Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping - suggestions and associated costs

Wikiposts

Shipping - suggestions and associated costs

Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping - suggestions and associated costs

[
Hi

we shipped 150 cb ft with Whites, very efficient and no hastle claiming for the one broken photo frame. Word of advice if you have paid for unpacking in Oz make them unpack anything you know has breakables in this way they have seen the damage 1st hand, i didn't bother asking them to unpack books and stuff just glasses etc/.

Tracy
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS. The cost was about 2500 quid with an extra 300 quid for itemised insurance, just in case the whole lot ended up in Freemantle Harbour [it does happen]. I think that was for a partial share of a container.

They arrived when they said they would, packaged up anything that wouldn't move and were away in 6 hours [that was a three bedroom house plus a shed packed to the rafters].

Our container was delivered to the house a couple of days after the ship arrived, and they unloaded it. We elected to unpack as a lot of boxes wouldn't be opened until we bought our own house. 6 months after this, we've only found three things broken, and I think two of those were wooden toys that had been repacked at the bottom of the container. I didn't even bother claiming on the insurance in the end.

So I would recommend PSS. The money is one aspect but you also want the MINIMUM of hassle. Its a stressful enough time as it is.

p.s. Watch out for the quarantine inspection fee - that isn't mentioned at the time in the UK.

p.p.s. Pay the extra and get them to deliver your stuff door-to-door. At least that way you can see if anything is damaged when they deliver it and the shipping company can't pass off the blame.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 1:51 am
Never regret the past...

Swotsmart has a brilliant futureSwotsmart has a brilliant futureSwotsmart has a brilliant futureSwotsmart has a brilliant futureSwotsmart has a brilliant futureSwotsmart has a brilliant future

I hope you all had an enjoyable and relaxing Christmas celebration and now looking forward to a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year?

Thank you all for your kind replies and words of wisdom...we finally chose PSS and they start packing our stuff on the 2nd of Jan and should be done on the 4th. They advice that our container would set sail on the 13th of Jan and scheduled for arrival on the 7th of Feb - not bad I say.

I am only just begining to feel the heat now as we have not done anything about selling our house here as yet. The plan is to leave it with a trusted friend as some bits and pieces need doing e.g. painting prior to marketing. I will be instructing an estate agent prior to our exit on the 7th so our trusted friends will be helping us liaise and cordinate home visits with the agent...(yes we are indeed crazy) but we'll see how things pan out...

I will keep you all posted on our experience with PSS.

Happy New year in advance
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:47 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, but it all gets a bit confusing by page 4?
Is there any way we can simplify it byt having a vote for the top 5 companies listed in this thread to help ppl planning on emigrating decide which is the best to go with cause i'm totally confused now!!!

Jen
Old Dec 29th 2006, 6:57 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JenJen
Great post, but it all gets a bit confusing by page 4?
Is there any way we can simplify it byt having a vote for the top 5 companies listed in this thread to help ppl planning on emigrating decide which is the best to go with cause i'm totally confused now!!!

Jen
I know how you feel, just wait until you start looking at money transfers!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:27 pm
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

We used John Mason and they shipped our 20ft container from Bristol to Brisbane and I think we paid £3200 or there abouts. We also had a $300 customs fee.

I was very worried about who to use and nervous about them packing our things but I needn't have worried. On the day of packing two young slim guys arrived and I though 'oh no!!'. We have lots of very heavy furniture (running machines etc) and I thought we don't stand a chance.

Well the first day the spent wrapping and I was surprised to see they used a thick paper instead of bubble wrap. The lads did not stop and wrapped brilliantly all day. They came back the next day and loaded it into the container (with the help of my hubbie on a few heavy bits) and sealed the container infront of us. We were very pleased with them, they were nice lads.

Our things were delivered to our house on Wednesday but the Aussie branch of John Mason - Kent removals/shipping and this time thre were three huge guys - no worries! They gave me a sheet with all the box numbers on and I ticked them off as they brought them out of the container. My husband then directed them to the correct rooms and once that was done they started unpacking.

I thought they would unpack everything but they didn't, just the really big stuff (about half the boxes) and took away the rubbish. We then spent the rest of the day unpacking the smaller things. We now have a garage full of rubbish and they said if we call and put it out they come and collect it.

The Uk end with John Mason I am extremily pleased with. The boys packed things so well and nothing is broken or damaged which I think is amazing. We were really well organised back in the UK and had a real sort out, clean and organised things into piles so it has been quite easy unpacking.

The Aussie end has been good to. The lads were efficient and unloaded things really quickly. My only grip is they took our lovely leather 3 seater through our front door despite us showing them the side gate and huge alfresco door. As a result I had to watch in horror as they rammed our suite through the door. The door creaked and sounded like it was going to fall out! There was no damage to the sofa thanks to the UK boys and their thick paper wrapping but we have a chunk out of our door !! My husband was not best pleased and they took the other sofa the correct way!! We should chase it up but OH can fix it so feel like it is not worth the bother.

So in a nutshell John Mason great and I would highly recommend them. I would also recommend having a huge sort out and organising things so that when you come to unpack over here it is a delight and not a horror! I would also recommend watching which doors sofas go through upon delivery!!!

Oh and the boys in England sealed the boxes with white tape so we could tell ones which had been opened by customs as they re-seal with brown tape! Also I brought dishwasher tablets which were sealed in individual wrappers, you can bring more than you think you can!

Good luck with it all
Interesting! We've used John Mason's and our furniture should be here by the end of January. The British end was fab and I'm so pleased we used a company that did packing.

We have a leather settee too and I was only wondering today whether it will fit through the door of our rental :scared: Better keep a close eye on them...
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:53 pm
msf
Just Joined

msf is an unknown quantity at this point

I used John Mason, thanks to reading this site. Hope it all gets here ok, left the UK just before christmas, is probably somewhere mid-atlantic!
The team were certainly efficient, my only comment, would be to check as they are packing the comments on the inventory list. By each box, they state the general condition, but I questioned this when they said one box had broken china in it - it was actually a teacup without its handle!
Otherwise very efficient to date.
I too have sofas and small doorways for the oz team to negotiate!!