Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping over Stamp Collection (my sad secret is now out!)

Shipping over Stamp Collection (my sad secret is now out!)

Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice
Default Shipping over Stamp Collection (my sad secret is now out!)

We have the shippers (Crown) coming in a few weeks and wondered what people did with their stamp collection - assuming i'm not the one with this dilemma? The very nice lady at crown wasn't sure. She suggested mould and mildew cover, and the insurance states it needs to be specified but apart from that their brochure recommends taking over with you via air. I have 5 heavy ring binders full and don't want to eat into my baggage allowance with these.

Just concerned about damage from extreme heat/cold or moisture - not sure if its a problem or not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
KAREN
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:44 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping over Stamp Collection (my sad secret is now out!)

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
We have the shippers (Crown) coming in a few weeks and wondered what people did with their stamp collection - assuming i'm not the one with this dilemma? The very nice lady at crown wasn't sure. She suggested mould and mildew cover, and the insurance states it needs to be specified but apart from that their brochure recommends taking over with you via air. I have 5 heavy ring binders full and don't want to eat into my baggage allowance with these.

Just concerned about damage from extreme heat/cold or moisture - not sure if its a problem or not?

Thanks
KAREN

Wrapped mine in a clear plastic bag and all arrived with no probs.

Didn't bother insuring them or drawing attention to them i.e didn't label as seperate.

I fathomed no one was a sad knacker like me so they'd be safe
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
KAREN
You could always post them.. must have enough stamps

They would probably be ok in plastic bag, could always put a little silica gel sachet in there just in case.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:49 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
You could always post them.. must have enough stamps

Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Why did you admit to this on here? Even though I find it very interesting, Oh Man I can see some ribbing coming on

Why dont you post them to yourself? the day before you fly pack them up really nice take out insurance put loads of fragile keep your mits off signs on the box and send it, that might be safer?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you ring whatsit in London - you know the stamp people and ask them. Can't remember the name, just used to walk past on my way to work for a few months
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:22 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Why don't you ring whatsit in London - you know the stamp people and ask them. Can't remember the name, just used to walk past on my way to work for a few months
very helpful moneypen!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
very helpful moneypen!
It'll come to me in the middle of the night

OK just had to google - Stanley Gibbons.

Stanley Gibbons, 399 Strand, London WC2R 0LX, ENGLAND
Telephone: 020 7836 8444
Fax: 020 7836 7342

Stanley Gibbons, 7 Parkside, Ringwood, Hampshire BH24 3SH, ENGLAND
Telephone: 01425 47 23 63
Fax: 01425 47 02 47

Will sleep well tonight!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Sep 11th 2007 at 9:41 am.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:43 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I'm also taking something fragile (and nerdy). The packing company are making me a special crate.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Oh you need to confess to your nerdy item now - its only far!

I'm not worried about the ribbing, its part of stamp collecting, can't expect to have a geeky hobby and not be ribbed. Good call on Stanley Gibbons - though they'd charge a fortune and misquote. btw, I hate that shop, such inverted snobbery going on. As for posting it, do you really think I'd trust the postal system, I buy into the stamps not the service!

Thanks for the replies. I'll ponder a while more....

KAREN
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:29 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Karen,

I'd also check with "Interparcel" how much it would cost to send it buy courier (i.e. courier it to yourself in Oz).

Gina
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:52 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you need to confess to your nerdy item now - its only far!

I'm not worried about the ribbing, its part of stamp collecting, can't expect to have a geeky hobby and not be ribbed. Good call on Stanley Gibbons - though they'd charge a fortune and misquote. btw, I hate that shop, such inverted snobbery going on. As for posting it, do you really think I'd trust the postal system, I buy into the stamps not the service!

Thanks for the replies. I'll ponder a while more....

KAREN
OH's first day covers joined the rest of the stuff in Granny's attic
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a bit concerned about shipping my jewellery. I have quite a bit which I inherited. It's not worth a fortune but has sentimental value. I can't decide if it is safer to take it as hand luggage, in the main luggage or to put it in the container. Each method has it's own risks!

Anyone done this??
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:58 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gotooz1
I'm a bit concerned about shipping my jewellery. I have quite a bit which I inherited. It's not worth a fortune but has sentimental value. I can't decide if it is safer to take it as hand luggage, in the main luggage or to put it in the container. Each method has it's own risks!

Anyone done this??
I'm carrying mine.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Now, I'm being a bit cheeky here as I don't have a clue about your stamps but whilst we are on the topic of stamps, I've a question for you -
I have a Album of First Day Covers and have no interest in them at all, they were my father's and I definitely would not want to take them to Oz. I have looked on Ebay with regards to selling them and noticed they don't go for much, is there any better place to sell them or would the car boot sale be just as good?
Sorry to butt in.
Sammy

PS Could the stamps go in your hand luggage, or are there too many?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.