Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Quote to OZ... now what about the car??

Shipping Quote to OZ... now what about the car??

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:39 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Shipping Quote to OZ... now what about the car??

Hi all,

We`ve been getting quotes for shipping a 20ft container to Perth, and I spoke to Barrie of Shippers2000 (www.shippers2000.com), and he is VERY informative and (seems to be) very honest.

He told me that the Shipping industry itself uses US $ for everything, so that if (as now) the £ is so strong against the US$, it`s better for those moving from the UK to wherever.
He also said it`s mostly a waste of money to fumigate your container/car here in the UK as the Aus customs will just pick on something there and fumigate/steam clean there anyway, so you may as well just get them to do it.
I`m not sure how to attach the scan of the quote from him, so here`s the url I`ve posted it to....
http://www.mandyleigh.com/OZ/shippin...ippers2000.jpg

Hopefully that will be helpful as a guide quote to others moving from the UK to Aus.

It is for a 20ft container and a car (about £200 for the car to be included).

It doesn`t include packing (as you can choose to do that yourselves). We`ll be getting a local company to pack for us I think, but Shippers2000 will do it for about £900 . It`s interesting to know that you have about 3 hours to pack the shipping container when it arrives at your house, so you should have everything packed the day before at least.

It also doesn`t include port-door in Perth, but I`ll be getting quotes from Perth agents for that myself as well. I`ve heard that other shipping co`s just do the same thing anyway.

What I`d like to find out more about is how much it will cost in Perth to take the car. It`s a Rav4 GS (3 door) and is prob worth about £3000. Any advice?

Cheers,

Gary
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:46 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping Quote to OZ... now what about the car??

Originally Posted by Stormz
Hi all,

We`ve been getting quotes for shipping a 20ft container to Perth, and I spoke to Barrie of Shippers2000 (www.shippers2000.com), and he is VERY informative and (seems to be) very honest.

He told me that the Shipping industry itself uses US $ for everything, so that if (as now) the £ is so strong against the US$, it`s better for those moving from the UK to wherever.
He also said it`s mostly a waste of money to fumigate your container/car here in the UK as the Aus customs will just pick on something there and fumigate/steam clean there anyway, so you may as well just get them to do it.
I`m not sure how to attach the scan of the quote from him, so here`s the url I`ve posted it to....

Hopefully that will be helpful as a guide quote to others moving from the UK to Aus.

It doesn`t include packing (as you can choose to do that yourselves). We`ll be getting a local company to pack for us I think, but Shippers2000 will do it for about £900 . It`s interesting to know that you have about 3 hours to pack the shipping container when it arrives at your house, so you should have everything packed the day before at least.

It also doesn`t include port-door in Perth, but I`ll be getting quotes from Perth agents for that myself as well. I`ve heard that other shipping co`s just do the same thing anyway.

What I`d like to find out more about is how much it will cost in Perth to take the car. It`s a Rav4 GS (3 door) and is prob worth about £3000. Any advice?

Cheers,

Gary
will probably cost you between £4,000 and £6,000 to take the car
Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of things - what does he mean "usually most people arrange to load containers themselves" - they don't thats what they pay the shippers for. They also usually pay the shippers for the container to be cleared through customs, and delivered to their new home. Otherwise YOU will have to arrange with a shipping firm this end to clear it and deliver it.
Fumigation - AQIS will only fumigate the goods that need fumigating, and they will charge you for each one. Clean them thoroughly first and you will save yourself a lot of money. They don't fumigate everything. If he is referring to fumigation of the CONTAINER - he shouldn't be shipping in an unclean container - somewhere there are posts from Mr Mover on the subject. The container should be clean when it is loaded.

Car import costs will be large - whats quoted here is the mere shipping cost - NOT including the customs clearance.

If you are happy loading the container yourselves, then thats fine. but that does sound a lot of dosh when compared with quotes others have had for door-to-door with packing and loading included.

FInally, not heard of the company before....do they do their own shipping, or do they subcontract the container on to another firm - eg, my contract was with 'Dodgy Loads Ltd' of Hove, who then - unknown to me - subbed the container to ***** ******** to actually ship it.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Lunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the roughLunnons is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Stormz
Hi all,

Cheers,

Gary
Cars are a nightmare from the enquiries I have made and no-one will actually give you an answer
from what I can work out you pay to ship it, then at the other you pay about 5% duty then you pay 10% on (duty+shipping cost+value fee of vehicle) - (which oz values although at a discounted rate as it is docked)
also the vehicle has to be either registered to yourself for a year or more or over 15 years old
This is what I bascially made of it - so unless you are really attached to your car it seems like alot of bother to me!
P.s it also has to meet Australia vehicle requirements whatever they are!

As you can see alot of hassle - unless someone knows different????
Old Feb 17th 2005, 5:10 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well, firstly this company can supply packers, which would be another £900. Packing it yourself just saves money.

They organise all the containers etc themselves, so they don`t sub-contract to others.

Interesting point re the container fumigation. I`ll ask more questions about that.

As for the car, I think there`s a huge diff between £4 - £6,000 and 10% of the value of the car/shipping, which (for arguments sake if the car were worth $8000 in Aus) would be $800 (10% of car) + $200 (10% of the total shipping (£2000) = $1000 . Not too bad if that was the case (+ whatever fumigation they may do). If there was an extra 5% it would be $1500 altogether.
All UK cars meet Aussie requirements, except the speedo would have to be changed... except in this case our Rav4 already has km/h and mp/h in the speedo.

I did know Shippers2000 didn`t include a customes clearance for the car... hence the post and the question, as the other guy is right.... no-one (even the people in charge in Oz) will give you a clear answer.

Other places have quoted between £3000 and £3,500 to ship door to door (without a car). If I can organise just a couple of things myself then I save on the middle man getting his cut.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Steve-B is an unknown quantity at this point

i did some searching on this Shippers2000 company you mentioned and found this web page that means there is no way in @£$% i could give them my custom:

http://www.shipping-international.co...-shipping.html

Looks very much like Caveat :scared: Emptor with them!

Steve