Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

Old May 25th 2013, 11:43 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping packed by company and packed by owner help

Look at the contracts you signed with both the shipper and the insurance company. If your contract states that you have requested and paid for a full packing service, and you have proof (is an inventory) that the packers did not do this, then take it up with them. They need to rectify this by either repacking everything or reimbursing you some costs.

With the insurance company, speak to them to ask if they can make amendments to your policy.

You say you have paid over the odds, but how do you know that? The insurers will insure based on the information you supply them with. If you have under/over estimated the value of your items, that isn't the fault of the insurers. That is why you need to speak to them ASAP to get clarity on what is insured and what can be amended.
Old May 26th 2013, 12:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
what do you mean insurance showed?
On my insurance it has an area for packer which I filled out as self and removals, and paid insurance on that. That was the basis for the insurance and is shown in the policy documents
Old May 26th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by rasen78
Look at the contracts you signed with both the shipper and the insurance company. If your contract states that you have requested and paid for a full packing service, and you have proof (is an inventory) that the packers did not do this, then take it up with them. They need to rectify this by either repacking everything or reimbursing you some costs.

With the insurance company, speak to them to ask if they can make amendments to your policy.

You say you have paid over the odds, but how do you know that? The insurers will insure based on the information you supply them with. If you have under/over estimated the value of your items, that isn't the fault of the insurers. That is why you need to speak to them ASAP to get clarity on what is insured and what can be amended.
I cant get them to repack as the container is already away sails on monday,also i was quoted for a certain cubic feet and according to the forman on the day he said i was over this,but said we just keep it at that and say nothing which was cool by me,so on one hand i could moan to the shipping company about most of my items not being packed by them but they could also then say i was over if they guys who packed got a ticking off.
When i say i paid over the odds,i did not just insure all big value items etc but many smaller items so really covered pretty much all my stuff.

How can amendments to your policy be done is there not rules,t&c's etc when taking out insurance and im sure one of them being packed by owner,they are not going to say yes ok the items you packed yourself are covered as it was not the company that did them.
The guys did a great job and packed well on the items that needed wrapped and packed but to me just got lazy or thought no need to repack flat packed items and items already in boxes.
If they had been coming to my house and packed from there then yes they probably would have packed everything the right way,but it was all put i storage before then came.
I did not even know what they was writing on boxes till i asked what was pbo and by then they days where up and they was almost done.

Also on the aqis forms i signed previous to the packers coming does the company use them or go by the list the packers made as i listed some wooden items and i asked the shippers if they came accross them and they said no so did not list them,i just wonder if customs now will want to try and find these wooden items hidden among the tons of boxes in the 40ft container.

You can probably tell im a worry a lot but i have paid a lot of money on both shipping and insurance and feel i have not got what i paid for to be honest,i left them too it thinking they know best,i even said look i have some items still flat packed from new,that i not even checked myself yet to see if ok,they said its ok,but then decided to check them cause i said insurance etc,As i thought as they was moving doing the whole shipment they would be responsible for all and it would come back on them
Old May 26th 2013, 12:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I cant get them to repack as the container is already away sails on monday,also i was quoted for a certain cubic feet and according to the forman on the day he said i was over this,but said we just keep it at that and say nothing which was cool by me,so on one hand i could moan to the shipping company about most of my items not being packed by them but they could also then say i was over if they guys who packed got a ticking off.
When i say i paid over the odds,i did not just insure all big value items etc but many smaller items so really covered pretty much all my stuff.

How can amendments to your policy be done is there not rules,t&c's etc when taking out insurance and im sure one of them being packed by owner,they are not going to say yes ok the items you packed yourself are covered as it was not the company that did them.
The guys did a great job and packed well on the items that needed wrapped and packed but to me just got lazy or thought no need to repack flat packed items and items already in boxes.
If they had been coming to my house and packed from there then yes they probably would have packed everything the right way,but it was all put i storage before then came.
I did not even know what they was writing on boxes till i asked what was pbo and by then they days where up and they was almost done.

Also on the aqis forms i signed previous to the packers coming does the company use them or go by the list the packers made as i listed some wooden items and i asked the shippers if they came accross them and they said no so did not list them,i just wonder if customs now will want to try and find these wooden items hidden among the tons of boxes in the 40ft container.

You can probably tell im a worry a lot but i have paid a lot of money on both shipping and insurance and feel i have not got what i paid for to be honest,i left them too it thinking they know best,i even said look i have some items still flat packed from new,that i not even checked myself yet to see if ok,they said its ok,but then decided to check them cause i said insurance etc,As i thought as they was moving doing the whole shipment they would be responsible for all and it would come back on them
Is your insurance with your removals company?
Old May 26th 2013, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Is your insurance with your removals company?
no insure your move
Old May 26th 2013, 12:41 am

no insure your move
and did you say that everything was being packed by removals company, or yourself, or both?
Old May 26th 2013, 12:50 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, read your contracts. They will have the information you need. You won't know if you can make amendments unless you ask them. We can only give you advice, based on our own experiences. What you choose to do with that advice is up to you.

If I were in your shoes, I would be on the phone to both the shippers and the insurance company. Regardless of when the container leaves, if the shippers have not done as per the contract, they are in breach of said contract and should make all effort to rectify it. I would rather be without my stuff for a while longer, knowing that it was safe etc, than get it on time but spend weeks worrying if it is ok.

As for the insurance, I really don't understand why you think you have paid over the odds. If you have given them the details of your belongings, then they will insure for those, regardless of whether they are big ticket items or small bits. All of our items were insured, from an expensive painting down to the kids toys, because we supplied the information based on the value of said items. Again, you need to speak to them regarding the items not packed by the insurers. We do not have your T&Cs so can only speak in general terms, but most insurers will allow amendments to policies. But you have to speak to them to find out.
Old May 26th 2013, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rasen78
As I said, read your contracts. They will have the information you need. You won't know if you can make amendments unless you ask them. We can only give you advice, based on our own experiences. What you choose to do with that advice is up to you.

If I were in your shoes, I would be on the phone to both the shippers and the insurance company. Regardless of when the container leaves, if the shippers have not done as per the contract, they are in breach of said contract and should make all effort to rectify it. I would rather be without my stuff for a while longer, knowing that it was safe etc, than get it on time but spend weeks worrying if it is ok.

As for the insurance, I really don't understand why you think you have paid over the odds. If you have given them the details of your belongings, then they will insure for those, regardless of whether they are big ticket items or small bits. All of our items were insured, from an expensive painting down to the kids toys, because we supplied the information based on the value of said items. Again, you need to speak to them regarding the items not packed by the insurers. We do not have your T&Cs so can only speak in general terms, but most insurers will allow amendments to policies. But you have to speak to them to find out.
what do you mean be without you stuff for a bit longer,if its packed and about to sail on boat i would say im way too late and i also leave in 4 days.
Old May 26th 2013, 1:26 am

what do you mean be without you stuff for a bit longer,if its packed and about to sail on boat i would say im way too late and i also leave in 4 days.
If you tell them you are not happy they can re-open the container and re-pack those boxes you are worried about, but it will miss this sailing, and you'll have to wait for the next available. Personally, the flat pack furniture should be fine, since it's probably already been shipped around the world once like that - you would need to check with your insurers if you are covered if still in orignal packing.

As for the other PBO's - if you have fragile items then you may want to get it re-packed, but if it's books, DVD's, etc and you packed them well - well those were the boxes I packed and they arrived okay.

At the end of the day, if you believe there is nothing you can do then you need to do that - nothing and stop worrying. If you can't stop worrying about it then you should do something - but if you are not prepared to do anything then accept it as it is (if that makes sense ??? )
Old May 26th 2013, 10:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

and still not a bloody thankyou to be found!!!!
Old May 26th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thank all and sorry im not able to reply much but im so busy trying to deal with things here before i go as im away 4 days from now and just up to my neck deep doing stuff i will contact the insurance see what they say
Old May 27th 2013, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Singapore there were lots of stories of stuff that melted en route because the container wasn't refrigerated.

Do you know if yours is?
Old May 27th 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
When I lived in Singapore there were lots of stories of stuff that melted en route because the container wasn't refrigerated.

Do you know if yours is?
Seriously,don't stress him anymore.
Old May 27th 2013, 10:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3

Do you know if yours is?
I can picture you smirking now C, that's certainly made me smile
Old May 27th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Moi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.