Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping photo's & sentimental stuff ??

Shipping photo's & sentimental stuff ??

Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to all
Default Shipping photo's & sentimental stuff ??

I'm busy sorting through all out 'paper work', mainly sentimental stuff like kids drawings, photo's, old cards etc ready for when we eventually leave.
I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to package it for the shippers. I would be gutted if it got wet, ruined etc.

I have thought about those big A3 size plastic wallets with the zips on, but not sure what their technical name is to do a search on ebay?

Any ideas anyone ??
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping photo's & sentimental stuff ??

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich
I'm busy sorting through all out 'paper work', mainly sentimental stuff like kids drawings, photo's, old cards etc ready for when we eventually leave.
I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to package it for the shippers. I would be gutted if it got wet, ruined etc.

I have thought about those big A3 size plastic wallets with the zips on, but not sure what their technical name is to do a search on ebay?

Any ideas anyone ??
Just a thought, you will need to make sure that your kids pictures haven't got , dried flowers, seeds, dried pasta etc glued on them as they are aren't allowed .
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:48 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i have put mine in plastic wallets and then wrapped them in binbags, (as advised by removal company, not sure why) then i have placed them all in a small suitcase, (which might i add will be stuffed to the hilt of sentimental things). The removal company said they were happy to take the items this way.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

I know the sort of thing you are talking about.
I have got an A5 one we use for keeping passports & tickets in on holiday.
I've just got it out of the drawer and it's a Snopake Zippa Bag S (not sure how important the S is!).
An alternative might be a Polyfile (also made by Snopake) but they don't zip.

Must stop now before I sound too geeky about stationery!!

Happy hunting
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:36 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I wrapped important stuff in bin bags - helps keep out any moisture, also try to get your hands on some silica gel to throw in each box to absorb any excessmoisture.

Use a good shiupping company.

I shipped lots of expensive and/or personal stuff including a Les Paul guitar, art work, photos, albums etc. My boxes arrived and they looked exactly as I had left them, no water damage, no dents or marks etc - nothing was broken, even fragile stuff like mirrors and my precious guitar...

We used seven seas worldwide who were great
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

There are only two clear categories that exist here,

1) Stuff I don't care about if it's lost (i.e TV, Sofa, clothes , books etc)

2) Stuff of irreplacable sentimental value.

We placed approx 5 kg of photo's, documents, high sentimental value in a small suitcase and carried it on the flight with us.

The rest of the stuff went marine.......
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:48 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich

Any ideas anyone ??
When i packed that type of goods i used Ziploc freezer bags.They are thick plastic gallon size and double zip lock
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

if you have a scanner you could scan anything ireplaceable eg photos - so you have a back up if anything goes wrong in shipping. bit timeconsuming tho...