Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping / Removals to Aus

Shipping / Removals to Aus

Old May 20th 2006, 11:41 am
Just Joined

K(5)D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping / Removals to Aus

Hi, am new to this forum. I have just successfully gained my Aus visa and we are going through the process of trying to decide what to ship, etc. We have had several shipping companies in to measure and quote us and we seem to be stuck trying to choose between two - Allied Pickfords and Britannia Castles. We were wondering if anyone could give us some advice which will tip our decision in either direction? Allied Pickfords' quote was (on approx 220 cu ft going groupage) £1,300 plus 3% insurance plus IPT and Britannia's was £1,297 plus 3.675% insurance including IPT. Both companies have been very professional in dealing with us so far and we're having hard time choosing. HELP!

Also, a question on insurance...any advice on whether it is better to use the shipping company's insurance or is it better to outsource it separately ourselves?

Ken & Leah Chynoweth-Tidy
Old May 20th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping / Removals to Aus

Originally Posted by K(5)D
Hi, am new to this forum. I have just successfully gained my Aus visa and we are going through the process of trying to decide what to ship, etc. We have had several shipping companies in to measure and quote us and we seem to be stuck trying to choose between two - Allied Pickfords and Britannia Castles. We were wondering if anyone could give us some advice which will tip our decision in either direction? Allied Pickfords' quote was (on approx 220 cu ft going groupage) £1,300 plus 3% insurance plus IPT and Britannia's was £1,297 plus 3.675% insurance including IPT. Both companies have been very professional in dealing with us so far and we're having hard time choosing. HELP!

Also, a question on insurance...any advice on whether it is better to use the shipping company's insurance or is it better to outsource it separately ourselves?

No visa yet but welcome. I see people saying Pickfords are good and getting other insurance, J Wason if I remember
Old May 20th 2006, 12:51 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the mad house.

Do a search for removals/Shipping, there are lots of post regarding this.
Old May 20th 2006, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

re insurance ......... http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/. I think their rate is 1.5%(try a search)
S
Old May 21st 2006, 12:30 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubbyholder
re insurance ......... http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/. I think their rate is 1.5%(try a search)
S
I'm in the same position - -have had a load of quotes but can't decide.

John Mason's and PSS I'm stuck between. A word of warning on Letton Percival.....apparently they are much cheaper but no-one can afford to claim from them as anyones excess is %3 of the total cost of the whole quote(please tell me if this is wrong) as opposed to just the one or two items claimed upon.

This is just what I have been told. We have decided to give our stuff a value of what we would like if the worst was to happen......for example...... £300 at 3% will give us £10,000 if the ship were to sink and we lost everything.

Can't be ars*d to value every single item when alot of it we wouldn't be bothered about if we lost it - - -but to replace it would cost more than taking it.

Hope that makes sense - - it doesn't to me and I know how it was meant to sound

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

We have used Excess International they have been fantastic - their communication is sooperb - The rep who came intitially was very professional and helpful and in no way pushy.
( We had 2 other companies round and felt they were by far the best - one company took a week to replyh to my initial phone enq which made me wonder how they would deal with my call should there be a problem at a later date)
The lady at the office has replied swiftly to my emails and the lads who came to pack were fantastic - professionals.
The whole thing has been a lot less stressful than i imagined.

Regarding price make sure you compare and advise the other companies of your better quote as they all will come back with a reduction.

Insurance we chose Letton Percival they are half the price of the shippers own and i beleive some shippers use the same policy. It is very easy to arrange and again the people at their office seem to know what they are doing.

Hope this helps - good luck
Old May 21st 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch

John Mason's and PSS I'm stuck between. A word of warning on Letton Percival.....apparently they are much cheaper but no-one can afford to claim from them as anyones excess is %3 of the total cost of the whole quote(please tell me if this is wrong) as opposed to just the one or two items claimed upon.

This is just what I have been told. We have decided to give our stuff a value of what we would like if the worst was to happen......for example...... £300 at 3% will give us £10,000 if the ship were to sink and we lost everything.

Can't be ars*d to value every single item when alot of it we wouldn't be bothered about if we lost it - - -but to replace it would cost more than taking it.

xRachx
Oh....Is that so? -didn't relise that their excess was 3% of the total value.

How does that compare with the shipper's insurance deal , I wonder? Anybody know? or had any problems with LP?
S
Old May 21st 2006, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

we have insured with letton and it cost £68 to insure £4300 - if we need to claim excess is £100
Old May 21st 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ken and Leah,
Welcome and hope the info helps. Question: What is 220 cu ?. Just roughly
Old May 21st 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

"1.53% if goods are professionally packed. the policy is subject to an excess of £100 or 1% of the total value of the consignment excess whichever is greatest"

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch

xRachx
Old May 22nd 2006, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

John Masons were very good. Friend used PSS and they got charged for cleaning the outside of the container! We have had a couple of items damaged and so we'll see what their insurance is like.
Old May 22nd 2006, 4:37 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hi we used Independent freight and there were fabulous, all in all cost us about 300 quid!!! we shipped 3 large boxes containing personal items, eg. photos, shoes, dvd, cds etc. and for the same price we could have had more!! but we didnt want to bring everything over, the company we used goes on the size of the boxes and not the weight which was great, therefore we could have had 10 boxes provided they didnt go over the height and length restriction!!
as for insurance we arranged our own also cost us about 26 quid!!
nothing was broken or even cracked which we didnt expect therefore it was money well spent
pm me if you want any further details
regards
vb2
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:19 am
Just Joined

K(5)D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by framac
Hi Ken and Leah,
Welcome and hope the info helps. Question: What is 220 cu ?. Just roughly
Hi Framac

200 cu ft is around 6m3 ( very roughly) so it's only a small load

Ken
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:19 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

PSS very good for us. Had no problems except with the port of Brisbane holding up everyones container at the time. Recommend them.