Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping prized possesion...photographs

Shipping prized possesion...photographs

Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping prized possesion...photographs

Hi, just sorted out the photographs collected over the years, approx. 6/7 massive photo albums

Just wanted to know if any of you shipped your photographs with other goods in the container/or by air, and did they reach safely. Personally I would prefer hand carrying them but it would add up to the weight.

Cheers!
Sarah
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping prized possesion...photographs

Originally Posted by scitta
Hi, just sorted out the photographs collected over the years, approx. 6/7 massive photo albums

Just wanted to know if any of you shipped your photographs with other goods in the container/or by air, and did they reach safely. Personally I would prefer hand carrying them but it would add up to the weight.

Cheers!
Sarah
I brought about 10 large albums; they all travelled by sea, inside plastic bags and then inside a box, No ill-effects at all. You could get some of those cheapy plastic storage boxes (the sort of thing Aussies seem to like as chests of drawers) and use them for extra protection.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I brought about 10 large albums; they all travelled by sea, inside plastic bags and then inside a box, No ill-effects at all. You could get some of those cheapy plastic storage boxes (the sort of thing Aussies seem to like as chests of drawers) and use them for extra protection.
Thanks Pollyana, using a plastic storage box is a good idea.

Now I look forward to my next visit to the shopping mall to browse the plastic section for a suitable box. Guess I am a true Aussie then as I always tend to be drawn towards the plastic sections during my visits to shopping malls, and am even nicknamed the "plastic collector" at home
Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Great idea - have spent about 1 week putting all our photos in albums - approx 2000 photos in all. Will go out & start looking for a plastic container to put them all in. Anything else need to go into plastic containers?

Thanks
pockygoes
Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pockygoes
Great idea - have spent about 1 week putting all our photos in albums - approx 2000 photos in all. Will go out & start looking for a plastic container to put them all in. Anything else need to go into plastic containers?

Thanks
pockygoes
I spent a large amount of money in Boots before I left, as I love their Natural Collection stuff - bought a couple of plastic crates for those too, so that if anything leaked it stayed in the one place!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I spent a large amount of money in Boots before I left, as I love their Natural Collection stuff - bought a couple of plastic crates for those too, so that if anything leaked it stayed in the one place!
Oh Yes toiletries - now you are talking - although hubbie has warned me that we have got to use all the ones we have hanging around in cupboards before we buy anymore - having lots of wonderful bubble baths & face masks at the mo!!!!

I love the Botanics range from boots - so will put that on my list!!
Do they have frizz ease hair products in Oz - or an acceptable alternative - cannot envisage my hair without the stuff!!!

cheers

Pockygoes
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Sarah
One thing you could do is go through the albums before packing, and remove the best photos if you don't want to take the risk of shipping them.

Although if you are bringing items of sentimental value, it's probably best to keep them with your hand luggage and don't let them out of your sight for a moment. Checked baggage has its own risks of going astray.

Another option is to scan lots of them and carry a CD or two.

Jeremy
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I kept all the negatives in a separate box and a friend sent them over when we had an address. I decided to store the negatives at another house too when we arrived just in case of fire. There are some I have no negatives of and I would love to find a little fire-proof box to store them in. Maybe someone could market that idea.

Queenie

Cheers!
Sarah
Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I shipped mine from Sing to Aus ( very humid) , just put them in a box.. no special wrappings, and they were all fine - negatives another matter, I think most of my negatives have patches on them, but that I think was done over the years in Sing with it's humidity. Putting them onto CD is a very good idea - not an easy task if you're anything like me and have tons of photo's. I'm still going through mine to this day scanning them to put on CD's ( just in case of a house fire etc) . Thank gawd for digital cameras now

cheers
Old Sep 21st 2004, 4:49 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pockygoes
Oh Yes toiletries - now you are talking - although hubbie has warned me that we have got to use all the ones we have hanging around in cupboards before we buy anymore - having lots of wonderful bubble baths & face masks at the mo!!!!

I love the Botanics range from boots - so will put that on my list!!
Do they have frizz ease hair products in Oz - or an acceptable alternative - cannot envisage my hair without the stuff!!!

cheers

Pockygoes

There is frizz ease at about $19 for a product

Jo