Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping question for those in Oz!!!

Shipping question for those in Oz!!!

Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:02 pm
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping question for those in Oz!!!

Hi all,

We have some storage boxes made of wicker/palm leaf/seagrass. We want to bring them with us when we go.

We really like them/some were gifts/others were not cheap.

Have searched on the forum for related topics and although there is some general advice re costs for them being fumigated or destroyed I couldn't find advice from anyone that had actually risked it.

I have asked shipping agents but advice is very vague.

What I really need to know is, have any of you shipped goods like this and did they get through ok? I know u have to declare them to customs, did you pay a fumigation fee? Was it very expensive?

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.

T&P x
Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

mandy smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ME TOO

Hi,
I have the same problem we have two nice pieces of wicker furniture that i would love to take with us.but dont know if its worth the risk.
the thought of having to give a way ten of my straw bags is also deeply upsetting.

so i can sympathise with you.but would also like to find out from the others if they have had problems getting through.

Mandy
Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wicker etc are a strict no-no according to AQIS. If you don't declare them, and they are found in a random box check its not like one small item overlooked, it would look deliberate, and from what I've heard they would then inspect your entire consignment. They won't let the wicker in and you'll have to pay for destruction.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Location: Sydney since February (and loving it!), London before that.
pangit is an unknown quantity at this point

I certainly wouldn't risk it for the reasons already mentioned. We declared everything made out of wood to be on the safe side and they opened every box that was on the list. They also opened the box containing shoes (make sure the soles are spotless!) and several others randomly. You can see which boxes they opened by the orange tape they use to re-seal them. We also left our garden tools behind and other things like aerosols on advice from the packers.

We were OK, but if we had tried to hide something they may well have found it and the penalties are severe.

Speak to your packers to see if there is any way of getting them fumigated properly (I think the AQIS have guidelines on this??), but whatever you do don't try to hide them. The AQIS inspectors are very thorough.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:11 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Send a PM to Mr Mover to get the real gen and put your mind at rest one way or the other
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:37 am
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

Thanks all!

I wasn't intending on hiding anything - I meant should we risk it - meaning ship them and declare them and hope that there isn't an expensive fumigation/destruction bill waiting for us the other end.

Thanks for the advice though.

Will pm Mr Mover and see what he thinks!

Thanks

T x
Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I "heard" on the site (so don't take this as gospel) that you can take painted wicker. Just spent a while spray painting some of my knicknaks, but I will be putting them in "Aqis" boxes, with a few bits of wood etc.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:27 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping question for those in Oz!!!

Originally posted by T&P
Hi all,

We have some storage boxes made of wicker/palm leaf/seagrass. We want to bring them with us when we go.

We really like them/some were gifts/others were not cheap.

Have searched on the forum for related topics and although there is some general advice re costs for them being fumigated or destroyed I couldn't find advice from anyone that had actually risked it.

I have asked shipping agents but advice is very vague.

What I really need to know is, have any of you shipped goods like this and did they get through ok? I know u have to declare them to customs, did you pay a fumigation fee? Was it very expensive?

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.

T&P x
I think you will find its a no-no as others have said. However try sending this guy an email, he may be able to advise;

[email protected]

PJ