Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping A Moped/scooter

Shipping A Moped/scooter

Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice
Default Shipping A Moped/scooter

Hi Folks

Has anyone shipped over a scooter or moped to Perth, WA? OH wants to bring his but not sure if it is allowed in our 20ft container? It is about 10 years old so hopefully no import tax to be paid on it.

Thanks

Carol x
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping A Moped/scooter

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Hi Folks

Has anyone shipped over a scooter or moped to Perth, WA? OH wants to bring his but not sure if it is allowed in our 20ft container? It is about 10 years old so hopefully no import tax to be paid on it.

Thanks

Carol x
We shipped 4 motorbikes in our container - you just need to make sure it's properly crated up, drained of fuel, battery disconnected etc. Although you won't have to pay import tax, you will need to pay GST. Don't know about WA but here in QLD we had to get a valuer to value the bikes and then customs assessed the GST based on his valuation.

You need to check in WA the procedures you'll need to follow to get it registered. Here we've had to have the bikes inspected and fitted with a compliance plate. You then have to pay stamp duty as well as rego, CTP and comprehensive insurance, if you think you want it. I really don't like to think how much it has cost us to bring all 4 of ours over :scared:

TBH, with a moped, unless it's of great sentimental value I wouldn't have thought it would be worth it.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

As Nicstids said, unless it is worth a lot or has sentimental value just get a new one when you get here, so cheap to get a new one, trying to persuade the missus to get one.....
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:39 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
Hi Folks

Thanks

Carol x
I've just shipped a motorcycle and 2 lambretta scooters. If you drop me a PM with an email, I can send some info to you.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Sent you a PM Adrian, thanks.
Originally Posted by adriang
I've just shipped a motorcycle and 2 lambretta scooters. If you drop me a PM with an email, I can send some info to you.