Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Old May 30th 2003, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping quotes - what we have so far

We are looking at shipping out our stuff, so far we have arranged quotes with Excess Baggage, John Mason, PSS, Bishops move and Doree Bonner. We are trying to arrange one with Pickfords, but they have not been very responsive.

Excess baggage were round today, and teh wife said he was nice enough chap, but didn't have any frame of reference for comparison.

He said it would be £2000-£2500, but let them know about other quotes.

Will update this thread as and when we see teh others, which will all happen in the next 2 weeks.

If anyone can recommend a shipping company not mentioned, or has a reason why we should NOT go with one of these, please let me know.
Old May 30th 2003, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I am stuck between 2 Crown relocations and Anglo Pacific, both members of B.A.R. both around the same quotes. really difficult. Crown do alot of the relocations for people in work as I work for a global company and have alot of people relocating a lot and they are highly recommeded with work.

Crown have their own sites out in OZ so worth a call.

Both where cheaper than PSS, John Mason.

We requested a quote from Britannia the guy came round and said he would do it and have never heard from him since, that's one to avoid

Carrianne
Old May 30th 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping quotes - what we have so far

Originally posted by Growler
We are looking at shipping out our stuff, so far we have arranged quotes with Excess Baggage, John Mason, PSS, Bishops move and Doree Bonner. We are trying to arrange one with Pickfords, but they have not been very responsive.

Excess baggage were round today, and teh wife said he was nice enough chap, but didn't have any frame of reference for comparison.

Will update this thread as and when we see teh others, which will all happen in the next 2 weeks.

If anyone can recommend a shipping company not mentioned, or has a reason why we should NOT go with one of these, please let me know.
We have two quotes back so far, A 20 ft container with 850 cubic feet of stuff. PSS quoted £2750 and Pickfords came back with a whopping £3600. I phoned pickfords to ask why they were so much more expensive and was told " Because we are more professional"
I will pass on the professionalism for an extra £850.....
Old May 31st 2003, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

We used a relocation consultancy (bit like a mortgage broker) recommended by our agent.

IRC Consultants Ltd 01452 714 932
e: [email protected]

They sent a guy round to assess the size of our shipment and they then trawl the market of companies they rate highly and ask for quotes. We were then presented with a comprehensive report containing profiles, quotes and additional info from 3 companies, one of whom they recommend over the others, although all are rated.
This saves 3-4 companies coming over and giving you quotes and we will choose the company we prefer. The Consultancy stays in contact and is available for any questions or problems. I have to say they have been extremely helpful so far. We didn't pay them anything, they probably take a fee from whichever company we choose.

Anyway, this may be worth thinking about.
Old May 31st 2003, 11:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bella
We used a relocation consultancy (bit like a mortgage broker) recommended by our agent.

IRC Consultants Ltd 01452 714 932
e: [email protected]

They sent a guy round to assess the size of our shipment and they then trawl the market of companies they rate highly and ask for quotes. We were then presented with a comprehensive report containing profiles, quotes and additional info from 3 companies, one of whom they recommend over the others, although all are rated.
This saves 3-4 companies coming over and giving you quotes and we will choose the company we prefer. The Consultancy stays in contact and is available for any questions or problems. I have to say they have been extremely helpful so far. We didn't pay them anything, they probably take a fee from whichever company we choose.

Anyway, this may be worth thinking about.
In Australia we call these people PARASITES , they are great at getting between people who are too busy to do there own leg work and the shippers , if they work the same as they do here they colude with one company who gives you the best quote, and the rest is all "smoke and mirrors" i bet you "if you had done all your own work " you would have saved hundreds ................ MM
Old May 31st 2003, 11:23 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ianha77
We have two quotes back so far, A 20 ft container with 850 cubic feet of stuff. PSS quoted £2750 and Pickfords came back with a whopping £3600. I phoned pickfords to ask why they were so much more expensive and was told " Because we are more professional"
I will pass on the professionalism for an extra £850.....
Is this sole use, ? 850cu ft , i would say off my back, pickfords, was sole use, for that money. What PSS will do is tell you is that you are getting sole use, yet they will cram another job in to make up the money , hence pickfords profesionalism,remember ian 850cuft is only 24 cumtrs which is 2/3of sea tainer , leaves alot of room?....................
Old May 31st 2003, 11:37 am
Banned

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

I am stuck between 2 Crown relocations and Anglo Pacific, both members of B.A.R. both around the same quotes. really difficult. Crown do alot of the relocations for people in work as I work for a global company and have alot of people relocating a lot and they are highly recommeded with work.

Crown have their own sites out in OZ so worth a call.

Both where cheaper than PSS, John Mason.

We requested a quote from Britannia the guy came round and said he would do it and have never heard from him since, that's one to avoid

Carrianne
carrianne ,if you realised how much colousion goes on between these companys you would be horrified, the company i contract too and CROWN are owned by the same people ,yet we operate in oz totally independant of each other .You will find that company reps in the same areas ,probably drink at the same pubs and discuss jobs ,as to making sure they fill containers ,no one likes to send half empty containers around the world ,volume is money...............
Old May 31st 2003, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Having been through this process I would suggest that you also take a good look at the insurance costs. These shipping companies make use of a strange maritime law that basically gives them complete imunity from losing the entire contents of your house at sea. In order to protect yourselves from this travesty you are required to take out shipping insurance. The removals companies usually tie you in to one particular insurer. Bearing in mind that shipping insurance can amount to one third of the total shipping cost it is worth shopping around.

For the record I went with Pickfords. They charged me about £3300 for an exclusive 20 ft container from UK to Oz. My insurance premium was about another £1400 although I did have some very valuable 'valuables' which bumped the price up considerably. I had to claim back £350 worth of breakages after I'd arrived.

Pickfords have a large presence in Australia and were reasonably professional at both ends. I may have been able to get it cheaper but this was one part of the move that I delegated to the wife.
Old May 31st 2003, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
Is this sole use, ? 850cu ft , i would say off my back, pickfords, was sole use, for that money. What PSS will do is tell you is that you are getting sole use, yet they will cram another job in to make up the money , hence pickfords profesionalism,remember ian 850cuft is only 24 cumtrs which is 2/3of sea tainer , leaves alot of room?....................
The quotes from both PSS and Pickfords were for a 20 ft Reefer which has a capacity of 900-1000 cu ft. The quotes were for sole use.
Old May 31st 2003, 6:05 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

The quotes from both PSS and Pickfords were for a 20 ft Reefer which has a capacity of 900-1000 cu ft. The quotes were for sole use.

I may be suspicious but Mr Mover may be right

I got a sole use quote from PSS - as with 7 others - I think I will use them BUT they quoted me £3144 and Bishops were £2989 but PSShad a cheaper insurance quote and also offered me £100 to go slower through the suez canal. If you were having a SOLE USE container why is there such a difference
Old May 31st 2003, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

yafm,

I think some of the cost depends on how many items they have to wrap, crate and protect. ie how much work the team need to do before it gets in the container.

Just a guess but that's the only reason a quote would change if you add items to it..

Mash...

Originally posted by yafm
I may be suspicious but Mr Mover may be right

I got a sole use quote from PSS - as with 7 others - I think I will use them BUT they quoted me £3144 and Bishops were £2989 but PSShad a cheaper insurance quote and also offered me £100 to go slower through the suez canal. If you were having a SOLE USE container why is there such a difference
Old May 31st 2003, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Growler

I have heard that John Mason is very good from other posts. I have had quotes from Excess, Anglo and DAP Excess were the cheapest but Anglo came across as more professional. Could you pass on the number for John Mason as i cant find it anywhere on the web.

Thanks
Pete
Old May 31st 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Merseyside
0151 449 3938
Gill Kelley
Philp Staley

Croydon 020 8667 1133

www.johnmason.com

Mash

Originally posted by John Howard
I have heard that John Mason is very good from other posts. I have had quotes from Excess, Anglo and DAP Excess were the cheapest but Anglo came across as more professional. Could you pass on the number for John Mason as i cant find it anywhere on the web.

Thanks
Pete
Old Jun 1st 2003, 12:22 am
Banned

If you read some of my earlier posts , about reefer or chiller boxes ,you will understand that the removal companys get these from the cargo companys for a small fee or nothing as its part of the relocation program, [not much chilled produce is imported in to oz, so this addresses the imbalance], points to look for while they are loading .1/the steel slat foors are lined with ply or heavy cardboard,2/ there is no dampness ,as these boxes are washed out 3/ as there is generally no tie down points,good tight loading is required,............ MM
Old Jun 1st 2003, 12:25 am
Banned

Originally posted by John Howard

Thanks
Pete
If this helps ,we had a 20 in from excess, a fornight ago i have done 2 deliveries off it , no problems ............. MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.