Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping (NZ-Oz)

Shipping (NZ-Oz)

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:10 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping (NZ-Oz)

Any recommendations?

What did you pay?

Anyone know of a cheaper marine insurer than the shipping companies use (I used Letton Percival UK-NZ)?

Getting close now ...
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping (NZ-Oz)

This is a question I would like to know too. My DH has been offered a job with part of relocation paid but only $5k. I dont think it will be able to be done for that so really want to know how much we will have to put towards it.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:19 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I used Grace from Chch - brisbane, can't remember how much but they were great.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Any recommendations?

What did you pay?

Anyone know of a cheaper marine insurer than the shipping companies use (I used Letton Percival UK-NZ)?

Getting close now ...
I can't give any recommendations but can advise you on who to avoid.

Avoid AUSMOVE in NZ and Wridgways in Oz as they steal your stuff especially this close to Christmas. I guess they treat other people's stuff like an Xmas bonus. I got the employer to pay for the location so I didn't shop around for costs but paid about $1500 (and got about another $3000 stolen). The worst thing was that they refused to pay full compensation.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:07 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you- I'll avoid them

Crown have quoted $7,130 for a 20 footer from Hawkes Bay to NSW.

Allied Pickfords have said they are snowed under and can't do it until next year!

Have contacted Grace Movers and Aliied Movers also.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:41 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We have used awaytomove.co.nz and self packed.

An empty 20ft container was dropped outside our home and left for up to a week whilst we packed and filled it. It was then collected, shipped and is currently in Brisbane port (2 weeks) waiting to go through customs. Once its been inspected it will be delivered to our new address where we will have up to a week to empty it. Cost $5500 NZD Its was 5 weeks on Friday and we were told allow up to 6 weeks, so any day now.

We are currently sleeping on an airbed and sitting on a couple of campchairs, so waiting its arrival!

We spent about $200 on giant rolls of bubblewrap, cardboard, butchers paper and packing tape.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

We used Allied movers from ChCh to Brisbane, I think it was $6K door to door.

Were are you moving to?

Ian
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:41 am
---

Only to Newcastle, 2 hours north of Sydney.

Spellbound- what did you do RE insurance?

Crown won't quote me for self pack.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:17 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We haven't got any insurance. We packed it ourselves, so cant really blame anyone, other than us, if anything gets broken or damaged.

We paid quite a bit insurance from the UK to NZ a few years ago and never claimed. We also put down lower prices on items to keep the insurance cheaper, so if we had have claimed we wouldn't really have got the same back, so we decided not to bother this time.

The worst that could happen would be for the ship to sink or the container to fall oversea and we didn't think that would be a possibility. Actually now we are here in Aus, waiting for our container to arrive, we can see how easy it is to start from scratch all over again (with us both working) it wouldn't be ideal and heartbreaking, but it could be done. Its amazing what we have amassed already in the five weeks we have been here and believe me we came over on a shoestring budget! Luckily we are both working and found work straight away.

Our cheapest quote for door to door with packing etc was $7000 this was from Auckland to Brisbane.

Last edited by Spellbound; Nov 24th 2008 at 10:22 am. Reason: Spelling!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Wannabe_Sheila will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking of just taking the 'sentimental' stuff and starting again when we get to NZ. We don't have much in the way of furniture anyway (less is more mentality) so would be stupid to pay thousands of $$ to ship across the water (NZ-Oz). Just thinking of taking my kids toys and their personal belongings/trinkets and our trinkets and my Uni stuff.

We were recently in Oz for a recce/holiday and saw how easy and cheap it is to replace our stuff, so this may be the viable option - especially considering we will need quite a bit of stuff to tide us over until the container arrives anyway.