Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping insurance

shipping insurance

Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future
Default shipping insurance

Just about to sort our insurance for shipping 40ft container, did a search on Letton Percival but nothing showed up and I know I've read about them on BE, anyhow, got the forms from them, but how did anyone who used them estimate the value of there stuff, its such a difficult thing to do, as the form asks to value "bedroom furniture", so at least you havent got to value each item separately.
Can anyone who has done this give me some guidance/advice its just another thing to sort out, and as i'm on my own (hubby, daughter and dog already there:curse any help would be appreciated. Wish i was there as well but guess someone's gotta sort the house out, (now why did that have to be me )
Hopefully getting John Masons to do the move, so it anyones got anything nice to say about them also please let me know, getting slightly worried now, only 5 weeks till they come, and got a million things to do,
Andrea
x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping insurance

We are using JM too. Was very impressed with the guy who came out & they are the only company who have bothered to follow up! We were also told by other companies that we would need a full container whereas they said that with good packing, we only need part. Big difference financially for us
OH & I have to do the insurance forms this weekend. Just give an approximate cost for what it would be to replace.
Good luck as it must be very hard having to do it on your own!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:16 am
ABCDiamond

An old thread at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336246

Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...etton+percival

This is a bit more recent!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:15 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Letton Percival - 0151 236 4568 - they offer marine insurance for 1.6%. John Mason are charging 3%
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:53 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andreak
Letton Percival: got the forms from them, but how did anyone who used them estimate the value of their stuff, it's such a difficult thing to do, as the form asks to value "bedroom furniture", so at least you havent got to value each item separately.
When we did it, I spent hours on this spread over several days. It's not really difficult but time consuming and very very boring.

I set up a spreadsheet and mentally/physically went through each room in the house and listed all our possessions. I then went on the websites of the kinds of shops we'd be visiting if we had to buy our stuff new in the UK. I then used the prices from those websites. I did value each item seperately. Otherwise, if one bedside table is damaged they might not pay you what it's worth.

Like I said, it took ages. You'll find that especially your kitchen contains an amazing amount of "stuff". And it's surprising how it all adds up!

The total value of everything we owned was frightening. (Discovered we'd been underinsured for years.)

Gina