British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping Mountain Bike (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-mountain-bike-485896/)

joncoll90 Oct 7th 2007 9:45 pm

Shipping Mountain Bike

Hey guys,
Anyone got any ideas on the best/cheapest way of getting my beloved muntain bike to Australia? I'm not worried about how long it will take so via sea will be fine.

Thanks in advance
Jon
3 weeks and counting..... :)

alipally Oct 7th 2007 10:23 pm

Re: Shipping Mountain Bike

Take it with you as excess baggage!
Very simple, let them know you want to take a bike and turn up with it at check in! Short haul charge aroudn £30.00 for bikes!
Make sure it's spotlessly clean though,(I mean steam cleaned and disinfected!) otherwise you'll be paying for decontamination cleaning in Australia!

Good luck with your move!

joncoll90 Oct 7th 2007 10:27 pm

Thats not a bad idea, the only thing is, I'm going to India for a month before getting to Oz. I don't really fancy lugging it around with me in India.

But my folks are coming over some time in the new year - maybe they could bring it with them!! I'm sure they'll love that!

Thanks for the tip! - £30 is a hellava lot cheaper than the £1200 TNT quoted me! :)

alipally Oct 8th 2007 7:20 am

It will probably be more expensive for the long haul flight, that's just what Thomson charge to take bikes to Europe... but, yes, it's definitely cheaper than £1200!!!
(cheeky wotsits aren't they!)
:)

stdanjo Oct 8th 2007 8:12 am

hey,

maybe check out sevenseas, they ship small amount pretty cheaply, the trade off it takes about 10 weeks, but if you're travelling first then may not be too bad.

sevenseasworldwidebaggage or something similar.

Dan

youngy73 Oct 8th 2007 8:22 am

Originally Posted by joncoll90 (Post 5398938)
Hey guys,
Anyone got any ideas on the best/cheapest way of getting my beloved muntain bike to Australia? I'm not worried about how long it will take so via sea will be fine.

Thanks in advance
Jon

a lot of airlines used to allow sporting goods free of charge. brought mine over and didnt get charged. it was a few years ago though

Ted Logan Oct 8th 2007 8:24 am

Be careful though as there have been cases of bikes being damaged as they get chucked into the plane.

Sooty and Sweep Oct 8th 2007 8:32 am

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/index.aspx

Economy (Sea) A consignment sent overseas using the Economy Method is dispatch by sea. Your consignment is packed into a maritime container which is sealed and placed on a container ship. The Transit Time is longer than an Express Service, measure in weeks rather than days, however, it is the most competitively priced.

Door-To-Door Service The "Door – to – Door” service takes a consignment from the door of the building at the collection address to the door of the building at the destination address. The consignment will have been cleared through the Customs Authorities” and the relevant Environmental Agencies. Seven Seas provides Important Documentation for you to complete and allow Seven Seas to clear your consignment. Seven Seas is unable to provide in-depth advise on specific Customs issues including duty and excise on items that you may be sending but we will assist you in contacting the correct authorities.

Transit Time - 9 Weeks

Min. Carton Order - 1

First Carton(s) Tea Chest - £89.00

Tea Chest Thereafter - £45.00

Max. Weight - 40kgs

alipally Oct 8th 2007 8:46 am

Ours have never been damaged when we've taken it on hols with us, but I guess it happens sometimes... just like lost luggage and damaged cases!

LauraC Oct 8th 2007 10:08 am

I was quoted around £280-300 to fly my mountain bike to Aus with Excess Baggage, that includes a box to put it in and door to door delivery. I'm putting it in a container with the rest of my stuff now though.

Excess Baggage do send things out by ship too so that would a lot cheaper than by air.

djamesburgess Oct 8th 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by joncoll90 (Post 5398938)
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance
Jon

My hybrid bike is en route with PSS at this moment. It's cost £210 with the insurance levy of 5% of the value of the contents of the shipment.

It's a door-to-door service and should be here at the end of October. Turn around time has been about 8 weeks from my mate packing it for me in the UK, to being collected from the Midlands, driven the port and embarked.

PSS get good reviews for shipping on this website so I'm pretty confident it will arrive in once piece.