Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Motor mechanic's tools....

Shipping Motor mechanic's tools....

Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Miss G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Motor mechanic's tools....

Is it true that if my husband takes his tool over to Oz it will be expensive? Can anybody give me a idea of fee's and tax's ect.
I have recently been quoted £800 for our household goods?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:44 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping Motor mechanic's tools....

Hi
If you are coming to oz and have many tools in a roll top etc, if they are snap on or blue point then i would bring them as to taxes i was not charged any more money with my snap on roll top and bottom 6 roller draws, all you need to make sure is the tools are clean, tools are more expensive in oz than uk
all the best
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bring them. As Trevski says they need to be very clean - good wipe over and a spray with WD40 (no old oil or matter on them). We brought all ours in our container but if you're paying 800 pound presumably you don't have a container. However if they're cheap tools then you may not want the expense of shipping them. Ours were all Snap On so it would have been crazy not to.

The other thing the think about is when your stuff leaves and when you do. We had our container leave a month before we did so as soon as we had a place to live here our container had arrived and hubby had all his stuff. If your stuff leaves when you do, you'll have a period of time when your husband doesn't have his tools and he may need them if he gets work immediately in which case he'd either have to borrow or buy some to tied him over.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Thats great thanks people, Whilst we are on the subject of mechanics my husband has 13 years experience mainely with vauxell. What is the average monthly salary for a motor mechanic? I am struggling to find this anywhere but need to work out what we will be able to afford ect.
He has all his own tools mainly snap on like yourself.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:25 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
To answer your question about mechanics wages, I am a service centre manager with a large tyre and mechanical company, I pay for a qualified Australian mechanic $18-21 per hour for a 38 hour week and overtime on Saturday , it also can go up if you become a 2ic and if you hold a road worthy licence
hope this helps
trev

Last edited by Trevski; Jun 9th 2009 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very helpful. Is there anything else I need to know about being a mechanic in Oz thats different form Uk?
Is skilled sponsor a common thing in the Mechanic industry?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 11:14 am
Living our life wherever

Hi
I'm afraid that there is not much in skilled sponsor in mechanics because there a quite a few mechanics looking for jobs at the present.
The way mechanics work is a bit different with the problems that occur on cars in oz but don't happen in UK, also the cars and models have many different aspects in oz.
trev