Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Old Jun 5th 2003, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had John mason round yesterday. Seemed very professional. For some reason, felt more comfortable with a woman doing the assessment. In direct contrast to Excess baggage, she was pointing out specific items, and gave good advice. We don't have much stuff, but do want storage on the other end, until we buy a place. She advised a shared container, and they pack each groups items in different colour boxes to stop them getting mixed up. Also, said that at the other end, their process is to empty the container anyway, so no real difference with them and going in a shared container.

Quoted about £1200-£1500 for shared container to Sydney. full quote will come in the post, buty definitely positive.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 5:26 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Growler
Just had John mason round yesterday. Seemed very professional. For some reason, felt more comfortable with a woman doing the assessment. In direct contrast to Excess baggage, she was pointing out specific items, and gave good advice. We don't have much stuff, but do want storage on the other end, until we buy a place. She advised a shared container, and they pack each groups items in different colour boxes to stop them getting mixed up. Also, said that at the other end, their process is to empty the container anyway, so no real difference with them and going in a shared container.

Quoted about £1200-£1500 for shared container to Sydney. full quote will come in the post, buty definitely positive.
our internationl manager is a woman ,and does an amirable job,she can sell as good as any one,the bit about the different coloured boxes ,is a new one but i suppose if they want your work they will tell you anything,if they bulkhead off between, jobs and the inventories are compiled correctly ,there,s no chance of a mix up........... MM
Old Jun 12th 2003, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

OK, we have had all the quotes, and most professional is doree Bonner. They are more expensive, and the insurance is more expensive, but they seem to be more knowledgable, and offer longer storage time for free, which is important to us.

PSS are crap, don't even bother wasting time with them. We thought Bishops move and john Mason were also good, although bishops move did miss some things which John Mason and doree picked up.

will continue to update as and when I can during the process.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 4:12 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

OK, we have had all the quotes, and most professional is doree Bonner. They are more expensive, and the insurance is more expensive, but they seem to be more knowledgable, and offer longer storage time for free, which is important to us.

PSS are crap, don't even bother wasting time with them. We thought Bishops move and john Mason were also good, although bishops move did miss some things which John Mason and doree picked up.

Thanks for this Growler,
I'm pulling together a list and from past (UK only) experience Bishops are at the top.
When are you leaving the UK and how much notice do you need to give these guys?
We're off in October and I'm just about starting to panic!

Dinky
Old Jun 12th 2003, 7:44 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

re PSS info please ????
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

PSS, you could do a search here for their reports, or you can have them round to do a totally inadequate proposal in 5 minutes. Don't let the brochure fool you, they gave the impression which justifies the negative comments on here.

As for notice, most said give 3-4 weeks notice, but the more the better. PSS said we needed to let them know very quickly, the others more flexible.

we were quite lucky that my wife was at home so that she could meet the company reps, and make a more informed choice, so hopefully this has helped.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I am in a real quandry now, but feel I shall go with who can give me the best free storage as the guy at pickfords said that part of my quote was neither here nor there then wanted to charge me 350 for 2 months !

Pickfords 2021 plus 3% insurance on selected items full pack adn wrap service no free storage one payment on collection and the rest as it leaves.

Anglo Pacific - 2061 plus 3% insurance on selected if I want, 2 months free storage adn just £75 inc vat a month for storage

Crown relocations - They will do exactly the same as above Anglo
Help how do I choose? I was going to go with Crown as they have Crown in Australia ?

I know someone used Anglo before and on the way back they were not any good but Mr mover's words ring in my ears " they ar eonly all as good as thier packers"
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

hi growler!

have you considered doing your own packing? if so , you can save hundreds of pounds.

I highly recommend 'u pack we ship' in conjuction with Octain forwarders, can give you details if interested.

we shipped a very full 20ft container from London to Melbourne total cost door to door just under £2,000.00 inc all costs for wrapping, customs, everything!.

Good luck!

Cheers!
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by poggle
hi growler!

have you considered doing your own packing? if so , you can save hundreds of pounds.

I highly recommend 'u pack we ship' in conjuction with Octain forwarders, can give you details if interested.

we shipped a very full 20ft container from London to Melbourne total cost door to door just under £2,000.00 inc all costs for wrapping, customs, everything!.

Good luck!

Cheers!
kaff just be a bit careful ,with this self pack thing as the parameters, are changing every day , what you did was admirable , but the way things are at the moment i dont think you would get away with it .... MM
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, we considered that, but we only need a half container, so saving money there anyway, and we have too many briks and braks, and the difference is the insurance, which is almost double for self packing. Also, I don't have packing for stuff like TV, fragile stuff etc.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
kaff just be a bit careful ,with this self pack thing as the parameters, are changing every day , what you did was admirable , but the way things are at the moment i dont think you would get away with it .... MM

Hi MM!

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean about 'the way things are at the moment' and dont think we would 'get away with it'?

We have friends coming out later this year and will be using these companies on our recommendation. I personally know the MD of Octain freight and forwarding and was inroduced to Chris at u pack we ship. these companies along with aspac in Melbourne were REALLY efficient! and all went so smoothly!

youve got me worried now!

Cheers!
Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:09 pm
Banned

Originally posted by poggle
Hi MM!

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean about 'the way things are at the moment' and dont think we would 'get away with it'?

We have friends coming out later this year and will be using these companies on our recommendation. I personally know the MD of Octain freight and forwarding and was inroduced to Chris at u pack we ship. these companies along with aspac in Melbourne were REALLY efficient! and all went so smoothly!

youve got me worried now!

Cheers!
with the terrorism bogey ,spooking all and sunder, container shipments are coming under more scrutiny,we are doing one this morning from FORT WORTH TEXAS, 2ic of Santos [oil company]he could not get on site clearence ,we had to m/t the 40footer,bond store clear it ,then reload the entire shipment[at geat cost]normally done on site................. mm
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

jezzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping quotes - what we have so far

We are looking at shipping out our stuff, so far we have arranged quotes with Excess Baggage, John Mason, PSS, Bishops move and Doree Bonner. We are trying to arrange one with Pickfords, but they have not been very responsive.

Excess baggage were round today, and teh wife said he was nice enough chap, but didn't have any frame of reference for comparison.

He said it would be £2000-£2500, but let them know about other quotes.

Will update this thread as and when we see teh others, which will all happen in the next 2 weeks.

If anyone can recommend a shipping company not mentioned, or has a reason why we should NOT go with one of these, please let me know.
We used Brittania to ship our stuff to NZ, highly reccomended,£2500 for a full 20ft container door to door, everything was fully wrapped up at our house and packed very well, no breakages and they took away all the wrapping this end.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 3:48 pm
Geelong October!!!!

Codgob is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Just had John Mason quote for two bed house,275cu ft came to £1290 plus insurance at 2%
Old Jun 17th 2003, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

judi is an unknown quantity at this point

what are peoples experiences of customs?

Im abit worried about shipping certain items eg alot of our computer software and music CDs are copyed. Is it best not to bring anything that isnt original?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.