Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping my car from UK to Perth

Shipping my car from UK to Perth

Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:28 am
Just Joined

L e e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping my car from UK to Perth

Hi, i'm considering shipping my 4x4 to Perth in June '12.

This is because i want to do a lot of 4x4'ing over there, but the costs of second hand cars (especially 4x4's) are so high that i'm wondering if it's worth shipping mine over.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

I've looked online and it looks like the shipping costs would be around 1200 pounds, but i'm unaware of how much the import tax, customs clearance and general jumping through hoops would cost before i get to have it back and start driving it.

I'll also be on WH visa, so i expect that will cause an issue too. I know that you can bring a car in temporarily on a vehicle carnet and have the taxes refunded when you ship it back out, but i'd probably like to sell it there when i leave if possible.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of what the total cost would be to get it over there, then let me know.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 11:51 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping my car from UK to Perth

Originally Posted by L e e
Hi, i'm considering shipping my 4x4 to Perth in June '12.

This is because i want to do a lot of 4x4'ing over there, but the costs of second hand cars (especially 4x4's) are so high that i'm wondering if it's worth shipping mine over.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

I've looked online and it looks like the shipping costs would be around 1200 pounds, but i'm unaware of how much the import tax, customs clearance and general jumping through hoops would cost before i get to have it back and start driving it.

I'll also be on WH visa, so i expect that will cause an issue too. I know that you can bring a car in temporarily on a vehicle carnet and have the taxes refunded when you ship it back out, but i'd probably like to sell it there when i leave if possible.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of what the total cost would be to get it over there, then let me know.

Cheers.
Hi mate

check out the search function fora post by (I think) 'Bigape' he wrote a very detailed post.
cheers.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets get one thing clear for a start, you need to have a 457 visa to take it over on anything other than the temporary carnet.

My car lands in Fremantle in 10 days.. I'd do it all over again if I needed too!!

There is a hell of a lot of messing around to do and lots of paperwork, but an agent will help you through most of it. Also the costs are quite high once it lands but it all depends how much you want that car here and if you have cash sitting to spend on getting it over.

Once you have possession of it after being released from customs etc all thats needed is an MOT kind of test and to pay your rego and thats it!! You can legally drive it to these test centres also
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Do you also have to have owned the vehicle for over 12 months aswell?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Kenzi is an unknown quantity at this point

I hadnt owned it the 12 months when I applied, but I have now (Bought it on 21/12/10)

I started the proccess in August. They let this rule slide with me, assuming because I had supplied every bit of documentation possible to them, or maybe because I will have owned it 12 months by the time its here.

It was someone from the Dept Of Infastructure who told me to apply for it anyway and it worked!!