Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by judi
what are peoples experiences of customs?

Im abit worried about shipping certain items eg alot of our computer software and music CDs are copyed. Is it best not to bring anything that isnt original?

go back to other posts in the forum ,and read past experiences,but i reiterate customs clear your shipment off your documents ,AQIS quarantine check your shipment ,if they find any thing unusual ,ie boxes and packages of undeclared items they then call customs in, this is when it gets nasty................... MM
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MM,

1 week to packing up, any last minute tips. Followed your advice regarding carvings, will mark them for attrntion of AQIS and if they need fumigation, so be it. The AQIS website highlights charges of $30, much better than the £500 that rentokill quoted.

I'll let you know what ship it's on!
Cheers
Mash

Originally posted by mr mover
go back to other posts in the forum ,and read past experiences,but i reiterate customs clear your shipment off your documents ,AQIS quarantine check your shipment ,if they find any thing unusual ,ie boxes and packages of undeclared items they then call customs in, this is when it gets nasty................... MM
Old Jun 18th 2003, 7:25 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mashiraz
Hi MM,

1 week to packing up, any last minute tips. Followed your advice regarding carvings, will mark them for attrntion of AQIS and if they need fumigation, so be it. The AQIS website highlights charges of $30, much better than the £500 that rentokill quoted.

I'll let you know what ship it's on!
Cheers
Mash
no worries mash ,pm your details, i,ll check our sea cargo , program periodically to see how your ship is going, no new tips just follow what the book says ,and you will have no problems .good luck ................ MM
Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone used FOX removals?

Tony C
Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:11 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

have you got a link for aqis please?
Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

www.aqis.gov.au

mash

Originally posted by yafm
have you got a link for aqis please?
Old Jun 19th 2003, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Had John Masons round on Tuesday. Seemed very professional, however I have a few questions about whether we should take things and risk fumigation or just leave them here.

The John Mason rep told us we could take all of these items if we cleaned them thoroughly with Jeyes fluid.
But how do they know you have used Jeyes fluid on them?!

The items were:

Plastic garden table and chairs
metal ladder
ELC climbing frame and swing set (I am keen to take this as including the accesories it cost about £350)
Bikes
garden hose

She said it isn't worth the risk taking the mower and strimmer or hoover.

Has anyone taken any outdoor items and did they have to be fumigated?
I don't want to take these things if it is going to cost us a fortune when we arrive.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Had John Masons round on Tuesday. Seemed very professional, however I have a few questions about whether we should take things and risk fumigation or just leave them here.

The John Mason rep told us we could take all of these items if we cleaned them thoroughly with Jeyes fluid.

The items were:

metal ladder
ELC climbing frame and swing set (I am keen to take this as including the accesories it cost about £350)
Bikes
garden hose

I don't want to take these things if it is going to cost us a fortune when we arrive.
Believe me, they will know if you have used Jeyes Fluid ! Make sure you don't rinse it off too thoroughly. Even when dry (make sure you don't ever pack anything damp !) it still reeks after a month locked up in a container.

I took all my gardening tools, my outdoors furniture, my wellies, all my shoes, all the garden pots, and all my camping stuff. I ditched the lawn mowers.

I cleaned off every bit of mud which took ages. I cleaned all the tools, pots, furniture and boots in Jeyes fluid. Aussie Quarantine open all these boxes (and none others). No treatment was necessary. However, they did charge me about $300 (from memory) for their time.

Be especially careful with camping equipment. It's amazing how much mud gets hidden away on ground sheets and tent pegs. Also make sure that you get the mud out of all those zig zaggy bits on the soles of your shoes.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Also ... there is no reason why you can't take the hoover. Just remove the bag before you pack it. I did and there was no problem.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 9:13 am
Banned

Originally posted by tinaj

The items were:

metal ladder
Bikes
garden hose

tinja , plastic garden table /chairs ,all surfaces that come in to contact with the ground must be clean ,ie [no dirt],ditto, on metal ladder, ELC,[?] i assume a play gym, make sure the tubes are clear of any insect larvae,cobwebs etc,bikes tyre treads clean of all dirt or mud, garden hose no water inside. The vacuum cleaner,[we always get a laugh when ,poms call them "oovers"] NO bag,or dirt inside,mower and catcher must be totally clean,no grass or soil,same with trimmer, do all this and you will have no problems.the only times they fumigate is if there is a risk of a living organism be prevalent......................... MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 9:56 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Had a quote for nearly 2 cubic metres from London to Melbourne £225.
S
Old Jun 19th 2003, 10:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by Snitzy
Had a quote for nearly 2 cubic metres from London to Melbourne £225.
S
run with it ,if its a good company we can get the equivalantof 90 quid a cu m3 Adelaide> to Brisbane.................... MM
Old Jun 19th 2003, 10:34 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

run with it ,if its a good company we can get the equivalantof 90 quid a cu m3 Adelaide> to Brisbane.................... MM
Does that include packing etc ? As the price I got is fully inclusive of all fees door to door.
I got a quote of us$45 per m3 freight only.

Last edited by Snitzy; Jun 19th 2003 at 10:37 am.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 10:53 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

tinja , plastic garden table /chairs ,all surfaces that come in to contact with the ground must be clean ,ie [no dirt],ditto, on metal ladder, ELC,[?] i assume a play gym, make sure the tubes are clear of any insect larvae,cobwebs etc,bikes tyre treads clean of all dirt or mud, garden hose no water inside. The vacuum cleaner,[we always get a laugh when ,poms call them "oovers"] NO bag,or dirt inside,mower and catcher must be totally clean,no grass or soil,same with trimmer, do all this and you will have no problems.the only times they fumigate is if there is a risk of a living organism be prevalent......................... MM
We just had a local outfit around for a quote , they said that we should forget anything wicker, bamboo also my husbands fishing equipment a no goer, I knew about the dirt aspect etc. but is this true about wicker etc, I hope not.

thanks
Old Jun 19th 2003, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by suz
We just had a local outfit around for a quote , they said that we should forget anything wicker, bamboo also my husbands fishing equipment a no goer, I knew about the dirt aspect etc. but is this true about wicker etc, I hope not.

thanks
Wicker is a definate no, look on the foresteries and fisheries website that Mashiraz posted earlier.

Thanks for all the advice it looks like it might be worth taking the garden stuff.

Just got the quote back from John Masons 20ft container 1000 cubic metres of stuff for £3125. Is this a good price?
We actually came in at 1300 metres, but we will have to ditch certain things as I am not willing to spend any more than this on removals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.