Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping....is this right?

Shipping....is this right?

Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:26 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping....is this right?

Hi all,
Have had my first quote for shipping and i am a little confused. The guy said that a 20ft container was big enough for all of the furniture in a 4bed house. I have asked for a quote on the following:
1 LCD TV
3 chests drawers
1 coffee table
1 washing machine
2 boxes of kitchen equip
3 manequin busts (neck to waist - app 60cm tall)
2 motorcycle helmets
2 boxes miscellaneous
1 cot
2 chest of toys
2 sewing machine

The quote was £1822! Thats more than half a container, i'm sure that the above wouldn't fill that much....what do you think?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:43 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping....is this right?

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi all,
Have had my first quote for shipping and i am a little confused. The guy said that a 20ft container was big enough for all of the furniture in a 4bed house. I have asked for a quote on the following:
1 LCD TV
3 chests drawers
1 coffee table
1 washing machine
2 boxes of kitchen equip
3 manequin busts (neck to waist - app 60cm tall)
2 motorcycle helmets
2 boxes miscellaneous
1 cot
2 chest of toys
2 sewing machine

The quote was £1822! Thats more than half a container, i'm sure that the above wouldn't fill that much....what do you think?
start negotiating

best to get more than 1 quote too
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:10 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably replace everything there in Australia for that amount or not far off
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:31 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

how much cubic feet did they base that quote on?? I would get 3 generally half a shared container doesnt necessarily = half the price of a full container, we have had one quote in at 550 cubic ft - 2300k , waiting for another one coming in tomorrow they reckoned we had 650 cuic feet and got another company coming tomorrow to do survey.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
how much cubic feet did they base that quote on?? I would get 3 generally half a shared container doesnt necessarily = half the price of a full container, we have had one quote in at 550 cubic ft - 2300k , waiting for another one coming in tomorrow they reckoned we had 650 cuic feet and got another company coming tomorrow to do survey.
Have just had 3 quotes and they all said that over a half container is the same price as a full, therefore, between a half and a full is of no significance to price. Its the packing and unpacking that adds to it, if you choose that service. Alos, bear in mind that a sole use of container means that you won't get any delay waiting for anyone elses stuff to fill the rest of it up going to the same shipping destination. Ours is going sole container and we only have a 2 bed house, but company is paying so sod it!! lol