Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping quotes - is this a record high for 20 foot!!!!!!!!

Shipping quotes - is this a record high for 20 foot!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping quotes - is this a record high for 20 foot!!!!!!!!

Hi
I've done several searches on this subject over the past year and a half since we first decided to move and more recently since we started to book shippers for estimates. We've just got back our first quote - £3845 for a single use 20 foot container from Essex to Adelaide ...have prices really gone up to this much or is this really,really high????????
Hoping other quotes come in a lot lower!!!!!!!!!
Susan
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping quotes - is this a record high for 20 foot!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
Hi
I've done several searches on this subject over the past year and a half since we first decided to move and more recently since we started to book shippers for estimates. We've just got back our first quote - £3845 for a single use 20 foot container from Essex to Adelaide ...have prices really gone up to this much or is this really,really high????????
Susan
It is very high, try others as the difference will amaze you.

We are using a 20 foot container from Belfast to Brissy and the best quote we got was £2,300.

Good luck, Mark.

Last edited by Gold Coasters; Jun 25th 2004 at 5:58 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Susan
For that price add 1000 pounds and get 40ft!

and also tell the first quoters you will come back to them with the lowest offer and see if they still want the business!

Make sure you tell each one quoting you have the others in (never sign up on the day) and if they want the business they better be good or willing to meet prices!

Best of luck
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:14 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gold Coasters
It is very high, try others as the difference will amaze you.

We are using a 20 foot container from Belfast to Brissy and the best quote we got was £2,300.

Good luck, Mark.
Hi Mark

Who was that quote with? We've been quoted £3.8k too, inclusive of insurance with Pickfords. Newcastle to port, don't know which port, then onto Perth.

Walla
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

No its not the most expensive.

We have been quoted £ 4587 by Robinsons ( I think its pronounced Robbing Gits and Sons )

The cheapest quote was PSS which was £ 3200.

The above prices are for sole use of 20 ft container from Surrey
to Sunshine coast and includes packing by the shipper.

Any one been quoted more ?

Ian
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

Edited,,

As I posted same message twice !!!!
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walla1
Hi Mark

Who was that quote with? We've been quoted £3.8k too, inclusive of insurance with Pickfords. Newcastle to port, don't know which port, then onto Perth.

Walla
Hi,

That quote was from Morgans, based in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I do not know if they have a base in England, Scotland or Wales, but you could e-mail them on, [email protected] they may be able to help you out, let me know if they do.

Good luck, Mark.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Can't believe how much they charge...we were expecting £3-3500 -ish. Hope the others come in lower!
Susan
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

andrea jc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Susan
Hi
I've just had several quotes for a 40' container, and the lowest was £4,200.00 (PSS). This is packing for 4 days and ferrying stuff in smaller trucks to load, as we have a very narrow drive.
Your quote definately seems on the high side!
I'd keep looking if I were you!

Andrea
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:55 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gold Coasters
Hi,

That quote was from Morgans, based in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I do not know if they have a base in England, Scotland or Wales, but you could e-mail them on, [email protected] they may be able to help you out, let me know if they do.

Good luck, Mark.
Hi

Chears, will check them out

Walla
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hazard a guess that a lot depends on what proportion of the load for say a 20' container the breakables is.

It would take a lot more time to properly protect boxes of china than say furniture filling the same space.

Not to say that the differences in quotes aren't big!
Old Jun 25th 2004, 8:45 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we were quoted 3449 by PSS for sole use of a 20 foot container, that included packing, shipping, delivery, 2 weeks free storage UK, Customs in oz and delivery/unpacking in Taz.

We chose a 40foot container for an extra 1000 so all in all with everything included we have to pay 5449 for everything to be included.

Hope this helps, we had a couple of other quotes and they wanted 4 and a half for a 20 foot container so we thought this one was our best choice as we are shipping to Hobart so it has to go to Melbourne first and then transferred on to Hobart in Tasmania

Good Luck with your search

Christine
Old Jun 25th 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Hazard a guess that a lot depends on what proportion of the load for say a 20' container the breakables is.

It would take a lot more time to properly protect boxes of china than say furniture filling the same space.

Not to say that the differences in quotes aren't big!
Just wanted to add that the majority of the items in our container will be books - my fiction, my husbands stuff and also those belonging to our eleven month old ...we like books in our house - even though our son mainly eats them rather than reads them! and also all my 'teaching stuff' - files, books, you name it. Breakables are a real minimum for us. We're not even taking our couches, wardrobes (they are fitted ones) or white goods (except the tumble drier). Not sure where all our stuff comes from really!!!!! Loking forward to some cheaper quotes arriving or serious negotiation is called for!
Susan
Old Jun 26th 2004, 6:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Your quote certainly seems well out of line then.

We are getting three when we have cleared out our place and know what (if anything!) is going.

Assuming, of course, that the house sale goes through OK.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Sorry if this is a stupid question but when you say 20ft container do you mean 20 x 20 x 20 (i.e. 20ft cubed) ?

If not what are the other dimensions please ?

Just trying to estimate what size crate we will need.

Thanks

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.