Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping lawnmower/garden tools

shipping lawnmower/garden tools

Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default shipping lawnmower/garden tools

hi,
planning on ping ponging back to australia in august,
has anyone shipped their garden tools,lawnmower,pressure washer?
if so how much were you charged for spraying at other end.
i moved to australia a few years ago and decided not to take my garden equipment,we had a small nativity set with a moss roof,they wanted $40/$50
dollars to spray this which was more than it cost
i shipped lawnmower and garden equipment back to the UK with me and have never used it,it would be a pity to leave it.

any advice much appreciated.

thanks
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping lawnmower/garden tools

Nothing ....as we cleaned before we left. We decided to leave our lawnmower behind as it was too hard to clean .
Everything else including kids garden swing set, metal tools etc we cleaned with Flora disinfectant and they were fine.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
Nothing ....as we cleaned before we left. We decided to leave our lawnmower behind as it was too hard to clean .
Everything else including kids garden swing set, metal tools etc we cleaned with Flora disinfectant and they were fine.
hi,thanks for getting back
hopefully we'll have better luck this time,i'll clean everything like last time and hope for the best
i'm determined to take my lawnmower,i've used it once
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

We used jeyes fluid to soak and the clean all tools and garden equipment, except lawnmower and strimmer. They were cheapies, lightweight and old. Never got anything sprayed at all.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:30 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
hi,
planning on ping ponging back to australia in august,
has anyone shipped their garden tools,lawnmower,pressure washer?
if so how much were you charged for spraying at other end.
i moved to australia a few years ago and decided not to take my garden equipment,we had a small nativity set with a moss roof,they wanted $40/$50
dollars to spray this which was more than it cost
i shipped lawnmower and garden equipment back to the UK with me and have never used it,it would be a pity to leave it.

any advice much appreciated.

thanks
I used a pressure washer and then painted the lawnmower blades and the underside.
Same with garden spades, forks etc. There can be no dirt or even a single blade of grass (which I'm sure you know) so just spend a couple of hours cleaning everything thoroughly.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I used a pressure washer and then painted the lawnmower blades and the underside.
Same with garden spades, forks etc. There can be no dirt or even a single blade of grass (which I'm sure you know) so just spend a couple of hours cleaning everything thoroughly.
We did the same- pressure wash everything, wipe it with jeyes and ensure it smells of jeyes, paint and varnish old/flaky tools- both blades and handles, to make them look well cared for.

They opened one box, that our wellies were in, but nothing had to be sprayed.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the reply folks,i'll get my elbow grease into them.
i bought a lawnmower in perth as i was fed up waiting on gardners failing to come and do it,i remember thinking why do these gardners wear these big gaitors on their legsit must be for snake bites
i duly cut my front and back grass[quite long} in my flip flops sorry,thongs.
the next day my shins and ankles were like a dart board with bites
now i know why they wear gaitors,lesson learned
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

blondiefee is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to know - useful info. Ta.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

AQIS also look for boxes labelled 'tools' 'garden tools' 'shoes' to check as well as other random ones.

All of our garden tools had been opened and checked for grass/dirt/rust.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
thanks for the reply folks,i'll get my elbow grease into them.
i bought a lawnmower in perth as i was fed up waiting on gardners failing to come and do it,i remember thinking why do these gardners wear these big gaitors on their legsit must be for snake bites
i duly cut my front and back grass[quite long} in my flip flops sorry,thongs.
the next day my shins and ankles were like a dart board with bites
now i know why they wear gaitors,lesson learned
And to stop all the bits getting in their boots and eventually stick in their socks!!!