British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shipping motorcycle to Australia Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shipping-motorcycle-australia-question-355297/)

Rus Coit Feb 15th 2006 2:29 pm

Shipping motorcycle to Australia Question

Hi All,

Anyone know if it is possible to ship a road motorbike to Australia if you have owned the bike for less than 12 months?

Cheers

chopper boy Feb 15th 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Shipping motorcycle to Australia Question

Originally Posted by Rus Coit
Hi All,

Anyone know if it is possible to ship a road motorbike to Australia if you have owned the bike for less than 12 months?

Cheers

I've looked into it and it looks to me as being a very big NO!!!!!

Check out the Oz customs site for more advice.

Cheers'en. :beer:

Sleeping Beauty Feb 15th 2006 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Rus Coit
Hi All,

Cheers

what difference does it make on how long you have had the bike for? :confused:

hubbie has just passed his bike test and is itching to go out and buy a bike. ive told him to wait until we get to australia, but he said he could buy one and we could dhip when our time came. this info might put a spanner in his works!!!! he he he :D :D :D

stevenpoole9 Feb 15th 2006 7:11 pm

It's too much hassle to ship any vehicle over to Australia unless it's very valueble or you've got so much money that it doesn't matter to you.
Virtually any bike you can buy in the Uk is available in Oz, plus some rather tasty Jap imports (Grey imports as we know them).
I've recently spotted a 2 year old Triumph Speed Triple (T 595) with all the bits, in black for A$ 8000, that's around 3 1/2 grand.

adriang Feb 15th 2006 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
It's too much hassle to ship any vehicle over to Australia unless it's very valueble or you've got so much money that it doesn't matter to you.
Virtually any bike you can buy in the Uk is available in Oz, plus some rather tasty Jap imports (Grey imports as we know them).
I've recently spotted a 2 year old Triumph Speed Triple (T 595) with all the bits, in black for A$ 8000, that's around 3 1/2 grand.

Despite the fact I'm shipping 3 personally, I'd have to agree with this. I bought a couple of second hand bike trader magazines when I was in Australia last time. Second hand costs are what I'd call fair rather than brilliant, but coupled with shipping costs, and the hastle factor..Probably easier to buy over there. Certainly not in the truimph, but one thing I've seen, and also been told, is that there are loads of 1970's bikes, especially Italian ones.

helen/andy Feb 15th 2006 8:34 pm

:beer: it is bloody painfull ive had my bike 5 years so it should be easy but firstly i need to find out if it meets australian compliance,ie there safety standards but can i buggery get any of the official government sites to tell me how to do it and times tickin by ,weve sold our house and are headin to sunshine coast in june bloody bikeless by the looks of things.

adriang Feb 16th 2006 6:35 am

Originally Posted by helen/andy
:beer: it is bloody painfull ive had my bike 5 years so it should be easy but firstly i need to find out if it meets australian compliance,ie there safety standards but can i buggery get any of the official government sites to tell me how to do it and times tickin by ,weve sold our house and are headin to sunshine coast in june bloody bikeless by the looks of things.

If you really want to bring it, I'd do just that. I've a 5 yr old Ducati, and sensibly I should sell it, and get a new one in Australia. But the bike is my pride and joy, and I'm keeping it and I'm shipping it. (I even kept the packing case so I can be buried in it).

If the vehicle is less than 15 years old, you can bring it in on a personal import. (I'm not sure abou the 12 months thing). It really is a 2 staged approach. Get it in, and then get it registered. I've had some contact with a few people in Queenland, and I've been told that the registration/inspection is less stringent than a UK MOT. The only thing I've been told that is different is that all motorcycles have to have a mirror on the right hand side. (Chopper boy..not sure if this effects you. I'm pretty miffed about my scoots, but I'm taking them!).

Also, I've found that the Dotars gov agency responded within a couple of days to my emails.

rossifumi Feb 16th 2006 7:19 am

Originally Posted by adriang
I even kept the packing case so I can be buried in it.

I used to own a Duke *SNIFF* I know what you mean. :(

stevenpoole9 Feb 16th 2006 8:31 pm

I saw lots of 70's bikes in the Brissie area, mainly Z1000's, GS 1000's and one Laverda Jota, beautiful thing it was too. The thing is, they don't rust (lots of faded paint though!) Lots of hardley Davidsons as well. not something I'd have in the UK, but they make perfect sense here. You'll still have your chin on the floor though when someone on a Fireplace comes past you at 100 KPH wearing shorts, flip-flops (thongs) and a smile. Have they never seen gravel rash?
Sleeping Beauty, it makes a difference in so far that you have to pay 10% GST (tax) on anything under 12 months old that you import (I think that's about right) On a 6000 GBP bike that could be up to A$1500.

Sleeping Beauty Feb 16th 2006 8:57 pm

Sleeping Beauty, it makes a difference in so far that you have to pay 10% GST (tax) on anything under 12 months old that you import (I think that's about right) On a 6000 GBP bike that could be up to A$1500.[/QUOTE]

so, if the bike was already 18 months old when it was bought, this wouldnt apply? have i got that right?

adriang Feb 16th 2006 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
Sleeping Beauty, it makes a difference in so far that you have to pay 10% GST (tax) on anything under 12 months old that you import (I think that's about right) On a 6000 GBP bike that could be up to A$1500.

so, if the bike was already 18 months old when it was bought, this wouldnt apply? have i got that right?[/QUOTE]

have a look on the Dotars website, they have a 'brochure' that gives some guidelines on the various calculations.

stevenpoole9 Feb 17th 2006 7:08 am

I think so, but I'm not really an expert on the subject.
I've just got the immpression form the information I've got that it's not really worth it.

r1c1 May 7th 2006 1:21 pm

Hi.

Great to see plenty of bikers heading to Oz.

I'm selling R1 in Uk and buying 05/06 model in Oz. Prices for jap bikes seem quite good in Oz so it makes better sense for me. This and the fact that i can replace old mode with new model. :D

Steve.

lorraine111 May 7th 2006 3:18 pm

hi
i have been reading this thread with interest as i have been going around in circles trying to find out if hubby will be able to take his bike to oz but as we are applying for a temporary contributory visa i think i am reading it right that he will not be able to. if anyone knows any different i would be glad of any advice. thanks

YoSemite May 7th 2006 3:23 pm

i think you have to be a PR or citizen to import cars/bikes etc... dunno - just heard that from someone else!