Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping just a few stuff.

Shipping just a few stuff.

Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Shipping just a few stuff.

Shipping costs are high, so I'm planning to take as little as possible, perhaps just a pc, game console, hi-fi, clothes and a few books, documents. Is this a good idea? or should I take more/less?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping just a few stuff.

o and how much would this amount of stuff cost to ship?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

sloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Shipping costs are high, so I'm planning to take as little as possible, perhaps just a pc, game console, hi-fi, clothes and a few books, documents. Is this a good idea? or should I take more/less?
Hi heres a few websites for you to look at for costs etc

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/home.aspx

http://www.freedomshipping.com/
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Basty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to allBasty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
o and how much would this amount of stuff cost to ship?

I was advised by a friend whom went to Perth 18 months ago - to take everything even down to pegs, wall plugs etc - take what you have cos things over there aren't that cheap.
Only what I have been told so.....................at the end of the day you know what you want to take or not, I am having a good clear out before I go, but I know what my friend is on about cos we've been to NZ and shipped all our stuff there but wish we had taken more !!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:33 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Hiya,

I sent 10 boxes over filled with things you've mentioned above and a few other things. I used Crown and it costs approx £370 which I was happy with as other quotes I received were more expensive.

It's a personal choice on sending things over as to how much you should take. Personally I've only sent over a few boxes as I'll be staying with my parents for awhile so I don't have to worry about furnishing a house and what not.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:50 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

Originally Posted by sloane46

I've been thinking the same thing...what to take and leave...the Sevenseas site was interesting....just need to figure out how much stuff I would get in a tea chest

Regards
Laura
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sloane46

Just checked out these websites, they are a fair bit cheaper than the shipping company I was about to contact. Sending you some karma!

Debbie
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

graniteman will become famous soon enough

Hi

Our gear left on Friday with Seven Seas.

6 tea chests & one self packed Flat screen TV on 60 day overland at a cost of £428.62. That included about £90 in insurance costs.

A tip if you are sending out a flat screen TV is to pack it yourself (lots of bubble rap and make a box out off a box kinda thing!) It is only costing £23 to ship.

We made three lists to help decide what to take:

1 stuff you have to take
2 stuff you could take or buy when you get to Oz
3 stuff you would like to take if you have spare space

For number 2 we basicly had household goods. Bedding, kitchenwear etc. We priced what it would cost to buy new in Oz and compared it to the cost of shipping. we are on a real tight budget so it was a no brainer to ship.

Try buying all your kitchen wear, towels, bedding etc for a family of three for £90 which is the cost of two tea chests.

bottom line is do your sums and take as much as you can afford.

cheers

Andy2
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by graniteman
Hi

6 tea chests & one self packed Flat screen TV on 60 day overland at a cost of £428.62. That included about £90 in insurance costs.

A tip if you are sending out a flat screen TV is to pack it yourself (lots of bubble rap and make a box out off a box kinda thing!) It is only costing £23 to ship.

1 stuff you have to take

For number 2 we basicly had household goods. Bedding, kitchenwear etc. We priced what it would cost to buy new in Oz and compared it to the cost of shipping. we are on a real tight budget so it was a no brainer to ship.

Try buying all your kitchen wear, towels, bedding etc for a family of three for £90 which is the cost of two tea chests.

cheers

Andy2

Your tip about packing your self is no good check with the insurance it usally says if you pack the goods yourself it will not be insured.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Hi

1 stuff you have to take

cheers

Andy2
Hi can you tell me what size of tv as we have not long bought a 32 in lcd and we were thinking of taking this oh could make up a box no problem
as we are only going to be taking a few boxes as when we were over we priced a lot of stuff and found that it was the same or similar prices and they also have an ikea for some bits and bobs
good luck everyone kate
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

nickynush will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimandkate
Hi can you tell me what size of tv as we have not long bought a 32 in lcd and we were thinking of taking this oh could make up a box no problem
as we are only going to be taking a few boxes as when we were over we priced a lot of stuff and found that it was the same or similar prices and they also have an ikea for some bits and bobs
good luck everyone kate
I thought UK tvs didn't work in Oz!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

It is my understanding that UK TV will work as long as you are using digibox style thing - ie telstra, sky. We are planning to take 2 37in ones the kids got for Xmas. Cost to ship looks fab with Seven Seas too!!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

domco77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billymacker
Your tip about packing your self is no good check with the insurance it usally says if you pack the goods yourself it will not be insured.
Good point...I'll be using Sevenseas as they seem to be a lot cheaper than the others. I had a feeling they had to seal all the packaging?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

1 stuff you have to take

cheers

Andy2
What sizeish is a tea cheast?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Originally Posted by GillyG
What sizeish is a tea cheast?
Hi just checked tea chest is 61hx51dx41w
book box 51hx41dx31w
Hope this helps but they have a good web page that helps you to work out a price
Kate