shipping a merc car to oz

Old May 14th 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

tony6524 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping a merc car to oz

hi i would like to ship my mercedes to oz,does anyone know much about this
Old May 14th 2007, 12:18 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping a merc car to oz

Originally Posted by tony6524
Which type, how old, and where to ?

In most cases its not worth the cost & hassle. (and I would imagine spares could be costly)
Old May 14th 2007, 12:22 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Unless it's an old classic, you could be up for lots of cost and hassle. Have a look at one of my posts for costs etc ( new convertible beetle ).

However, if you love it and don't mind the above - then go for it. I don't regret my decision, now it's here, although did at the time.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:02 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony6524
Depends on the Merc as to wheather or not it's worth it. My SLK cost <30k in the UK was 2 years old and cost over $100k to replace here second hand!! so it would have been worth bringing it. I could have sold it here and made a tidy profit even including shipping costs etc.

Check out the second hand and new price of the same car here and if it's more than about £6k pounds difference then bring it over. Has to be over a year old though and most merc's cop the luxury car import tax.

I've lost the details of the company in the UK I contacted sorry but I did find them on the web.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I personally wouldn't bother, most Aussies can't drive and one day you'll return to your car from the shops to find some new "styling down the side of it!
Vicroads has a lot to answer for!
Old May 15th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi

OH has BMW and considered it. We sought the advice of shipping company and they said it used to be a good thing to do but the Oz government have changed laws on car import to make it not a good option.

They charge you import tax on shipping, tax on value of car in Oz and not UK, you HAVE to use Mercedes to change speedometer to Kilometers only and drain aircon (if applicable). You have to have engine steam cleaned in UK and Oz. Once car gets to Oz it will be checked and re-checked by Merc and have aircon regassed (12 weeks of drained aircon can lead to seized pipes and connections).

They were dead against it so we are not taking BMW. Also checked with BMW and when you get there, all parts have to be shipped from Germany as Oz holds no stock. Classed as luxury car so part very expensive.

Hope this helps.