Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping large lcd tv

Shipping large lcd tv

Old Oct 31st 2007, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Shipping large lcd tv

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has sent their pride & joy LCD over with rest of their stuff? Did you pack in original box or wrap in cotton wool? Is it worth it anyway? Just some thought splease!
Dan
Old Oct 31st 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield (UK) -> Kitchener (Canada) -> Perth (Aus)
DimWit17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping large lcd tv

My moving company are actually going to put the TV in a wooden crate so it doesnt get damaged.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:58 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has sent their pride & joy LCD over with rest of their stuff? Did you pack in original box or wrap in cotton wool? Is it worth it anyway? Just some thought splease!
Dan
as dimwit said, your packer will build a box, and crate it. The item, gets wrapped, and a little sign saying FRAGILE THIS WAY UP

always makes me laugh..

does that indicate its not fragile other way up??
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

They wrapped the big ones up in paper and made a cardboard box to fit and padded it out really well, was cheaper than having a crate made up and fully insured cos they packed them.

S-j
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:26 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hey Dan

I have personally shipped my husbands pride and joy from Canada to UK - we kept the originally packaging as this is usually the safest.

I also work for a shipping company and the other option as mentioned is to get a wooden crate specially made for it by the shipping company you use. This will add maybe £40-70 to the cost. Again it's best to get the movers to check it so you will be able to insure it for damage as maybe policies will not cover 'owner packed' effects for this.

We are shipping the TV again in 6 months, and it will be back into it's original packaging.

Enjoy your TV!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Hey Dan

I have personally shipped my husbands pride and joy from Canada to UK - we kept the originally packaging as this is usually the safest.

I also work for a shipping company and the other option as mentioned is to get a wooden crate specially made for it by the shipping company you use. This will add maybe £40-70 to the cost. Again it's best to get the movers to check it so you will be able to insure it for damage as maybe policies will not cover 'owner packed' effects for this.

We are shipping the TV again in 6 months, and it will be back into it's original packaging.

Enjoy your TV!

when i finally make the move i also will be sending some of my stuff over and my plasma and lcd will be coming,is it s good idea to keep the boxes for them to pack them back into,did i read if they are packed this way they are not insured?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:00 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Hi,
Dan
We sold ours on Ebay in the UK, then bought a newer, better model over here, only ended up spending a few hundred quid more, plus you then have the warranty on the new one, and you also saved the cost of shipping. If you advertise it on eBay as "buyer to collect" you wont have any postal costs/hassles either.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:12 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brian.w
when i finally make the move i also will be sending some of my stuff over and my plasma and lcd will be coming,is it s good idea to keep the boxes for them to pack them back into,did i read if they are packed this way they are not insured?
This depends on the shipping company. I always insure the customers as long as the box is sealed by the crew and they check it first. As long as there is no visible damage, I don't see why you can't get cover. Electrical Derrangement is a separate insurance (if you plug the TV in and it doesn't work but there is no visible damage) - but this would only be if the voltage changes and in my opinion isn't worth it.

Ask the companies. If you offer to let them pack the box, then there really should be no reason for them not to insure it - especially as the insure tends to be the best money maker - as we all know, insurance is only worth it if something happens

Otherwise, go with the suggestion by cadburys - buy a new one, things are getting cheaper out there.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Our TV arrived yesterday along with our other stuff YEAH!

Its a Philips CRT TV with Digital Decoder built-in (very unusual for CRT).

Anyway, Philips told me it would work i.e. PAL B (UK) to PAL G (Oz), well after some messing about telling it I was not in UK, but somewhere else in Europe etc...I did get the annalogue sound and pictures to work...

But here's the problem...

The main digital transmitter for Sydney is VHF....the TV can only recive UHF digital (there are some very local UHF digital broadcasts) but if your going for the main Sydney transmitter it wont work.

I also brought a UK set top box (Goodmans or something) that is also a DAB tuner. Again for digital TV it only receives UHF so is useless.