Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping insurance - Help Please!!!!!!

Shipping insurance - Help Please!!!!!!

Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Shipping insurance - Help Please!!!!!!

I've searched on previous threads and can't really find what I'm after -

basically I'd decided to use Letton Percival - mainly because of all the good reports from this site - then when it got closer to the time for decisions discovered that they are quoting £500 excess which seems a bit much! They are quoting 1.5% +5%tax £750+37.50 787.50 +£500 excess - Based on £50000 Cover

Shipping company are quoting 3% but lower excess. The mould and mildew seems to be an issue = our mattress was ruined after being in storage as had got mildewy and its a very expensive orthopaedic one. Also we'll be sending clothes, blankets, bedding, handbags, toys etc etc so I want to make sure that we are properly covered - even if it costs a bit more

Any advice?

Also - where do you get the money from to pay shippers and insurance when your house sale hasn't gone through before you move out???? Best part of £5K needed and with loans, cars and bills to pay not sure if the bank will lend us that amount for a month!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:41 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping insurance - Help Please!!!!!!

[QUOTE=zenamethyst;5049497] The mould and mildew seems to be an issue QUOTE]

We used Letton Percival.

No mold or damage... guess we were lucky.
The container 'got lost' and sat in Rotterdam for 30 days, before heading to Oz via America, the Panama Canal, The Cooke Islands, New Zealand, Sydney, Melbourne and finally Perth. It was fun tracking the container on the web.... certailnly an exciting journey... wish we'd been with it!

Neil.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not aware of any who have shipped their stuff over who have had mould issues., and there have been a fair few hundred since I started reading. Ooh just remembered one but his was a particularly nasty case that wasn't normal.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zenamethyst

Also - where do you get the money from to pay shippers and insurance when your house sale hasn't gone through before you move out???? Best part of £5K needed and with loans, cars and bills to pay not sure if the bank will lend us that amount for a month!
I can't help you with the insurance and mould issue, I've still not decided if I'm going to bother with insurance yet even though my stuff is packed and in storage waiting for shipping. What I can tell you is I explained to all shippers when they visited that I couldn't afford to pay til my house completed which was imminent but ended up taking 4 weeks longer than expected. Anyway with some you had to pay a deposit and the balance before it was actually shipped but I went with Crown in the end for 2 reasons
1. best price, some free storage and all fees (AQUIS etc) included
2. they let me pay the whole amount once my house sale had completed and even though I had problems and it was 4 weeks later than expected they didn't once get in touch and ask where the money was. Obviously they won't ship it til paid but that doesn't matter to me at the minute as I had to move out and put my stuff in storage anyway
Can't fault them so far