Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping insurance - Letton Percival

Shipping insurance - Letton Percival

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

helsbells79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping insurance - Letton Percival

We are in the manic stages of exchanging contracts on our house, and looking to move to sydney in early jan. We've just got back from Oz last night and have the day off to combat the jetlag, but have found we are now trying to start sorting out our house move!! So, I have a question -

Has anyone used Letton Percival to insure the contents of their container?? They have quoted us 1.6% of the value of the insured goods...which is a lot less than the 3% JOhn Masons qutoed. I have spoken to Letton Percival's today and the cover seems to give us everything we need...but just wondered if anyone had any experiences to share with me...good or bad!!!!!!

Thanks

Helen
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping insurance - Letton Percival

Used them and, due to a PC getting buggered up during shipping, had to use claim from them too. Found them very efficient on all levels, paid up without issue. Would use them again.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Stefjt will become famous soon enoughStefjt will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by helsbells79
We are in the manic stages of exchanging contracts on our house, and looking to move to sydney in early jan. We've just got back from Oz last night and have the day off to combat the jetlag, but have found we are now trying to start sorting out our house move!! So, I have a question -

Has anyone used Letton Percival to insure the contents of their container?? They have quoted us 1.6% of the value of the insured goods...which is a lot less than the 3% JOhn Masons qutoed. I have spoken to Letton Percival's today and the cover seems to give us everything we need...but just wondered if anyone had any experiences to share with me...good or bad!!!!!!

Thanks

Helen
I'm thinking of using this company for insurance too so don't have any advice but will be watching this thread!
Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Used them, claimed numerous damaged and broken items including a tv with a funny colour appearing in the corner of the screen.

Just had to get local repair/write off quotes for most items (a few they just took my word for as they weren't a lot). They paid up promptly. Definately recommend them based on my experience.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

I'm using them, filled out the forms sent them off, so my stuff is covered with them, but my shipment is due to sail 5th November so it will be a while before i can check my household goods arrive safely in Oz, but my dealings with Letton Percival so far have been good, when I ring and have questions they are always happy to talk me through the process, and advise what I should do etc, no problems with them so far.
Andrea
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

I was going to use them until i discovered that 1. their insurance doesn't cover damage done during packing/unpacking and 2. they charge 3% on any valuables (china, glass) which must also be packaged by an 'expert in shipping antiques'. With this, there was little between them & D Bonner at 2.7%.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't pay any extra or have experts and they certianly didn't tell us we needed it. We had professional overseas packers (for all the good it did us). Isn't the packing/unpacking bit automatically covered by the packers contract and the insurance for the shipping bit with everyone
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Safin
We didn't pay any extra or have experts and they certianly didn't tell us we needed it. We had professional overseas packers (for all the good it did us). Isn't the packing/unpacking bit automatically covered by the packers contract and the insurance for the shipping bit with everyone
Nope, packing/unpacking isn't covered by the removals company. I checked. The 'experts' were for packing an antique ceramics collection, high value. LP insisted I use them. Professional removals companies didnt count as experts.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ok I guess that's because mine weren't valuable antiques just ordinary china and glass!!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Safin
ok I guess that's because mine weren't valuable antiques just ordinary china and glass!!!!!
yup, thaz why they wanted to charge 3% on that stuff as opposed to 1.6% on everythng else. By the time I worked out the cost of "experts" and "special packaging" and 3% insurance there was no difference between LP & D Bonner's 2.7% flat rate. And alot more hassle with LP having to arrange all the 'extras'.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Was well pleased with LP. John Mason use them anyway but I wasn't prepared to pay 3% when I could get the same cover for 1.5%. No hassle, just had the forms to put in amounts and all done.

Didn't need to claim as there was no damage to anything so can't help as to that side of things.