Reload this Page >

Shipping packing advice

Shipping packing advice

Old Jul 9th 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

atlantatoaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping packing advice

Hi
We plan to ship 2 boxes of books and some kitchen utensils to australia. we are doing the packing our self I have just put the books into plastic bags so that they dont get moist and I plan to do the same for the utensils ,bubble wrap crockery etc.I plan to put in some sachets of silica gel into the boxex
Are there any quarantine concerns here?Any thing I need to do in particular.
Thanks
Regards
subu
Old Jul 9th 2005, 10:30 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping packing advice

Originally Posted by atlantatoaus
Hi
We plan to ship 2 boxes of books and some kitchen utensils to australia. we are doing the packing our self I have just put the books into plastic bags so that they dont get moist and I plan to do the same for the utensils ,bubble wrap crockery etc.I plan to put in some sachets of silica gel into the boxex
Thanks
Regards
subu
Just make sure the sachets ,contain S/GEL and not any other ilicit powder AQIS do check them now and again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mm
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

jellycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks
Regards
subu

We were told not to put anything into plastic bags/ bin bags because of the risk of mould!! Maybe the 'silica' will stop this problem. I envy you having so little, we have mountains, maybe the whole of the Himalayas!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We were told to put tea bags in freezers or fridges by packers as this stopped mould. So I would assume it would work in other stuff and safer/cheaper. Arrived no mould so it works
Jo
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:37 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
We were told to put tea bags in freezers or fridges by packers as this stopped mould. So I would assume it would work in other stuff and safer/cheaper. Arrived no mould so it works
Jo

we were told not to take fridges and freezers..... as the appliances would not cope with heat..... washers, dryers, dishwashers and microwave are fine tho

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=fridges

boom

Last edited by Boomie; Jul 9th 2005 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We only took our freezers and not the fridge cause it was old. Not sure how it will cope in the summer as Havent been here for one yet so will have to see. Only using one freezer anyway the other is still switched off in garage as when we got here we bought a large fridge freezer.

Jo
Old Jul 10th 2005, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

atlantatoaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
We only took our freezers and not the fridge cause it was old. Not sure how it will cope in the summer as Havent been here for one yet so will have to see. Only using one freezer anyway the other is still switched off in garage as when we got here we bought a large fridge freezer.

Jo
Thanks for your replies.Been a lot of help.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 2:37 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.Been a lot of help.
Yeah - do not wrap anything in polythene or plastic bags - it WILL get mouldy

At sea for 5/6 weeks +40 to 0 degrees as it goes through the regions - you'll just have a nice collection of flaura and fauna for Aqis to execute,.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 3:20 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Yeah - do not wrap anything in polythene or plastic bags - it WILL get mouldy

At sea for 5/6 weeks +40 to 0 degrees as it goes through the regions - you'll just have a nice collection of flaura and fauna for Aqis to execute,.
WE average 5 containers a month from the UK . We see very little mould problems if things are not damp, when they are wrapped or packed they don,t get mouldy, in fact it pays to wrap books and photo albums in plastic or zip lock bags , as it doe,s not take much for a careless stevedore [wharfie] to punch a hole in the top of a container , after a few hours in a southern ocean rainstorm ,the container contents are not a pretty sight. i know i have seen the results , and had to sort through ,with a very distraught client & insurance agent trying to salvage personal effects...... mm