmm, thanks PeteY. DIdn't know that, and it obviously makes a difference. Can you insure it in any other way, just in case?

I'm wary of shipping - my dad builds model buildings (don't ask) and once lost a rather striking model of the Alamo when the container it was travelling in fell off the ship it was on somewhere off the coast of South America.
There are probably all kind of insurance you can get.....yours may even cover breakage, but i am sure the insurance offered by my shipping company does'nt.

It costs 2% of the value you quote, and covers:

Water damage
Loss
Damage directly attributable to mishandling (so if it fell off the ship it would be covered)

Pete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.