Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Quote In - Is this expensive?

Shipping Quote In - Is this expensive?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Quote In - Is this expensive?

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi just had a quote, from VPL from heathrow for 600 cuft £2,200 door to door

What's that as a % of a 20ft container roughly?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What's that as a % of a 20ft container roughly?
about half, i think
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

What happens if you don't fill a 20 foot container are you still charged for potential storage?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

This maybe on pair with 'will my curtains fit in OZ, but bare with me

I have noticed in most houses in Oz all wardrobes are built in, therefore it seems daft to take with us ? That would reduce our container quite a bit?
Any thoughts guys ?
c x
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

polly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant futurepolly_pod has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolinejones3
This maybe on pair with 'will my curtains fit in OZ, but bare with me

I have noticed in most houses in Oz all wardrobes are built in, therefore it seems daft to take with us ? That would reduce our container quite a bit?
Any thoughts guys ?
c x
Personally we ebayed ours before we left, our rental has built in's and we'd have struggled if we had brought them.

We viewed 6 properties and they all had them. Although not all properties will have them I reckon most do. Check out real estate websites out fir the areas your looking at and see if the types of property your looking at tends to have them that might help.

Best wishes
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by polly_pod
Personally we ebayed ours before we left, our rental has built in's and we'd have struggled if we had brought them.

We viewed 6 properties and they all had them. Although not all properties will have them I reckon most do. Check out real estate websites out fir the areas your looking at and see if the types of property your looking at tends to have them that might help.

Best wishes
Thought as much. Thanks.
Its a shame really because I do like them, good quality and nice wood. However I do realise that I could be certified for being emotional over a good wardrobe set
Cheers Cx
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:49 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet10
Just have the dilema of do we go with a well known compnay like Pickfords (who are based in Australia also) or go with a more local company?!!
Same(ish) name, different company's, no matter how they try to tell you otherwise.

We used them before and just from our experience I wouldn't use them again. But then that could be said for almost any shipping company. You pay the money, you choose who you go with.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
about half, i think
Thanks.

Originally Posted by carolinejones3
Thought as much. Thanks.
Its a shame really because I do like them, good quality and nice wood. However I do realise that I could be certified for being emotional over a good wardrobe set
Cheers Cx
Won't be taking our cupboards (all huge Ikea ones). Already gave two of them away in Friday ads.

Will actually sell the rest as there was a lot of interest in them.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:12 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
Same(ish) name, different company's, no matter how they try to tell you otherwise.

We used them before and just from our experience I wouldn't use them again. But then that could be said for almost any shipping company. You pay the money, you choose who you go with.
Pickfords {UK], Allied-Pickfords {AUST] Are the same company , they are both owned by the US based SIRVA GROUP...................mm
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:34 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mr mover
Pickfords {UK], Allied-Pickfords {AUST] Are the same company , they are both owned by the US based SIRVA GROUP...................mm
All that says is that they're owned by the same parent company, they aren't the same company but they use the name to mislead you otherwise.

Found that out when we used them.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
What happens if you don't fill a 20 foot container are you still charged for potential storage?
Hmmm - need to be careful here. From my experience (over the past two weeks) this fluctuates. Some companies have quoted us as having 750 cubic feet while others have quoted 950. Three told us that we can only use the exact amount we have been quoted and so cannot fill up the container even while it is sole use. The other two told me as long as we tell them in advance, we can use the extra space without further charge (but one did say they would charge us for the extra packaging!) All very confusing for someone whose head is already swirling