Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping insurance - is it worth it?

Shipping insurance - is it worth it?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Shipping insurance - is it worth it?

We're looking to send over a load of boxes mainly containing clothes, CDs, bits and bobs. We're not getting a container - just sending some boxes sea feight.
I'm just wondering what kind of price you can expect to pay for insurance (is it based on the value of your goods?) and is it really worth it if there's nothing really valuable?
I know I should probably research this myself, but I just wondered if anyone had a bit more knowledge as it always seems very complicated trying to get prices for this kind of thing
Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Shipping insurance - is it worth it?

Originally Posted by DianneH68
We're looking to send over a load of boxes mainly containing clothes, CDs, bits and bobs. We're not getting a container - just sending some boxes sea feight.
I'm just wondering what kind of price you can expect to pay for insurance (is it based on the value of your goods?) and is it really worth it if there's nothing really valuable?
I know I should probably research this myself, but I just wondered if anyone had a bit more knowledge as it always seems very complicated trying to get prices for this kind of thing
Thanks
I would say it depends on what you class as being "valuable" or of personal value. I guess some of the stuff you're shipping out must be of some value otherwise you wouldnt bother sending it at all. Personally i think anyone in this day and age when sending anything by sea-freight or air-freight would be mad not to have some kind of insurance cover. I work in insurance and there are MANY marine and aviation claims each year for lost or damaged goods!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping insurance - is it worth it?

Originally Posted by travelbug
I would say it depends on what you class as being "valuable" or of personal value. I guess some of the stuff you're shipping out must be of some value otherwise you wouldnt bother sending it at all. Personally i think anyone in this day and age when sending anything by sea-freight or air-freight would be mad not to have some kind of insurance cover. I work in insurance and there are MANY marine and aviation claims each year for lost or damaged goods!!!!
Thanks for that.
I guess my thought is that if it's of 'personal value' then it's irreplacable so no amount of insurance money would be of any use.
As for 'valuable' I suppose clothes would add up to a bit but if the insurance was going to cost something like £100 (and I really have no idea even of a ballpark figure for insurance ) then it doesn't seem worth it as nothing is particularly special.
I guess it would come down to the price in the end.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Shipping insurance - is it worth it?

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Thanks for that.
I guess my thought is that if it's of 'personal value' then it's irreplacable so no amount of insurance money would be of any use.
As for 'valuable' I suppose clothes would add up to a bit but if the insurance was going to cost something like £100 (and I really have no idea even of a ballpark figure for insurance ) then it doesn't seem worth it as nothing is particularly special.
I guess it would come down to the price in the end.

Hi, i would suggest that you just enquire with a couple of co's regarding the price. If you type in "shipping freight insurance" in Askjeeves for example and select UK only instead of worldwide web it brings up various insurance/freight co's UK based and many have online quotation forms that you can fill in and they'll Email you back with a price. Might be worth enquiring - you might get a good deal and it would then give you piece of mind (although you sound like you dont really need that - UNLIKE WHAT I WOULD!!)....
Good Luck!