Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping my cameras. Any Ideas?

Shipping my cameras. Any Ideas?

Old May 2nd 2004, 10:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping my cameras. Any Ideas?

Hi all
I now have to get round to sorting out the logistics of moving to Australia although I do not yet have a date in mind.

I have a number of questions to ask but will do them in stages.

I have a lot of expensive photographic equipment which is fragile and susceptible to extreme conditions.It can suffer from condensation and will not stand heavy handling. I do not want to sell it because some of my lenses are irreplaceable.

Tripods etc. can be shipped with our furniture etc. but what about cameras and lenses? They are too heavy for hand luggage and too delicate to go in the hold.
I am going over in June so could take some and leave it with my son and then take the rest later. I will still struggle though.

Has anyone any experience of this or any ideas.
I would be grateful for any advice.

Best wishes

G
Old May 2nd 2004, 10:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I would speak to the airline as cameras are sometimes treated as special cases for hand luggage. ie you can have hand luggage and a camera. Hand luggage and a ton of camera equipment maybe different. Another option maybe to fly business class where you get extra allowances. Anyhow get saving packs of silica gel but I guess you knew about that.
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I would speak to the airline as cameras are sometimes treated as special cases for hand luggage. ie you can have hand luggage and a camera. Hand luggage and a ton of camera equipment maybe different. Another option maybe to fly business class where you get extra allowances. Anyhow get saving packs of silica gel but I guess you knew about that.
Thanks BP.
I know about Silica gel. I've got loads of it. It is more the weight and bulk I am bothered about.
Is there a way of having them sent seperately from the bulk of our household items. Cost is not an issue in this case.

Best wishes

G
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:02 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I agree with this - I remember being in the check in queue for a European flight a couple of years ago and the person in front was confirming that the extra carry on luggage was some sort of special microscope (or something like that!) Was a fair sized box too, and looked like it was pretty heavy.
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Thanks BP.
I know about Silica gel. I've got loads of it. It is more the weight and bulk I am bothered about.
Is there a way of having them sent seperately from the bulk of our household items. Cost is not an issue in this case.

Best wishes

G
There are excess baggage shipping companies that will fly luggage for a price lower than the airlines excess baggage charges. I am not too sure about the cost or the treatment of fragile items. Another option is courierring the kit. On the customs slip just make a not that it is all over a year old.

Personally I would rather carry that equipment and speak to the airlines.
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:28 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

There are excess baggage shipping companies that will fly luggage for a price lower than the airlines excess baggage charges. I am not too sure about the cost or the treatment of fragile items. Another option is courierring the kit. On the customs slip just make a not that it is all over a year old.

Personally I would rather carry that equipment and speak to the airlines.

I recently got a quote from these two companies if you wanted a look.

http://www.excess-baggage.com
http://www.cargobookers.co.uk