Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Kids Christmas Presents

Shipping Kids Christmas Presents

Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping Kids Christmas Presents

Can someone help with this problem please
Our house is being packed for shipping on the 12th and 13th December so rather than buy presents for the kids then figure out how to get them on the plane we want to buy them now, send them in the container and have a late christmas in Oz.
We have been told that we will have to pay tax on anything less than 12 months old.
Does this apply to everything or would presents be exempt.

Thanx Mark
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Kids Christmas Presents

Originally Posted by soldierblue
Can someone help with this problem please
Our house is being packed for shipping on the 12th and 13th December so rather than buy presents for the kids then figure out how to get them on the plane we want to buy them now, send them in the container and have a late christmas in Oz.
We have been told that we will have to pay tax on anything less than 12 months old.
Does this apply to everything or would presents be exempt.

Thanx Mark
Can't you just buy them once you're in Australia
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

soldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of lightsoldierblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by curly
Can't you just buy them once you're in Australia
The problem is family have already bought them their presents

Thanx Mark
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Mark
Oh right shame they didn't give them the money instead, would've made life easier for you eh???
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:06 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Mark
Maybe you could ship them separately so that they arrive in time for Xmas?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Confused whether the presents are already bought or your family are still purchasing.

Why not have them open small (size) presents on Christmas Day at home but have larger gifts for them to open when their stuff arrives.

Gifts you can take on the plane include: Digital cameras or video cameras, portable dvd players, gameboys, portable games such as minipictionary or mini cluedo or uno, books, small toys, jewellry, clothes, stationery.

Gifts they may want when they get here are new footballs/goal posts (unless you can really be bothered cleaning and jeyes'ing them before you post them), new bedding for their new rooms, larger games and toys and winter clothes as you'll be arriving in summer so won't need those straight away.

Obviously this will be affected severely by your budget.

There is supposed to be a tax payable for new goods but we'd brought a few things still in wrapping and no-one mentioned it. I think it's intended to stop people importing stuff for immediate sale. It appears if it's part of your general household stuff they won't bother.

If you do fly with expensive equipment our insurers (downunder insurance who do a one-way cover) suggested we split the items between the travellers as there's a financial or item limit per person, so my son had his gameboy, my daughter her digital camera and I had the other camera. If I'd had them all itemised on my policy then they wouldn't all have been covered.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Thanks for the info.
Family have already bought the pressies for them so we thought we would get ours now for them as well.

We are hoping to use Australia Day as a present day for them and as we wont get there till the 23nd didnt really want to spend the first couple of days pressie hunting when I need to find a job.

Isn't so much the budget is an issue its the volume as we have 5 kids which comes to alot of stuff.
We were thinking of getting little things for them for the day sweets and things as 4 of them are under 4 so they dont even really understand the christmas thing yet.
I'm just kinda hoping that they wont say that they're under 12 months old and want tax paying on them.
Thanks for the info on the insurance as well.

Cheers Mark
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi
Isn't so much the budget is an issue its the volume as we have 5 kids which comes to alot of stuff.
We were thinking of getting little things for them for the day sweets and things as 4 of them are under 4 so they dont even really understand the christmas thing yet.
I'm just kinda hoping that they wont say that they're under 12 months old and want tax paying on them.
Thanks for the info on the insurance as well.

Cheers Mark
Sweets and comics are lovely ideas - I haven't seen many comics like our UK ones by the way. All the Letterland, BBC, Tellytubbies, Bob the Builder etc. I've only seen back home so they may be a nice treat.

When you are bringing sweets in though (in your luggage) be sure to keep them all in one case and declare them at customs - this usually puts you in a much shorter queue and as long as they're wrapped there shouldn't be a problem bringing them through. The only foodstuffs they question are unpackaged (including opened packets of baby formula), unprocessed and/or containing egg or dairy,

I'm not sure which items you were worried about for duty on new products. I really don't think they'll worry for a few personal items but I suppose it depends on luck or whether they're losing in the cricket.

Have fun and good luck to you travelling with 5 little darlings.

Flip